Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just wonder what everyone’s thoughts are on gdi and carbon build up. Have hyundai minimize the build up with these new gdi engines.

I’m looking to keep the car for 8-10yrs and mostly short trips I do.

Anyone run into this problem yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
No one has yet, but everyone will eventually. Hyundai did nothing to minimize the buildup - no catch cans, no injectors in the intake tract. Catch cans will help some, meth injection will help even more. High quality synthetic oils like Motul, PUP, or Amsoil also help reduce carbon buildup.

·
Registered
143 Posts
No one has yet, but everyone will eventually. Hyundai did nothing to minimize the buildup - no catch cans, no injectors in the intake tract. Catch cans will help some, meth injection will help even more. High quality synthetic oils like Motul, PUP, or Amsoil also help reduce carbon buildup.
Like voodoo said, get yourself a quality catch can on the PCV side. I'm catching quite a bit of oil vapors.

·
Registered
286 Posts
As long as you properly maintain your car, you should be fine. A catch can at least on the PCV side will go a long way. Using good oil (and fuel) will helps bunch too obviously

·
Registered
78 Posts
I do worry about this Long term, I personally don’t think gas will help a ton as we have tgdi engines. The oil might well make a difference if it has low evaporation, but yeah still researching and seeing other examples of this being dealt with going forward

·
Registered
137 Posts
I also have concerns about carbon build up. I'm keeping my car 100% stock because I have a mortgage, 2 young kids and a wife and can't afford to lose the warranty.

With that being said, my plans to at least mitigate carbon build up are:

-use top tier premium gas

-can of Chevron techtron every oil change to clean injector tips

-3K oil changes with ACEA A5 spec oil-for lower evaporative qualities of that oil spec

-spark plugs at 30K because they're cheap and easy and promotes better combustion

Basically, just trying to have the engine running as optimally as possible while limiting the volatility/evaporation of oil that makes it's way into the intake.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll also add that I've already contacted an independent local Euro shop that will walnut blast the Hyundai should I ever need it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's in the manual i believe.
it is recommended if you are not using top tier fuel, not needed but cant hurt if you are using top fuel.

Im looking to buy a 18 Elantra Sport but am currently driving a 2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T and it is the same GDI setup.

The only way to minimize the possible carbon build up is a catch can, oil changes with quality synthetic oil, and use of an occasional intake cleaner (not poured into gas tank) must be one of the ones that are sprayed into the intake.

BG makes a professional system that works well , but you have to go to a mechanic that has it and normal cost is about $ 150

CRC has their GDI Intake Cleaner, it is an aerosol of PEA and other chemicals (supposed to be 150x stronger than fuel additives) costs less than $ 15 and you spraay into intake before the turbo with engine rinning so it cleans up the turbo blades and the intake valves, they show pictures that it helps break down buildup, I believe that if used before any buildup starts it will keep things clean. ive used it 2 x in 25,000 miles and Ill drop a can of BG 44K or Techron in the tank at every oil change (5,000 mi)

This is a potential problem with GDI

·
Registered
175 Posts
spark plugs

I also have concerns about carbon build up. I'm keeping my car 100% stock because I have a mortgage, 2 young kids and a wife and can't afford to lose the warranty.

With that being said, my plans to at least mitigate carbon build up are:

-use top tier premium gas

-can of Chevron techtron every oil change to clean injector tips

-3K oil changes with ACEA A5 spec oil-for lower evaporative qualities of that oil spec

-spark plugs at 30K because they're cheap and easy and promotes better combustion

Basically, just trying to have the engine running as optimally as possible while limiting the volatility/evaporation of oil that makes it's way into the intake.
spark plugs are cheap? LOL, not with this car. Each one is 25 bucks- at least for the good ones. plus the labor to install unless you do it yourself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
anyone know of any vids of them adding intake cleaner to the intake in our car? I've done it in cars with carburetors before but never something like this engine. Would be nice to have a visual reference.

·
Registered
137 Posts
spark plugs are cheap? LOL, not with this car. Each one is 25 bucks- at least for the good ones. plus the labor to install unless you do it yourself.
Haven't looked into prices, was just going to use OEM plugs. $25 is steep, but at least theres only 4. $100 is still pretty cheap for plugs.

I'll be doing them myself. It'll actually be a pleasure doing them after dealing with an Accord V6's plugs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
CRC has their GDI Intake Cleaner, it is an aerosol of PEA and other chemicals (supposed to be 150x stronger than fuel additives) costs less than $ 15 and you spraay into intake before the turbo with engine rinning so it cleans up the turbo blades and the intake valves, they show pictures that it helps break down buildup, I believe that if used before any buildup starts it will keep things clean. ive used it 2 x in 25,000 miles and Ill drop a can of BG 44K or Techron in the tank at every oil change (5,000 mi)

This is a potential problem with GDI
Where did you introduce the CRC into the intake stream--at the air cleaner assembly or further upstream?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where did you introduce the CRC into the intake stream--at the air cleaner assembly or further upstream?
they have a couple videos of using it.

First time I pulled the air filter and got a small piece of tubing to extend the nozzel that is on the can and went right down past the Air Filter and had my son keep the RPM up as directed. 2nd time I slightly loosened the clamp at the intake hose connection at the air filter box and then slipped he straw under it and introduced the whole can. The can sprays upside down.
Easy to do follow directions on can, most of it is done with the rpm at 2000 -3000 then down to idle and at te end shut off and let it soak for 1 hr, then restart and take it out for a drive to blow our ant residue or deposits

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm a Hyundai tech and all these GDI motors have the same problem with carbon buildup on the valves there's a special Fuel Injection Service that they offer now that will clean up the valves

1 - 20 of 43 Posts