Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm going to purchase a ram intake from SXTH but was a little confused on the set up. What exactly is a breather delete does it have any negative or positive applications? What is the purpose of adding on this filter?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Stock, the breather line runs from the valve cover to the intake pipe. If you select the breather delete when purchasing the intake, they will cap off the port on the intake pipe and supply a small filter for the valve cover. The purpose is to eliminate oil from getting into the intake system. My breather system is hooked up to a catch can and in my experience hardly anything comes out of there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stock, the breather line runs from the valve cover to the intake pipe. If you select the breather delete when purchasing the intake, they will cap off the port on the intake pipe and supply a small filter for the valve cover. The purpose is to eliminate oil from getting into the intake system. My breather system is hooked up to a catch can and in my experience hardly anything comes out of there.
That is my main concern. Will I also need to get a catch can on top of the filter it comes with? Lastly, is my concern with emissions, am I going to have to have to reinstall the whole stock system to just pass emissions? Seems like a lot of messing around for something that doesn't do much.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I've had their breather delete for 20k miles and the filter isn't dirty enough to clean or replace. Would you consider a single catch can + breather delete sufficient or is dual catch cans the way to go? I don't autocross, just the occasional spirited drive. I don't have a real tune, just a racechip.
That might be fine. I still went dual OCC just to be safe because I am tuned. Leaving it connected on a stock car won't be an issue.

That is my main concern. Will I also need to get a catch can on top of the filter it comes with? Lastly, is my concern with emissions, am I going to have to have to reinstall the whole stock system to just pass emissions? Seems like a lot of messing around for something that doesn't do much.
I would recommend a catch can on the PCV side. For the breather it's one or the other. For emissions, depends on how they are done in your area. If they do a visual inspection, it likely won't pass. If they just scan for codes in the ECU, you'll be fine. Either way the intake is a quick swap, only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Every state is different on emission inspection but as far as causing problems on emission, it will not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.