Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that SXTH have a breather delete. Also note that in the description of the Tork Catch Can he said that the breather side is the most problematic. If I use the breather delete the oil will be pushed out through the littler K&N filter to the engine bay? Or this is suppose to be used in conjunction with the baffled oil catch can and connect the little K&N filter at the OCC outlet and plug the intake?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Either way. You can run the breather right off the engine or run to a catch can and vent off of that. I've had a little breather filter on mine for a while and although the filter changes color from the vapor, I've never seen it actually leak any fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Also note that in the description of the Tork Catch Can he said that the breather side is the most problematic. If I use the breather delete the oil will be pushed out through the littler K&N filter to the engine bay?

To date, Tork seems to be the only member of the community that is trapping more via the breather side than the PCV side. I've never been able to suss that out - even other people running the Tork catch cans don't collect much on the breather side. So, you'll have to decide for yourself which is more important.

Yes, the oil vapors will be pushed out through the little filter. I ran one of these on my VT and there was never anything that dripped out of it, which is what you'd expect if the breather was more problematic than the PCV side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To date, Tork seems to be the only member of the community that is trapping more via the breather side than the PCV side. I've never been able to suss that out - even other people running the Tork catch cans don't collect much on the breather side. So, you'll have to decide for yourself which is more important.

Yes, the oil vapors will be pushed out through the little filter. I ran one of these on my VT and there was never anything that dripped out of it, which is what you'd expect if the breather was more problematic than the PCV side.
Ok, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Either way. You can run the breather right off the engine or run to a catch can and vent off of that. I've had a little breather filter on mine for a while and although the filter changes color from the vapor, I've never seen it actually leak any fluid.
Man, I can’t believe you’re running your setup like that. I would use a OCC over the delete. It just means you’ll have to change the K&N filter more often running it like that. I’m even more surprised you aren’t running a OCC on the PCV side, or maybe I missed that if it was mentioned somewhere on the forum.

* in bold - thanks for the laugh. Yeah, I saw the Tork video long ago when it first came out. Freaked me out a little, but I quickly knew it couldn’t be possibly with 250 miles (or whatever they were claiming at the time of the posted YouTube video).

I’m running a dual catch can setup. I’m using the larger Mishimoto cans in the link below. I had a custom mount made in order to use ‘em.

https://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-baffled-oil-catch-can.html

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Man, I can’t believe you’re running your setup like that. I would use a OCC over the delete. It just means you’ll have to change the K&N filter more often running it like that. I’m even more surprised you aren’t running a OCC on the PCV side, or maybe I missed that if it was mentioned somewhere on the forum.
It's on the list, just haven't gotten to it yet. No spare money at the moment.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I’m running a dual catch can setup. I’m using the larger Mishimoto cans in the link below. I had a custom mount made in order to use ‘em.
Would you have a picture of the mount you had made and where you mounted the cans? I'm looking to mount two ADD W1's, which look pretty similar to yours and I'm not sure the best way to mount them.

Reactions: kdetlor

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's on the list, just haven't gotten to it yet. No spare money at the moment.
Eh-yeah...the mod list never seems to slow down as to what needs to be done next...I hear ya there! I really want to add the carbon fiber steering wheel I’ve seen. I’m iffy on the quality of the CF used, but I’m sure I’ll pull the trigger come this Spring.

Would you have a picture of the mount you had made and where you mounted the cans? I'm looking to mount two ADD W1's, which look pretty similar to yours and I'm not sure the best way to mount them.
I really don’t like sharing projects before they’re finished, but I will just this once. Keep in mind the clean side for the breather isn’t finished just yet. I could cap it off and call it a day, but I want more of a flowing method into the can without pressure buildup. I also have to add the finishing touches like the AN hose line separators to give it more of a clean appearance. These Mishimoto cans are huge! I’m using custom braided lines with AN fittings for more of a professional appearance.

For more info on what I’ve done, follow the link —> http://www.elantrasport.com/forum/82249-post5.html

I haven’t mentioned everything in my mod list...I’ll get around to that at some point. Looks sexy and clean, right? Well, I wasn’t going to share it unless it was finished, so be happy I did :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I haven’t mentioned everything in my mod list...I’ll get around to that at some point. Looks sexy and clean, right? Well, I wasn’t going to share it unless it was finished, so be happy I did :D
Thanks for sharing the pic - definitely looks awesome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
ELI5: Catch Can Purpose?

New gearhead here:

So I've been skimming through this forum and it seems that these catch cans are necessary due to the fact that the car is GDI and a turbo. That said, I really don't understand what is going on and why these are necessary. If I keep the car stock indefinitely, is this still a needed mod? Why wouldn't Hyundai include this in this stock setup?

A general, high level description of how these deposits work and the problem with them would also be beneficial.

Finally, is there a corrective measure to clean the manifold if you don't get these cans and instead drive the car stock? Is this the fuel additive Hyundai talks about in the manual?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
New gearhead here:

So I've been skimming through this forum and it seems that these catch cans are necessary due to the fact that the car is GDI and a turbo. That said, I really don't understand what is going on and why these are necessary. If I keep the car stock indefinitely, is this still a needed mod? Why wouldn't Hyundai include this in this stock setup?

A general, high level description of how these deposits work and the problem with them would also be beneficial.

Finally, is there a corrective measure to clean the manifold if you don't get these cans and instead drive the car stock? Is this the fuel additive Hyundai talks about in the manual?

Thanks
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-2...001-2-4gdi-crc-ivd-intake-valve-cleaning.html

·
Registered
288 Posts
Engineers don’t include catch cans because it’s a maintenance item and your average consumer isn’t going to want the hassle

So instead, they use this to their advantage by doing it how they do, and then dealers get to make money on walnut blasting and other ways to overcharge the unsuspecting customers :)

And I mean, engineers are the reason we have mechanics anyway haha

·
Registered
15 Posts
New gearhead here:

Thanks

Fuel additives won't do much to our cars other than keeping our expensive injectors clean.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is why you want catch cans. This is my PCV side can after about a month of daily driving/spirited driving. It’ll get worse as it gets colder.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Engineers don’t include catch cans because it’s a maintenance item and your average consumer isn’t going to want the hassle

So instead, they use this to their advantage by doing it how they do, and then dealers get to make money on walnut blasting and other ways to overcharge the unsuspecting customers :)

And I mean, engineers are the reason we have mechanics anyway haha
I recall finding a few engines that were designed to include this function (BMW ??). Def not the norm though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
New gearhead here:

Thanks
Your average consumer wouldn't be interested in having to empty an oil catch can, only the enthusiast. I haven't installed them on this car so I'm not entirely sure, but I doubt you could wait to empty them at the same time as oil changes say at a dealership. I know my previous car that I installed OCC on had to be emptied a little more frequently.

Lastly there can be some issues with OCC's in colder climates. I'm not sure if anyone else has any input on this because I've avoided installing them on this car due to previous experience. I'm in Canada and while most days are fine during the Winter, we did have an extreme cold spell at one point and my lines froze up on my last car causing an oil leak.

I would like to install them on the ES as it's pretty amazing what you catch in them, but I'm cautious now. And if it means uninstalling them for the Winter and reinstalling in the Spring, I couldn't be bothered.

Anyone in colder climates running OCC without issues?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your average consumer wouldn't be interested in having to empty an oil catch can, only the enthusiast. I haven't installed them on this car so I'm not entirely sure, but I doubt you could wait to empty them at the same time as oil changes say at a dealership. I know my previous car that I installed OCC on had to be emptied a little more frequently.

Lastly there can be some issues with OCC's in colder climates. I'm not sure if anyone else has any input on this because I've avoided installing them on this car due to previous experience. I'm in Canada and while most days are fine during the Winter, we did have an extreme cold spell at one point and my lines froze up on my last car causing an oil leak.

I would like to install them on the ES as it's pretty amazing what you catch in them, but I'm cautious now. And if it means uninstalling them for the Winter and reinstalling in the Spring, I couldn't be bothered.

Anyone in colder climates running OCC without issues?
How does the oil freeze? Is there water mixed with the oil?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's interesting to know... Where did the oil leak occur? In the catch can system itself or from blowing out an engine seal from excessive crankcase pressure? :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.