Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was climbing in some deep snow and while I was climbing with traction control on I could feel the loss of grip, high rpm with vehicle not moving much. After about 5-7 seconds car gained momentum but then I felt a burning smell within the cabin. What it could be, brake pads or clutch. I drove the car about 50 kms after than and there was no smell. Do I need to worry about it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Traction control works by reducing engine power through various means or by applying brakes to the wheel that is spinning. Brakes can cause a burning smell, but I don't think 5-7 seconds of traction control is going to heat them up enough to cause that. I would guess it is either from the tires or the clutch. Maybe there is some clutch slip that happens as part of the traction control -- I don't know enough to say for sure. Either way I would not be too worried if it has just happened once.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Today I was climbing in some deep snow and while I was climbing with traction control on I could feel the loss of grip, high rpm with vehicle not moving much. After about 5-7 seconds car gained momentum but then I felt a burning smell within the cabin. What it could be, brake pads or clutch. I drove the car about 50 kms after than and there was no smell. Do I need to worry about it?
How long have you had the car? It might be worth noting that during the first few thousand miles my car smelled like it was burning/melting/on fire when driven Slightly harder than usual. Might just be a new car thing that hasn't worn off yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How long have you had the car? It might be worth noting that during the first few thousand miles my car smelled like it was burning/melting/on fire when driven Slightly harder than usual. Might just be a new car thing that hasn't worn off yet.
Just completed 10000 kms on it, but this was just one off instance. What I am guessing is, that in our car traction control works by applying the brakes on the wheels, so when traction control is on, and the wheel spin happens, system tries to avoid that using brakes. When we continue to gas it without the traction, the engine is trying to apply power but the traction control is applying the brakes and the smell could be of brake pads and clutch burning in DCT. Thats what I can think of, most likely it seems the burning smell from clutch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just completed 10000 kms on it, but this was just one off instance. What I am guessing is, that in our car traction control works by applying the brakes on the wheels, so when traction control is on, and the wheel spin happens, system tries to avoid that using brakes. When we continue to gas it without the traction, the engine is trying to apply power but the traction control is applying the brakes and the smell could be of brake pads and clutch burning in DCT. Thats what I can think of, most likely it seems the burning smell from clutch.
I've never noticed this. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I remember reading in my manual that the DCT will show warning messages when the temperature gets too high.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In this case it would be very beneficial to know what the different scenarios smell like (burning rubber, burning clutch or burning brakes). I know them all. A burning clutch is by far the worst smelling of the bunch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.