Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m coming from a 2001 rk-tuned bmw 328ci was wondering what’s the reliability on these Hyundai’s I have my eyes set on a black one with 43k miles directly from the Hyundai dealership from Ontario any concerns ? Let me know going to buy this car next week Sunday !!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
As long as you keep up on the maintenance you should be fine. I have 67k miles on my 2017, beat the hell out of it, and have had zero issues outside of a squeaky cooling fan that was replaced twice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Since you're buying from the Hyundai dealership directly, you should make sure that the ES is certified pre-owned to get the continued warranty.

Reactions: cb900f2

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a difference in quality between a European auto and Hyundai. Take it for a test drive and you will see it. Price and performance wise you can’t beat what the Elantra Sport offers. It is why I bought one, but quality wise I definitely seeing the difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As long as you keep up on the maintenance you should be fine. I have 67k miles on my 2017, beat the hell out of it, and have had zero issues outside of a squeaky cooling fan that was replaced twice.
Is the squeaky cooling fan just a known thing? Mine has squeaked every day when turning the car off since the day I bought it. Kinda annoying but has never caused a issue other than making noise. So I have never had it replaced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been eyeing this one a little...the Carfox is a little troubling, and it seems that the owner wore the steering wheel and shift knob out

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been eyeing this one a little...the Carfox is a little troubling, and it seems that the owner wore the steering wheel and shift knob out
He did mess up that shift knob, but the steering wheel just looks dirty. Shift knob is a easy replacent. Kinda looks like they just didn't do a good job of cleaning it. Personally, I would by a Hyundai certified pre-owned to preserve the warranty, especially if you believe there are red flags with how the old owner took care of it.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Is the squeaky cooling fan just a known thing? Mine has squeaked every day when turning the car off since the day I bought it. Kinda annoying but has never caused a issue other than making noise. So I have never had it replaced.
It just squeaked after shutting the car off and the fan spun to a stop. The first replacement started doing it after 6 months, so I had them replace it again. So far so good. Not a common issue as far as I know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a difference in quality between a European auto and Hyundai. Take it for a test drive and you will see it. Price and performance wise you can’t beat what the Elantra Sport offers. It is why I bought one, but quality wise I definitely seeing the difference.
I think you mean 'quality of materials'. The Audis and BMWs all have a higher level of luxury and better tactile feel for all the interfaces in general. But let's be fair here...I paid $18K for my 2017 6MT with Premium Package plus title, etc. That's $14K less than the entry level Audi A3 at the time, or put another way, after factoring tax and dealer fees, the Audi was very nearly TWICE the price of my ES! Our ES's are also far cheaper to maintain and insure. Engineering-wise, quality to me means a combination of functionality (functions as designed) and durability (hey, it's a daily commuter, not an F1 race car). By this definition, the ES and Hyundai's in general are certainly very high quality cars. FWIW, my ES has 46K miles and has had only one problem (steering strut) which was fixed under warranty over a couple of visits and 2 weeks total. Yes, a PITA, but my local dealership's service center was FANTASTIC to work with - courteous, professional, and communicative - and did indeed fix the issue. Can't ask for more.

But I agree with your point. There's just something intangible about German sports sedans...! In the motorcycle worlds, my old Yamaha didn't have it, but my Ducati Monster had it in spades.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think you mean 'quality of materials'. The Audis and BMWs all have a higher level of luxury and better tactile feel for all the interfaces in general. But let's be fair here...I paid $18K for my 2017 6MT with Premium Package plus title, etc. That's $14K less than the entry level Audi A3 at the time, or put another way, after factoring tax and dealer fees, the Audi was very nearly TWICE the price of my ES! Our ES's are also far cheaper to maintain and insure. Engineering-wise, quality to me means a combination of functionality (functions as designed) and durability (hey, it's a daily commuter, not an F1 race car). By this definition, the ES and Hyundai's in general are certainly very high quality cars. FWIW, my ES has 46K miles and has had only one problem (steering strut) which was fixed under warranty over a couple of visits and 2 weeks total. Yes, a PITA, but my local dealership's service center was FANTASTIC to work with - courteous, professional, and communicative - and did indeed fix the issue. Can't ask for more.

But I agree with your point. There's just something intangible about German sports sedans...! In the motorcycle worlds, my old Yamaha didn't have it, but my Ducati Monster had it in spades.
What is a steering strut?

·
Registered
100 Posts
What is a steering strut?
I know nothing about how cars work! FWIW this is my quick list of what was done due to a mechanical knocking/banging noise on slow right hand turns over bumpy/quite uneven surfaces:

1. Insulator Assy-Strut
  2. Pad-Front Spring, Upr
  3. Flange Nut - Self Locking
  4. Nut
  5. Bearing-Strut
  6. Passenger-side motor mount
Some combination of this fixed the problem 15K miles ago and it hasn't returned. I continue to be impressed with my '17 ES 6MT and just yesterday was lamenting the notion of my next car being electric and how unexcited we were to have to give up manual transmissions. At that point, my wife and I had this epiphany, "Dang! We'll just have to keep our Hyundai forever!". Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate lux cars and the European sports sedans. I've just reach the point in life that I am content to admire/appreciate them from afar. Funny thing is, in my town I'm pretty sure I'm the only actual adult over age 50 that has a daily driver (sedan) that doesn't come from Stuttgart, Munich or Fremont!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since you're buying from the Hyundai dealership directly, you should make sure that the ES is certified pre-owned to get the continued warranty.
Buying one outside of the dealership would do what exactly to the warranty? I’d imagine it would transfer the same if the transaction is private or from another seller? I’m genuinely unfamiliar with Hyundai

·
Registered
267 Posts
Buying one outside of the dealership would do what exactly to the warranty? I’d imagine it would transfer the same if the transaction is private or from another seller? I’m genuinely unfamiliar with Hyundai
I should have explicitly specified that the 10 year powertrain warranty will not transfer to the new owner unless buying certified pre-owned from a Hyundai dealership. The regular warranty will transfer (5 yr, 60k miles) with a private party or non-CPO sale through a non-Hyundai dealership.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts