Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello users, my friend is currently on a road trip, still has about 1300 miles left and got a check engine light. The code was "Turbo Bypass Valve - p2261". If I knew enough about cars I would have told him myself, hence why I am coming here for help, or to see if anyone has gotten this code before. I looked online and found it could be his ECM, bad turbo, or build up in the turbo. Anything helps! Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If he got the intake without the bypass valve recirculation and is running without the hose, something could have got in there. Either way the code is for the bypass valve (blowoff valve).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay,he did get the one with BPV recirc, but I told him to just stay out of boost and take it easy the rest of the trip, Thank you for quick reply, much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello users, my friend is currently on a road trip, still has about 1300 miles left and got a check engine light. The code was "Turbo Bypass Valve - p2261". If I knew enough about cars I would have told him myself, hence why I am coming here for help, or to see if anyone has gotten this code before. I looked online and found it could be his ECM, bad turbo, or build up in the turbo. Anything helps! Thanks everyone.
Hey so my 2017 ES had that code. Well, supposedly it's caused by the person changing your oil putting too much in there. I believe mine was a whole quart over. Shitty thing I keep getting a p4550 code or something close. It's a large evap leak and same shit, they can do anything because they can't find it. Well this is the third time and I've had the car since july or august. I'm going in calm but I'll flip out in a second. I have the full warranty so I def shouldn't be in there so often. I passed on a 2021 sorento S with 7 total miles. I'd be paying a shit ton more in gas buy man that Kia was dope.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well, supposedly it's caused by the person changing your oil putting too much in there.
2261 is definitely not for over filled oil.

Shitty thing I keep getting a p4550 code or something close. It's a large evap leak and same shit, they can do anything because they can't find it.
P0455. EVAP code, yes. Very common on these cars. EVAP system is temperature sensitive. This time of year it pops up a lot. Nothing is wrong with the car. Best thing you can do is clear it and move on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good luck your friend is gonna need it. I have had nothing but issues with the turbo and that exact code since the first year I bought my sport. 4 years in and now my engine and turbo are screwed and have to be replaced. 4 year old car should not be dead and it’s a very expensive fix.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Good luck your friend is gonna need it. I have had nothing but issues with the turbo and that exact code since the first year I bought my sport. 4 years in and now my engine and turbo are screwed and have to be replaced. 4 year old car should not be dead and it’s a very expensive fix.
Should still be under powertrain warranty. Did they bother replacing the bypass valve at all?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nope they didn’t and I noticed my car had multiple issues including having to put a new purge valve in as well and it wasn’t even a year old. First engine issue was 7 months in when I purchased my vehicle and a few months after that. I had P4550 code come up as well as the P2261 code. And another code as well since getting it. It’s had emissions issues saying I have a large leak. Feel like I got the run around with this car. Apparently got the lemon with this one. I have higher kilometres but not enough for my car to be dead already. Out of the blue the engine just crapped out. Was very disappointed that this happened and I am stuck with the car cause I’m still paying on it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Nope they didn’t and I noticed my car had multiple issues including having to put a new purge valve in as well and it wasn’t even a year old. First engine issue was 7 months in when I purchased my vehicle and a few months after that. I had P4550 code come up as well as the P2261 code. And another code as well since getting it. It’s had emissions issues saying I have a large leak. Feel like I got the run around with this car. Apparently got the lemon with this one. I have higher kilometres but not enough for my car to be dead already. Out of the blue the engine just crapped out. Was very disappointed that this happened and I am stuck with the car cause I’m still paying on it.
I assume the purge valve replacement came from it throwing the P0455 code. Which, with these cars, is very common. They are very sensitive to temperature changes, and it's widely known in the community that during the winter time it's P0455 season. Most people just clear the code and continue. 2261 is for the bypass valve which is a cheap plastic unit with a diaphragm. Most just replace it with an aftermarket metal blowoff valve, but a stock replacement valve is cheap. Not many engine issues around as far as I have seen, that's a rare one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It did and it came not even a year into the car. I have had issues since day one with check engine lights and turbo issues. I ended up paying for it and yet it probably should have been covered under the warranty. I am hoping they will do something about my car I shouldn’t have to be replacing my motor and my turbo in 4 years. $6,200 for a used set is pretty pricy and as of right now I have nothing to drive the engine gave up the gusto out of the blue. I am not even sure if I want to buy another Hyundai again after this. That’s 3 codes that have went off in my car since getting it. I’m stuck with a car I am paying 3 more years on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts