Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I wanted to know who has experience with these canned tunes and any pro's cons etc you're willing to list.

When I say a canned tune I mean when a vendor (SXTH, 845, LAP3, Tork etc) ships you an ecu to plug in that has been tuned/settings altered/unlocked, whatever you want to call it. I say this as oppose to having your exact car put on a Dyno and it be tuned very specifically to the exact mods/conditions etc.

My understanding is that a full dyno tune will always give you better results, but is this always the case now with cars so smart/so many sensors they can adjust/target anything? are there risks etc?

I live in Australia, not many tune here especially in my city so it's a big leap of faith to drop ~1k USD on a tuned ECU to get flown halfway around the world to me.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I have experience with both canned and dyno tunes. Canned is OK, but only OK. You'll get more performance out of it, for sure, but it won't be dialed in for your car. The canned tune I had on my VT was rich as **** and I had massive issues with black soot coming out the exhaust. I had to clean my license plate every few days or I would get pulled over. The dyno tune I had definitely felt better, gave better gas mileage, and no super rich afr.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look forward to some answers on this being from Oz too
Where in Aus you from?
Sunny Perth mate :)

I have experience with both canned and dyno tunes. Canned is OK, but only OK. You'll get more performance out of it, for sure, but it won't be dialed in for your car. The canned tune I had on my VT was rich as **** and I had massive issues with black soot coming out the exhaust. I had to clean my license plate every few days or I would get pulled over. The dyno tune I had definitely felt better, gave better gas mileage, and no super rich afr.
Thanks, I've followed some saga it would seem across some other threads and facebook.

I mean I'm only really chasing 20-30whp more, something that'll get the car putting 200 down to the wheels, hold a bit more boost and as people describe make the car what it feels like it could have been from the beginning.

·
Registered
188 Posts
One is specifically for your car, the other is for hundreds of cars. A pro dyno tune will yield more power because it's taking into considering everything about YOUR car and dialing it in. A canned tune has to be safe because it has to take into account that different engine builds, drivers, mods, etc., will be used with it. Quality control from the factory has never been better but the tool behind the wheel can alter the end product after all.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I mean I'm only really chasing 20-30whp more, something that'll get the car putting 200 down to the wheels, hold a bit more boost and as people describe make the car what it feels like it could have been from the beginning.
If that's the case then a canned tune would probably give you what you need. I'd still recommend a dyno or street tune, however.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Greetings from Sydney... I've just tuned my car with a stage 1 flash tune from Tork Motorsports
Shame you're not on this side of the country, you could come and take my car for a drive.

I didn't do any before/after stuff really, but it is MUCH faster than stock... It blows the tyres off my i30 SR all through second gear and will chirp 3rd now. That's on the factory 225 Hankook Ventus Primes

$1k is a lot to spend on a tune though, and you might fine someone locally who can do a dyno tune for that. That said, depending on the tuner, even if you have a flash tune done, you can do some data-logging and send it back to get the tune updated. I haven't got to the point of asking if Tork will do this for me yet.

I'm off to the drag strip tomorrow, I'll let you know what I run.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings from Sydney... I've just tuned my car with a stage 1 flash tune from Tork Motorsports
Shame you're not on this side of the country, you could come and take my car for a drive.

I didn't do any before/after stuff really, but it is MUCH faster than stock... It blows the tyres off my i30 SR all through second gear and will chirp 3rd now. That's on the factory 225 Hankook Ventus Primes

$1k is a lot to spend on a tune though, and you might fine someone locally who can do a dyno tune for that. That said, depending on the tuner, even if you have a flash tune done, you can do some data-logging and send it back to get the tune updated. I haven't got to the point of asking if Tork will do this for me yet.

Awesome man keen to hear you extended experience on this tune. What other supporting mods if any do you have? and how much did it set you back all said and done? I take it that it's a plug and play ECU and you're away hey?

·
Registered
209 Posts

Awesome news and greetings from Melbourne!

Been contemplating getting this from Tork for a while and SXTH wont touch our cars from Oz, but the risk so far has been decent enough for me not to do it yet being on the other side of the planet... exchange rates also stuck right now too.

How long have you had the Tork tune for? Any feedback on how it's running mechanically? Would love to know how it's going in detail if you can spare the time posting or even over a phone call?

Thanks
Dan

Reactions: birdman

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Been contemplating getting this from Tork for a while and SXTH wont touch our cars from Oz
SXTH isn't doing tunes right now unless you are local to them. It's just not their thing which is fine, they are killing it with incredible parts. Most people I have seen that are getting tuned right now are going Lap3, BTR or 845 Motorsports.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How long have you had the Tork tune for? Any feedback on how it's running mechanically? Would love to know how it's going in detail if you can spare the time posting or even over a phone call?
It's good, though I would comment that not all of the factory compressor surge is gone from low RPM/high gear pulls, it now comes on to boost a lot harder, a bit faster and it pulls strong to redline. My car has around 4500km (2750 miles) on it at the moment, and the tune has only been on for a week.

I love the pops and bangs on gear change, and the launch control definitely helped me at the track yesterday. Speaking of which, I ran a [email protected], which according to this forum makes me the fastest 6-speed car and 2nd fastest overall Elantra Sport :)

I'm still aiming for 13s though, Tork will tweak my tune for me when I install a dump and intercooler soon.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I didn't submit my time slip because I had an absolutely terrible 60 foot time (2.354). I can't do any more runs until I have a SNELL certified helmet, which is going to have to wait until next year. So for now, my time on the board will remain without a tune.

Yes, the time slip does show a [email protected], but I'm not gonna submit a run when I feel like I was a bad driver.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sunny Perth mate :)

Thanks, I've followed some saga it would seem across some other threads and facebook.

Hey mate. I'm also in Perth. Though with a i30 SR (Elantra GT in the US)
And chasing pretty much at what you are.

A dyno tune will get you a little more power but not much to be honest. With the amount of time we have spent tuning the 1.6T Gamma engine we can get you pretty close to dyno tuned numbers. It would be the same process with just a little fine tuning at the end to get out every last HP. I would really say its a canned tune we do make each tune specially for the modifications, fuel and vehicle. If you dont want to get a Space ECU you can also get our tuning OBD bundle on our website. It is very easy and cheaper. We can also send revisions if needed so you wont have to send us your ECU back. Tork Motorsports OBD2 Port Flash Bundle | DamnFastDD.com
Hi.
Am I right in thinking that this is only available for use on a single car?? IE: Can't be shared between 2 cars?
Also. As I am in Australia. Would this still be available?

Cheers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Aus group buy discount anyone???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts