Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried removing the center console arm rest lid yet (storage compartment)? I took out the two screws at the bottom of it, but the plastic piece does not come out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Has anyone tried removing the center console arm rest lid yet (storage compartment)? I took out the two screws at the bottom of it, but the plastic piece does not come out.
After you take out the 2 floor pan bolts, you should have room to get your fingers underneath the back piece of the center console to pop it off. Looks like it's held in by trim retainers.

Diagram linked.

https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/parts-list/2017-hyundai-elantra-us-alabama-made/console.html?PNC=84695D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! I was approaching it all wrong. I didn't realize what the two bolts were actually holding. I'll post an update when I get it off the car and wrapped in that alcantara.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks man! I was approaching it all wrong. I didn't realize what the two bolts were actually holding. I'll post an update when I get it off the car and wrapped in that alcantara.
Anytime. Looking forward to pics.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still can't figure this out. I've looked at that diagram a bunch of times and it looks straight-forward, but I don't see which part to pull or pry apart. None of the plastic bits we budge that typically would snap off with some force.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I still can't figure this out. I've looked at that diagram a bunch of times and it looks straight-forward, but I don't see which part to pull or pry apart. None of the plastic bits we budge that typically would snap off with some force.
Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I didn't even need to undo the floor pan bolts the bottom of the console. Just get small putty knife wrapped in painters tape and pry at the top of the console with the armrest up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, looks so easy when you see someone else do it. I'll get this done when I get home. Thanks a lot for taking the time to show this!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow, looks so easy when you see someone else do it. I'll get this done when I get home. Thanks a lot for taking the time to show this!
No problem. I didn't bother taking any of the screws out in the picture. I'm just assuming those two hold the armrest assembly in place. Let me know if it gives you any issues.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the whole cover removed finally. But I am still unable to take the actual "leather" part of it off of the plastic underside. I ended up (unintentionally) snapping all of the side clips on the inside. It still won't come off. From what it seems, there are just two phillips screws at the bottom. I took those off. I don't see anything else holding the cover down, yet it just doesn't want to snap off.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got the whole cover removed finally. But I am still unable to take the actual "leather" part of it off of the plastic underside. I ended up (unintentionally) snapping all of the side clips on the inside. It still won't come off. From what it seems, there are just two phillips screws at the bottom. I took those off. I don't see anything else holding the cover down, yet it just doesn't want to snap off.
Ouch. Shoot me some pics of the piece you are trying to disassemble.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the main leather "cap", the piece that the leather wraps around. I am trying to pry it off right where the seam is with the leather tucked into it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'll disassemble mine and let you know. Hard to offer suggestions when I'm not sure what it looks like :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here ya go. Disassembled with pics. You need to slide the armrest down/up to access all four (4) screws attaching the slider to the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ohhh, I didn't even realize there were screws under those rubber bumpers. I only removed the other two screws that you see when you slide the thing forward. Thanks again! I'll post my results, probably during or after the weekend. I have no stitching skills, so going to recruit someone else to do that. Thinking of using blue thread to match the exterior. Definitely don't want red.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ohhh, I didn't even realize there were screws under those rubber bumpers. I only removed the other two screws that you see when you slide the thing forward. Thanks again! I'll post my results, probably during or after the weekend. I have no stitching skills, so going to recruit someone else to do that. Thinking of using blue thread to match the exterior. Definitely don't want red.
Looking forward to it. So, what are your plans for the seats if you're not a fan of red? Lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not really sure. If I owned this car and not leased it, I'd just get new seats altogether. For now I will leave them as is and focus on this center console thing, the doors, and the steering wheel.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice! I would suggest you peel off the old cover, take out the stitching and use the pieces and stitch marks as a template for whoever is doing your sewing. Will make things very easy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't even think of doing that. Very clever! I did not want the same stitched seams in the new one, but the overall shape of it will be super helpful. Btw, also thinking of redoing the shift boot with the same Alcantara. This material is just so nice. Is it easy to take off?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts