Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless there is a way that i dont know about, i think its pretty rediculous that we cant play the mp3s off our phone when hooked up to AA like we can in bluetooth audio.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I must have missed it too, because being trapped with Google Music is pretty crappy if you can't. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about Android Auto but I used it once in San Diego for the GPS and that's it. I prefer the standard interface.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its really nice for the navigation on the big display but other than that i see no real benefits of it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm having similar issues, it appears within the AA music app, you can't select to play mp3 off the phone, however, if you can source the MP3 through the car radio, and it will display and allow pause, skip function through AA. Just I'm not able to select a song from a list.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I'm having similar issues, it appears within the AA music app, you can't select to play mp3 off the phone, however, if you can source the MP3 through the car radio, and it will display and allow pause, skip function through AA. Just I'm not able to select a song from a list.
By design. AA is meant to be hands free.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I driving through a school zone, I want to be able to browse my MP3 library, not pay attention. :p

I've haven't tried, but I'm sure you can talk to the google lady, and state what song you want played. I could do this 5 years ago before AA with the MS sync system Ford had.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
when i driving through a school zone, i want to be able to browse my mp3 library, not pay attention. :p

i've haven't tried, but i'm sure you can talk to the google lady, and state what song you want played. I could do this 5 years ago before aa with the ms sync system ford had.

lol lol lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Unless there is a way that i dont know about, i think its pretty rediculous that we cant play the mp3s off our phone when hooked up to AA like we can in bluetooth audio.
You have to use Google Play Music and point the App at your local library (mSD card or otherwise). No other music program works at the moment other than streaming services.

Bigger issue is that AA is unstable. While it worked the first time on my morning commute, the return commute required TWO reboots of my phone to get AA working. It's not the safest thing to be rebooting your phone while driving at 70 MPH.

Anyway, when it's working, it is pretty nice. The Google natural language commands are way better than any car mfgs, so to be able to just say, "OK Google, send John Smith an sms message, 'I'm running late for the game [full stop] Should be there by 9pm tonight [full stop] Get me a beer and dog [full stop]". And then just say "Send it" when asked is pretty cool. Also, AA is snappy in that once you say send it and it confirms via audio, it automatically un-pauses music playback.

Easy to tell it to read back text messages as well.

So the major downside is you don't get to use your favorite music app for local files (yet), and it's unstable as all get out.

I'll keep using it sporadically in hopes that by the fourth of fifth major app update, Google wll (internally) take it out of beta and release an actual production version. Hopefully it won't be several years like they did with Gmail...

And one more thing...Did anyone get AA to work over Bluetooth/WiFi/NFC in the Elantra Sport. Frustrating (and a really bad design choice) to require the USB cable as specified in the manual. Maybe I'm just dense...

·
Registered
100 Posts
For AA to work you need to be plugged in to the USB port.
Thanks. I guess putting in a WiFi chip set and supporting S/W required $10M in R&D, as opposed to a couple weekends over beer and pizza. I bet a couple Google interns could have done the production grade design over their lunch break one day. Whatever. Still the best bang for the buck sporty sedan!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, I figured as much but it takes no additional power for music streaming than BT LE. I guess for the interim, they've not set their minds to minimizing the data usage (e.g., power). Still, one would assume that part of the requirements for making an app suitable for AA would be a max power draw or a requirement for a user warning. Apple would do that but then again we're talking about Google.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You have to use Google Play Music and point the App at your local library (mSD card or otherwise). No other music program works at the moment other than streaming services.

Bigger issue is that AA is unstable. While it worked the first time on my morning commute, the return commute required TWO reboots of my phone to get AA working. It's not the safest thing to be rebooting your phone while driving at 70 MPH.

Anyway, when it's working, it is pretty nice. The Google natural language commands are way better than any car mfgs, so to be able to just say, "OK Google, send John Smith an sms message, 'I'm running late for the game [full stop] Should be there by 9pm tonight [full stop] Get me a beer and dog [full stop]". And then just say "Send it" when asked is pretty cool. Also, AA is snappy in that once you say send it and it confirms via audio, it automatically un-pauses music playback.

Easy to tell it to read back text messages as well.

So the major downside is you don't get to use your favorite music app for local files (yet), and it's unstable as all get out.

I'll keep using it sporadically in hopes that by the fourth of fifth major app update, Google wll (internally) take it out of beta and release an actual production version. Hopefully it won't be several years like they did with Gmail...

And one more thing...Did anyone get AA to work over Bluetooth/WiFi/NFC in the Elantra Sport. Frustrating (and a really bad design choice) to require the USB cable as specified in the manual. Maybe I'm just dense...
I have had no stability issues with several different devices, Nexus 4, Iphone 5/5s/6/7, Galaxy S5/S6/S8, LG G3/G4/G6, Sony Xperia M, etc. Even a few tablets, Samsung Tab A 7in, and Nexus 7 (2012).

I've even done the AA vs ACP test(voice recognition) with my buddy whom is an Apple freak, and Siri is no contest for Google Assistant. He was not impressed one bit.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Yes, I figured as much but it takes no additional power for music streaming than BT LE. I guess for the interim, they've not set their minds to minimizing the data usage (e.g., power). Still, one would assume that part of the requirements for making an app suitable for AA would be a max power draw or a requirement for a user warning. Apple would do that but then again we're talking about Google.
It actually takes considerably more power to use GPS and such.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have my music cataloged on a 32gig thumb drive. I have no complaints and no hiccups going that route.

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have my music cataloged on a 32gig thumb drive. I have no complaints and no hiccups going that route.
I do the same, but 50 gigs of music on a 64gb drive.
I gotta pull and then reinstall my 500gb SSD and do a step by step. I use a powered "smart" but USB 2.0 hub, so my SSD doesn't use the port. Future project: making the USB in the console "work" instead of being just a power plug.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts