Elantra Sport Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Best thing for carbon buildup in gdi engines. Only use top tier certified fuel for high detergent. Always allow for car to get up to normal operating tempature before shutting off engine. Should be good for 100k before major cleaning.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Since this post was bumped I think I can add some info since I recently dealt with it. Just FYI on the fuel additives, only thing they are going to do is keep the injectors clean. Since the car is direct injection. the back of the valves will still get covered in junk, especially if you do not have a catch can installed. Using CRC cleaner can help as long as you spray it in near the throttle body and not before the turbo.

Here's a sample of my intake valves at 66k miles, probably 20-30k of that is with catch cans. As you can see, back of the valves is not terrible, but there is a lot of buildup on the valve stems and around the top of the ports.

I had some help with doing a walnut blast to clean them up. They're not 100% but better than before. (we cleaned up the edges more after taking this photo)

Reactions: Voodoo Idol
41 - 43 of 43 Posts