Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there are only a couple of videos of muffler deletes on YouTube, I was curious if some members with muffler deletes can help me out. In some videos the car at low RPM sounds very burble-y but in an "engine running under water" kind of way which kind of turned me off to the delete. Higher RPMs sounds great IMO. I wanted to see if this is true when listening in person. Also, are you happy with your muffler delete or would you have gone a different route? Is drone or cold starts excessively loud? I've never owned a first run model so needless to say I feel lost with the lack of owners on the web and on the streets. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here is my opinion. I've tried this on my two previous cars, both NA and turbo, and on both the low-end drone was unbearable. I was told with turbo cars you wouldn't get much drone as the turbo tends to muffle all that. That's not always true. Also, the exhaust note wasn't clean and exciting in mid/high range to justify it. But this time, for some reason, I thought the new car would sound better. I really liked the sound from those videos you mentioned. It sounded clean and not too loud, exactly what I was looking for. It had the burbles and stuff, who doesn't like that! Plus the lack of any bolt-on kits on the market was not helping my impatience. I saw that kit was just a few pipes and tips to replace the muffler, easy enough for any muffler shop to do. So I went and got my muffler removed, custom piping welded in, plus some larger tips added. Overall it came out looking really sharp. When they revved the car on the lift it sounded amazing. I couldn't wait to drive it. But my excitement was short-lived. I drove back to work and within 10 seconds I knew it was a stupid idea. To be more specific, the tone was loud right when you apply any throttle and accelerate moderately, as you would from a light, especially comparing to that quiet factory muffler, or any car on the street for that matter. I don't know how it sounded on the outside, but you can hear it really loud from inside. It was particularly intense next to other cars. Every gear change was more pronounced (that was cool!). Those burbles and pops at low rpm when you let off gas - my favorite bit. The problem was that all those sounds were just way too loud, even if they were nice. But there was also some occasional backfiring which I found annoying. I thought maybe I just needed to get used to the new sound more, so I kept driving, played with different gear accelerations, throttle inputs, etc. Not going to lie, the low-mid rpm tone was embarrassing, like you have a leak in your exhaust. But surprisingly, the car did not drone much at all. As the rpms climb the exhaust note gets a bit cleaner and actually quieter, then at the top (5-6k) it just sounds like a rush of air, not even loud, just really boring. The stock muffler created that awesome note. It wasn't there just to muffle things. When you read about this car sounding fun and all, yeah, that's the muffler! Removing it does not make that sound louder and better. It makes different sounds louder, that's all.

This is the perfect mod for the track or a few people who like loud cars, but it's not one if your car is daily driven, especially if you have passengers or someone else driving your car, as they will find it annoying. After all, there is a reason why companies spend tons of time designing mufflers for sound, not just performance. Some say that throttle response gets better. Hmm, felt the same to me and I am sensitive to stuff like that. Long story short, I went back to the shop the same day and got a magnaflow muffler. I did not like that either as it was super quiet. At that point I just got jaded and considered going back to stock and waiting for a proper bolt-on system, but decided to try a different shop first. I told them my situation and what I wanted the car to sound like. I wanted something in between stock and muffler delete. They had this flowmaster "outlaw" can that I never heard of. It's a straight-through design, a small cylinder shape, about 1/10th the weight of stock, matte black, etc. I'll make a separate thread on that. Well, I liked the way it looked and sounded, did not expect that. It's more or less in the middle of stock and muffler delete, probably a bit closer the latter. I guess you can say it's a muffled muffler delete mod! You definitely lose the nice factory tone, that's inevitable, but you gain a lot of nice sounds that I mentioned earlier.

My honest advice to you and everyone considering this is to wait for a properly designed kit that's proven and reviewed a bunch with tons of videos. But if you can't wait, then try what I did.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is my opinion. I've tried this on my two previous cars, both NA and turbo, and on both the low-end drone was unbearable. I was told with turbo cars you wouldn't get much drone as the turbo tends to muffle all that. That's not always true. Also, the exhaust note wasn't clean and exciting in mid/high range to justify it. But this time, for some reason, I thought the new car would sound better. I really liked the sound from those videos you mentioned. It sounded clean and not too loud, exactly what I was looking for. It had the burbles and stuff, who doesn't like that! Plus the lack of any bolt-on kits on the market was not helping my impatience. I saw that kit was just a few pipes and tips to replace the muffler, easy enough for any muffler shop to do. So I went and got my muffler removed, custom piping welded in, plus some larger tips added. Overall it came out looking really sharp. When they revved the car on the lift it sounded amazing. I couldn't wait to drive it. But my excitement was short-lived. I drove back to work and within 10 seconds I knew it was a stupid idea. To be more specific, the tone was loud right when you apply any throttle and accelerate moderately, as you would from a light, especially comparing to that quiet factory muffler, or any car on the street for that matter. I don't know how it sounded on the outside, but you can hear it really loud from inside. It was particularly intense next to other cars. Every gear change was more pronounced (that was cool!). Those burbles and pops at low rpm when you let off gas - my favorite bit. The problem was that all those sounds were just way too loud, even if they were nice. But there was also some occasional backfiring which I found annoying. I thought maybe I just needed to get used to the new sound more, so I kept driving, played with different gear accelerations, throttle inputs, etc. Not going to lie, the low-mid rpm tone was embarrassing, like you have a leak in your exhaust. But surprisingly, the car did not drone much at all. As the rpms climb the exhaust note gets a bit cleaner and actually quieter, then at the top (5-6k) it just sounds like a rush of air, not even loud, just really boring. The stock muffler created that awesome note. It wasn't there just to muffle things. When you read about this car sounding fun and all, yeah, that's the muffler! Removing it does not make that sound louder and better. It makes different sounds louder, that's all.

This is the perfect mod for the track or a few people who like loud cars, but it's not one if your car is daily driven, especially if you have passengers or someone else driving your car, as they will find it annoying. After all, there is a reason why companies spend tons of time designing mufflers for sound, not just performance. Some say that throttle response gets better. Hmm, felt the same to me and I am sensitive to stuff like that. Long story short, I went back to the shop the same day and got a magnaflow muffler. I did not like that either as it was super quiet. At that point I just got jaded and considered going back to stock and waiting for a proper bolt-on system, but decided to try a different shop first. I told them my situation and what I wanted the car to sound like. I wanted something in between stock and muffler delete. They had this flowmaster "outlaw" can that I never heard of. It's a straight-through design, a small cylinder shape, about 1/10th the weight of stock, matte black, etc. I'll make a separate thread on that. Well, I liked the way it looked and sounded, did not expect that. It's more or less in the middle of stock and muffler delete, probably a bit closer the latter. I guess you can say it's a muffled muffler delete mod! You definitely lose the nice factory tone, that's inevitable, but you gain a lot of nice sounds that I mentioned earlier.

My honest advice to you and everyone considering this is to wait for a properly designed kit that's proven and reviewed a bunch with tons of videos. But if you can't wait, then try what I did.

Hey, thank you so much for taking the time to write that. It definitely answered all my questions that I had. My last car was a Focus ST and I did a muffler delete on it which sounded great. It had almost zero drone and very grown up sounding. I may take the chance on the muffler delete and worst case I will just remove it and sell it. I don't want to shell out the cash for a cat back. I am assuming they are going to be in the $600-800 range. But I am going to give it a few weeks anyway to see if any new systems come out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you don't mind spending money, then try it. The sound was not for me, but you might like it. Btw, cold starts are definitely very loud, so if you live in a quiet place, I would consider that. I'll post a thread on the exhaust I have so people can see there are options!

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you don't mind spending money, then try it. The sound was not for me, but you might like it. Btw, cold starts are definitely very loud, so if you live in a quiet place, I would consider that. I'll post a thread on the exhaust I have so people can see there are options!
In reading the novel above, did you say you had the shop slap on bigger tips too? Wouldn't that be what made yours so loud plus whatever custom piping? I'm sure there is a process here that I'm missing that's why I'm asking lol.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The tips are connected by a small Y pipe that's the same diameter as the rest of the piping. They are more of a visual thing than anything. It would sound the same with or without them.

I am not here to stop anyone from getting their mufflers deleted. I just want to get the full info out on what will happen. And I do have to write in full to cover every aspect. If I wanted to be brief, you wouldn't get the full story and still be wondering about it. It's super loud and, if you like that, it's perfect for you. I liked some of that, but wanted it 50% quieter so I went with a simple muffler. I posted a video with my car for anyone who's interested. There are a lot of options for mufflers too! You could even get nice brands like universal hks or greddy mufflers. I don't recommend magna flow because they are too large and hang way too low and look stupid, and they are mostly too quiet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The tips are connected by a small Y pipe that's the same diameter as the rest of the piping. They are more of a visual thing than anything. It would sound the same with or without them.

I am not here to stop anyone from getting their mufflers deleted. I just want to get the full info out on what will happen. And I do have to write in full to cover every aspect. If I wanted to be brief, you wouldn't get the full story and still be wondering about it. It's super loud and, if you like that, it's perfect for you. I liked some of that, but wanted it 50% quieter so I went with a simple muffler. I posted a video with my car for anyone who's interested. There are a lot of options for mufflers too! You could even get nice brands like universal hks or greddy mufflers. I don't recommend magna flow because they are too large and hang way too low and look stupid, and they are mostly too quiet.
I am actually interested in what your new one sounds like! I want something that is barely louder than stock.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think you misunderstood what I meant. My new one is what I just posted the other day (flowmaster outlaw). It is about 50% quieter than it was without any muffler. Mine has no sound deadening at all, it's just a smooth straight-through design. If you want something quieter than mine, all you have to do is get a muffler that has holes inside of the cylinder, that should deaden it more. They are thicker, but they'll give you what you're asking.

What I liked about my muffler is it's light and compact. If I had to guess, the stock system weighs around 50+ lbs. This little can is around 5. You can barely see it under the car from behind, plus it came already in matte black. It's perfect for those who want just a step quieter from muffler delete. But there are a lot of options out there for universal mufflers. Just visit a muffler shop. Or wait till more of us try different options.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, I did a muffler and resonator delete. It's definitely loud but I actually like the volume and the tone. I guess that's because I'm only 20 and slightly immature. :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know if this will help.. but mines juat a muffler delete with a GReddy Universal RS muffler. So technically a custom axle-back exhaust with stock resonator.

https://youtu.be/wBHcgVzuk-0

·
Registered
5 Posts
For anyone that did the delete where did you find the pipes? Should just be a pipe for the muffler delete and pipe for resonator all I can find is kits with the whole exhaust for like 300+

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
For anyone that did the delete where did you find the pipes? Should just be a pipe for the muffler delete and pipe for resonator all I can find is kits with the whole exhaust for like 300+
To delete the muffler you will need a whole rear section. You can either spend that $300 to get a full replacement from SXTH, Pierce, etc or you can try to go to a local muffler shop and have them make you a custom delete for probably half the price and hit or miss quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I figured they had a pipe kit that you could just cut an inch out either side of the muffler and put a pipe in the gap same basic deal

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I figured they had a pipe kit that you could just cut an inch out either side of the muffler and put a pipe in the gap same basic deal
No, muffler deletes go a different route.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did the muffler delete. I had mine done by Top Gear Automotive in Cambridge, Ontario. Matt did an excellent job deleting the muffler and installing new pipe and Magnaflow Tips.

I love the sound and while it's certainly louder, I'm pleased with the results. Cold starts are pretty loud but sounds fantastic... Lol

I don't find it too droney and with normal cruising speeds its more than respectable inside the cabin.

I find myself turning the stereo down so I can enjoy the snap crackles and pops and grumble from the delete.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Anyone have the SXTH delete installed?

·
Registered
39 Posts
To delete the muffler you will need a whole rear section. You can either spend that $300 to get a full replacement from SXTH, Pierce, etc or you can try to go to a local muffler shop and have them make you a custom delete for probably half the price and hit or miss quality.

So I actually like the magnaflow muffler sound:

I've never done this before, and not sure how it works, but from the sounds of the posts above, it is not as simple as bolting on this muffler, correct?

The comments under the video say "Magnaflow 10416 and vibrant burnt blue tips on my 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport."

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
So I actually like the magnaflow muffler sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4yAmMTeCBM

I've never done this before, and not sure how it works, but from the sounds of the posts above, it is not as simple as bolting on this muffler, correct?

The comments under the video say "Magnaflow 10416 and vibrant burnt blue tips on my 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport."
That is a custom setup with universal parts. You would need to buy them, then go to an exhaust shop and have them assemble everything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is a custom setup with universal parts. You would need to buy them, then go to an exhaust shop and have them assemble everything.

In the comments in the video, he said he used stock pipe....if that is true, does it mean the muffler is bolt on, or does that still mean he took it to a shop to have them swap out the muffler, which involves welding? He said he left the resonator and cat in, and only changed the muffler. I sent him a message to find out what he did exactly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts