Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the manual, stated the turbo gdi engine need to replace spark plug every 3 years. :(. My last car I drove for 10 years and didn't even change the spark plug. so that's an extra $400 per 3 years?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Like motor oil, the more often the changeover the less important the 'quality' (to a certain point of course). One four cylinder car I had, I changed the plugs (myself) with 'cheap' copper plugs every year. It was only $40 total per year. I bought them in bulk. I bought filters in bulk as well.

p.s.: 'quality' is in quotes because there is a lot of marketing BS (magical spark fairies, unicorn horn dust in the motor oil, etc) that add no actual value or performance.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Like motor oil, the more often the changeover the less important the 'quality' (to a certain point of course). One four cylinder car I had, I changed the plugs (myself) with 'cheap' copper plugs every year. It was only $40 total per year. I bought them in bulk. I bought filters in bulk as well.

p.s.: 'quality' is in quotes because there is a lot of marketing BS (magical spark fairies, unicorn horn dust in the motor oil, etc) that add no actual value or performance.
For these motors there are a couple important factors:

How far the plug extends in to the cylinder

How far the ceramic extends out past the threads

To get short-ish plugs where the electrode isn't sticking out way past the threads, generally speaking, isn't cheap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For these motors there are a couple important factors:

How far the plug extends in to the cylinder

How far the ceramic extends out past the threads

To get short-ish plugs where the electrode isn't sticking out way past the threads, generally speaking, isn't cheap.
idk, with the car still with 5 year manufacture warranty, at least the first change will be with the dealer so that ain't cheap.

·
Registered
108 Posts
**** those plugs ARE expensive! But you don't just change every 3 years. It depends on miles. They probably last 50k. Few will get 200k out of this 1.6. Cost isn't as bad as OP thinks. Plus, aren't there other spark plug options? Are these plugs really that good? Can they show a benefit over other plugs HP and MPG wise?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
**** those plugs ARE expensive! But you don't just change every 3 years. It depends on miles. They probably last 50k. Few will get 200k out of this 1.6. Cost isn't as bad as OP thinks. Plus, aren't there other spark plug options? Are these plugs really that good? Can they show a benefit over other plugs HP and MPG wise?
The HKS plugs benefit is in their mitigation of LSPI events.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The HKS plugs benefit is in their mitigation of LSPI events.
OK so there are benefits to this plug. Best plug for the Elantra Sport? Maybe maybe not. They probably last 40k-50k miles. You don't just change them to change them because a manual says so. OP's numbers are off. Unless he drives a TON. Which then yes everything gets expensive at that point.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
=_=.... pretty sure finding enough for a few is sufficient. Not like there's thousands of people on this site.... uuhg
No, but the 1.6l Hyundai community is pretty big. I know at least 150 or so VT owners who would want to know, not to mention some Forte guys as well, and all of the other people on their respective forums and fb groups.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
OK so there are benefits to this plug. Best plug for the Elantra Sport? Maybe maybe not. They probably last 40k-50k miles. You don't just change them to change them because a manual says so. OP's numbers are off. Unless he drives a TON. Which then yes everything gets expensive at that point.
It really depends on what you're doing. The VT guys on the bleeding edge of performance change theirs every oil change. If you're not pushing the limits of the motor then you certainly don't need to take precautions like that. Another issue with a lot of the other iridium plugs is that the iridium disk gets too hot and literally falls off of the plug and causes insane amounts of damage to cylinders. The HKS plugs don't seem to suffer from this issue. The M40XLs are suggested for non-tuned motors and the M45Xls for tuned motors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
These cars use direct injection and it is very important to change the spark plugs on time and use "top tier" regular grade fuel. This is to prevent carbon deposit issues that have plagued DI engines (of all makes) since the early days. Carbon deposit cleaning is not covered under warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.