Elantra Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm a Hyundai tech and all these GDI motors have the same problem with carbon buildup on the valves there's a special Fuel Injection Service that they offer now that will clean up the valves
I just did my first oil change. the dealer also added something like fuel injection cleaner alone with the oil change. is that suppose to be that service?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just did my first oil change. the dealer also added something like fuel injection cleaner alone with the oil change. is that suppose to be that service?
No that is not the Injection / intake service that many are recommending, but is not required maintenance in your Service manual. The "fuel injection cleaner" that your dealer poured into the gas tank is Hyundai relabeled Techron Fuel System Cleaner, the exact same as can be purchased at most auto parts stores , on ebay etc for 10-15 a bottle. It is recommended to be added to the gas tank if you are not using "top tier" fuel. Most major brands are top tier , Mobil, Chevron, Shell, 76, even Costco they all have additives. BUT iany additional service that is not in the manual is not required to maintain the warranty, many dealers tack on a lot of extras to boost profit.

The fuel injector cleaner or a top tier fuel keeps the injectors and fuel system cleaner and helps prevent varnish, gum and other problems. But it does not help with the carbon buildup on the intake valves that our GDI engines are prone to getting because none of anything that is put in the gas tank gets into the intake since our injectors send fuel directly into the combustion chamber.

Minimizing the carbon buildup on the intake valves can be done by using quality oil, changed regularly, Oil catch cans, a clean dry air filter (no oiled filters like K&N) and many believe a intake /injection cleaning from time to time. Dealers/shops (the better ones use systems like the BG VIA injection, intake cleaner),these inject cleaners (usually PEA) into the injectors and into the intake and through the turbo to clean the turbo and the intake valves. BMW has used walnut blasting to clean the carbon off intake valves in GDI engines. The dealer intake GDI cleaning usually runs $ 150 +.

There are some home DIY products that seem to have some ability to help. I use CRC GDI Cleaner it is $ 12.00, it is sprayed into the intake anywhere after the air filter while car is running and then left to sit to "hot soak" and then taken out for a higher rpm drive to help blow out any loosened carbon. I use top tier gas, every 5000 mles oil change with Mobil 1 and a bottle of techron and every 15,000 miles I have run the CRC before changing the oil.

Does it help ? I cant say but my car is at 28,000 miles now in 9 months and runs as well as the day I got it.Ie added 5 bottles of Techron (1 every 5,000 mi) and 1 can of CRC cleaner at 15-16,000 mi. total extra cost about $ 75.00 above the oil and filter changes and I change my air filter every 10,000 miles.

With luck this will be enough to keep the intake valves clean and no need for a professional cleaning. look on you tube about GDI intake valve deposits

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fuel Induction Service every 15k, preferably with BG products. I've seen an engine taken apart before and after (GDI Veloster Turbo) at 20k from that service and it's pretty drastic.

Reactions: Petabytes

·
Registered
11 Posts
CRC Intake Valve Cleaner

Video and before and after pictures of CRC GDI Injector cleaner appox $12 and 10 min plus an hour to wait after done to "heat soak". I have used it 2x and just remove the air filter then spray into the intake. It is supposed to clean turbo blades, throttle body, intake valves, injector tips and pistons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a VW GTI with a turbocharged direct injected engine. The intake manifold on MK6 GTI's are fail prone. Mine went out around 80K. A new manifold was under $200 surprisingly. I cleaned my intake valves while the intake was off. It is not a difficult job. The Elantra Sport looks even easier to remove the intake manifold and clean the intake valves than my GTI. If you are competent, this is an easy job. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I own a VW GTI with a turbocharged direct injected engine. The intake manifold on MK6 GTI's are fail prone. Mine went out around 80K.
I had an MK5. The intake manifold was replaced twice under warranty within 2 years. After the second time, and countless other issues, I literally drove away from the VW dealer and straight to a Kia dealer and got rid of it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No one has yet, but everyone will eventually. Hyundai did nothing to minimize the buildup - no catch cans, no injectors in the intake tract. Catch cans will help some, meth injection will help even more. High quality synthetic oils like Motul, PUP, or Amsoil also help reduce carbon buildup.
Would a dexos 2 oil be good since it is specifically made for gdi engines? I saw a valvoline synthetic that was for gdi with dexos 2 cert, I hear its low calcium high zinc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm using the new redesigned formula Pennzoil Platinum which meet the Dexos Gen 2, APSI SN Plus and ACEA A5 (owner's manual oil requirement). Their Pureplus technology base oil is made from natural gas, it’s crystal clear, with fewer of the impurities found in crude oil-the origin for many other traditional and synthetic motor oils.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm using the new redesigned formula Pennzoil Platinum which meet the Dexos Gen 2, APSI SN Plus and ACEA A5 (owner's manual oil requirement). Their Pureplus technology base oil is made from natural gas, it’s crystal clear, with fewer of the impurities found in crude oil-the origin for many other traditional and synthetic motor oils.
Nice is that platinum Pennzoil Pure plus tech? I really wanted to run a
good synthetic

Update i see that it is that tech, I'm going to look into the ultra platinum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice is that platinum Pennzoil Pure plus tech? I really wanted to run a
good synthetic

Update i see that it is that tech, I'm going to look into the ultra platinum.
It seems the Ultimate isn't as good as the Platinum for GDI turbos pretty interesting. Good call man.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Using Castrol Edge 5w40 synthetic here. Car runs great, 35k miles and no major issues. I'm not being super picky with the oil.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hyundai dealers also do intake cleaning it's a two-part they remove the map sensor put a injector in there and it runs through the intake in through the valves.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hyundai dealers also do intake cleaning it's a two-part they remove the map sensor put a injector in there and it runs through the intake in through the valves.
How much is that service? Im going to try CRC's product you spray in the intake that cleans with PEA heard good things.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How much is that service? Im going to try CRC's product you spray in the intake that cleans with PEA heard good things.
Iv'e just brought some myself. Just waiting in being delivered. I have also just got delivered an oil catch can..
So I'm going to be fitting the catch can 1st. Then giving it a clean with the CRC cleaner. Then I will change the oil, as it is due in 600ks anyway..

Hopefully that will make enough difference. I also plan on doing the CRC clean every 10,000ks (6200 miles)

Has anyone had any feedback from Hyundai about fitting an oil catch can?? I can't see having any warranty issues further down the track..
But being a car manufacture. Can they refuse a warranty claim while having one fitted..

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Has anyone had any feedback from Hyundai about fitting an oil catch can?? I can't see having any warranty issues further down the track..
But being a car manufacture. Can they refuse a warranty claim while having one fitted..
Legally they can't do anything unless it causes something else to fail. At least in the US, not sure anywhere else. With that said, anyone worried about voiding their warranty with aftermarket parts should probably refrain from modifying their vehicle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Iv'e just brought some myself. Just waiting in being delivered. I have also just got delivered an oil catch can..
So I'm going to be fitting the catch can 1st. Then giving it a clean with the CRC cleaner. Then I will change the oil, as it is due in 600ks anyway..

Hopefully that will make enough difference. I also plan on doing the CRC clean every 10,000ks (6200 miles)

My dealer told me to take off the catch can before they serviced my ES. They said hyundai considers anything not OEM as modifications.
It took 3 mins to take off my can, so I just did it.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts