Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Soooooo after a solid year of boycotting Uber for their jackass CEO and shitty treatment of their drivers, I have been using Lyft. Well last night I was making a protected left turn and a Lyft driver ran a red light and t-boned me. I'm heartbroken. This was my first brand new car and I always knew I made the right choice.

My estimator is coming Monday so I'll find out more then..honestly i'm hoping for a total..but I know the chances are slim. Anybody have this happen? Hoping for some advice or any experiences you all can share. There is some crumpling to my B-Pillar and I'm definitely going to need a new Passenger seat. From my estimation, I'd guess the damage is going to be $8,000-$10,000 max. Thoughts? Pictures attached.

:(

Edit: BTW, its a 2017 6MT Base Model. I have a little over 12K miles on it.

Edit 2: Should probably mention that I'm okay. I was on the left side (American Driver) and the car hit me on the Passenger. No broken glass. I hit my head against the side pillar but I'll get that checked out later. My health is fine, just worried and anxious as to what will happen with the car! Thanks all for the concern though!

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
In Australia that would be a write off or total loss. Here if airbags deploy and there is damage to the b pillar it's all over. I personally wouldn't want it back with that kind of hit.

Glad your ok and lucky for you, you drive on the left hand side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Australia that would be a write off or total loss. Here if airbags deploy and there is damage to the b pillar it's all over. I personally wouldn't want it back with that kind of hit.

Glad your ok and lucky for you, you drive on the left hand side.
Hmmm I see. Yeah, I personally don't want it back either. Would much rather buy new.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hopefully no one was hurt - sorry to see this but I'm glad the airbags did their job. You're in SJ? I'm curious as to where this happened.

In any case, it will likely be totaled if the frame is out of alignment. Given that you were hit right smack in the center, it is possible. On the flip side, Hyundai uses high strength steel and the structure of the Elantra was actually marketed with this attribute.

Is the car drivable? It seems like it is, and if so, is there any vibration?

I hope things turn out well for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully no one was hurt - sorry to see this but I'm glad the airbags did their job. You're in SJ? I'm curious as to where this happened.

In any case, it will likely be totaled if the frame is out of alignment. Given that you were hit right smack in the center, it is possible. On the flip side, Hyundai uses high strength steel and the structure of the Elantra was actually marketed with this attribute.

Is the car drivable? It seems like it is, and if so, is there any vibration?

I hope things turn out well for you.
San Jose represent! Intersection of Moorpark and San Tomas. I was going left onto Moorpark and he hit me going probably 30mph. I was alone in the car, thankfully. Unfortunately, I don't think my frame is out of alignment. I drove it home that same night and didn't notice anything wrong with the driving. Hopefully that same high strength steel will make the lovely certified repair shops weary of grinding out the bent parts of the B pillar.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Another Galactic Grey in an accident. :( A week or two ago we had ONE day where several Galactic's were involved in accidents in my facebook group. It was obviously not a good day. 2 were totaled, 2 had fender benders and a 5th end up with two bent wheels.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Another Galactic Grey in an accident. :( A week or two ago we had ONE day where several Galactic's were involved in accidents in my facebook group. It was obviously not a good day. 2 were totaled, 2 had fender benders and a 5th end up with two bent wheels.
Call me crazy, but it's the colour, IMO. It just blends into the background of concrete and steal in cities, all grey cars do.

·
Registered
342 Posts
San Jose represent! Intersection of Moorpark and San Tomas. I was going left onto Moorpark and he hit me going probably 30mph. I was alone in the car, thankfully. Unfortunately, I don't think my frame is out of alignment. I drove it home that same night and didn't notice anything wrong with the driving. Hopefully that same high strength steel will make the lovely certified repair shops weary of grinding out the bent parts of the B pillar.
I'm glad to hear you're ok. As you know, lots of people gun it through San Tomas expressway but that's crazy someone would run a red through there - could have been waaaay worse. :eek:

Hopefully you get the outcome you want, but if you're not feeling any shuddering or vibration when driving the car then it will likely not be totaled. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm glad to hear you're ok. As you know, lots of people gun it through San Tomas expressway but that's crazy someone would run a red through there - could have been waaaay worse. :eek:

Hopefully you get the outcome you want, but if you're not feeling any shuddering or vibration when driving the car then it will likely not be totaled. Keep us posted.
Yeah, definitely could have been worse. I usually do around 60mph on San Tomas if its not busy. What area you in?

·
Registered
105 Posts
UPDATE:
For those curious, the inspection happened today and the car was deemed totaled. Thanks to all for the input.

Looks like i'm back in the car market boys..If anyone is in need of some Maxpider Kagu mats, get at me!
Wow! Glad you’re okay though.

Are you looking for another Elantra or are you looking at other models?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah, definitely could have been worse. I usually do around 60mph on San Tomas if its not busy. What area you in?
I'm in the Campbell/Los Gatos area - close to Netflix HQ.

I just saw your post that your ES was deemed a total loss. At least you got what you wanted. :cool:

Bang for buck, the ES is a tough act to follow. Good luck on the replacement vehicle search!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad to hear you’re okay and I'm really sorry to hear about the new car. I’ve been in the same situation and it’s a crap feeling knowing there was nothing you could have done. Imo since the airbags deployed and the B pillar has significant damage, your insurance company should write it off. I’ve seen companies write off cars with far less extensive damage than that. Also if you hit your head, its best to get it checked, regardless of how you feel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.