Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago it rained and the morning after got below 28 outside. My car was completely frozen when I got up for work. As soon as I started my car it said the tire pressure was low(21-23 psi), I assumed it was because how cold it was. It has been 2 days and it's still warning me my tire pressure is low although now it is around 25-28 psi and its only on 3 tires. The weather is back to how it was a few weeks ago as well. Should I take it to Hyundai? I haven't had any problems with my car since I bought it 4-5 months ago. Has anyone else had this problem or am I just overreacting? lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have to think that your tire pressures were already low before the temperature dropped, which then made it even lower.
Not at all uncommon for air pressure to drop in correlation with temperature....add air until you reach 33 psi, or switch to dry nitrogen to lessen the pressure fluctuations.

·
Registered
229 Posts
How does one switch to nitrogen? Im guessing dry nitrogen is the same as what dealers pump into tires?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't switch to nitrogen. I did on my Tiburon way back when and it had a much higher pressure fluctuation rate than air. Waste of money, in my opinion.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A few days ago it rained and the morning after got below 28 outside. My car was completely frozen when I got up for work. As soon as I started my car it said the tire pressure was low(21-23 psi), I assumed it was because how cold it was. It has been 2 days and it's still warning me my tire pressure is low although now it is around 25-28 psi and its only on 3 tires. The weather is back to how it was a few weeks ago as well. Should I take it to Hyundai? I haven't had any problems with my car since I bought it 4-5 months ago. Has anyone else had this problem or am I just overreacting? lol
Normal, the 25F temperature between morning and afternoon here in Houston change my tire pressure by 4psi.

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I have to think that your tire pressures were already low before the temperature dropped, which then made it even lower.
Not at all uncommon for air pressure to drop in correlation with temperature....add air until you reach 33 psi, or switch to dry nitrogen to lessen the pressure fluctuations.
They wouldn't drop 10psi though. Maybe a few pounds at most. So either the sensors are reading wrong, of the tires were already way too low to begin with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts