Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a generic ADD W1 catch can copy with baffles. In the first 300 miles, I didn't catch anything visible on the breather side.

Then I added stainless steel mesh, after another 400 miles still didn't catch any visible liquid on the breather side. (There were two, just two very very small droplets of small oil forming on the baffle.)

Did Hyundai design internal baffle on their crank cover already? Because I am not catching much after 700 miles. I see people catch ounces of pour-able liquid in their cans....wth

·
Registered
263 Posts
I haven't caught much either, it depends on your driving style I Would assume... I don't beat on the car all that much.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I guess this is a good thing!

Maybe wait for a few more owners to chime in and see what they say... preferably the more spirited drivers to hear their experience?

·
Registered
241 Posts
It also depends on your location/environment. Wait until winter time when you'll get condensation on top of all the other crap.

Aggressive driving will definitely fill it up faster too. Keep an eye on it but 300-400 miles seems waaaayyy too soon to see hardly anything, especially on the breather side.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out our video on us emptying our occ
I don't know how hard you have to drive to get that much condensation.... but my catch can is not catching much in this humid weather in the coast of texas.

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Any updates, Solo_Gen? I just crossed 1000 miles. I'm keeping my car stock (ish), and am pondering an OCC purchase. Looking at one offered by Pierce Motorsports...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any updates, Solo_Gen? I just crossed 1000 miles. I'm keeping my car stock (ish), and am pondering an OCC purchase. Looking at one offered by Pierce Motorsports...
After 4600 miles, nothing.... Maybe I'm not driving the thing hard enough haha. I can smell the fuel vapor in the can, but there is no actual condensate.

·
Registered
263 Posts
After 4600 miles, nothing.... Maybe I'm not driving the thing hard enough haha. I can smell the fuel vapor in the can, but there is no actual condensate.
The environment will do a lot, I've noticed hot humid areas won't condensate as much of the hot air as a cooler area will. They will generate lots of condensation and turn those vapors into catchable liquid. I've had mind in for over 2000 miles and have caught a few teaspoons of oil on the pcv side. Nothing on breather. But I am in hot sunny Florida lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The environment will do a lot, I've noticed hot humid areas won't condensate as much of the hot air as a cooler area will. They will generate lots of condensation and turn those vapors into catchable liquid. I've had mind in for over 2000 miles and have caught a few teaspoons of oil on the pcv side. Nothing on breather. But I am in hot sunny Florida lol
I don't have a can on the PCV side. Now I think maybe I should haha.
Because TORK side the PCV side don't catch as much.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Bought another small oil separator on the PCV side, it's catching a whole lot for me just after 400 miles. Breather side still nada. I think I will swap the cans because the PCV side needs a bigger one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Some photos, and maybe a DIY (step-by-step) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Some photos, and maybe a DIY (step-by-step) would be appreciated.
Here you go mate.

I posted before already. Might be easier if I mention again.
The PCV side is very tight in space, so I had to route the hoses underneath the Intake Duct.

-6 ft of 3/8" fuel hose
-ADD W1 Baffled catch can (or knockoff with baffles), this is my breather side. I might switch over to PCV side
-JEGS oil separator on PCV side for now. It's catching alot.
-1/2" Clamps

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Unrelated question about your engine set up, is that a filter on the BPV hose? I thought that the guys over at Tork suggested against that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
It will be interesting as time goes on to see the difference between those who have catch cans and those who do not.

I'm in the no catch can camp for a few reasons.

I don't want to give Hyundai any reason to deny warranty coverage. I understand they have to "prove" that the modification caused an issue, but I don't care to fight with the dealership, Hyundai, or potentially involve attorneys. Having the intake cleaned down the road is easier than all that. The 100K powertrain warranty was a big selling point to me and I'm not F-ing with it.

I also believe if it were crucial to have one, automakers would include them somehow.

Finally, there are DI turbo vehicles out there with many miles, no catch cans, and no issues. In fact, a good friend of mine has a Jetta GLI with the DI turbo 2.0L, a tune, no catch can, approaching 100K miles, with no issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've watched the videos on YouTube where the Tork catch can was installed. From the way it looks, the intake pipe and the catch can both have to be removed in order to empty the catch can. Is that true or is it easier than I am imagining? I drive 500-600 miles a week so I would be draining the thing often more than likely.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts