Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a clear bra myself two weekends ago...no experience before. Used a 3M Pro film. Did partial hood, small fender section, head lights, front bumper, rear trunk ledge, and mirrors. Cost was about $420.

I must say, it really wasn't terrible. I was more concerned about function than looks, did try my best to do a good job.

After I was done, I did have air bubbles. Probably around 20. No edges have been lifting up, which is most important. IMO, it is virtually impossible not to have bubbles. When I was installing it, it didn't look like there were many, but they ended popping up, so I don't know how you couldn't have it.

I talked to the company who sold it, and they said every installer has bubbles. But they are 'popped' with a syringe, and air extracted out. supposedly, not supposed to be apparent after doing that.

If anyone is interested or has questions, let me know. I can post some pics soon.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
IMO, it is virtually impossible not to have bubbles.
Had a professional do mine after I bought the car and had no bubbles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did mine 3 months ago with the precut ppf pro also. Some minor bubbling also. You can use a needle and squeegee them out. Doing my other car in a couple weekends and should go smoother. Ive used chemical guys jetseal a couple times after washing and it stays fairly clean and easy to wipe off.

·
Registered
240 Posts
No bubbles on mine as well. I had a professional tint the windows and apply PPF on the front and rear bumper. I do this for all my vehicles within the first week of ownership. The shop I use has a lifetime warranty as well so if a bubble ever showed up afterwards, they will remediate it, although I have never had to do that as I've used the same shop for the past 10 years or so.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you think the installer would have given the vehicle back to you with bubbles in it? They don't appear days later, they appear after it dries, which is a couple hours. Do you know how bubbles are rectified?

I'm glad you were able to pay a professional to perform the work, but my OP was regarding DIY work. And since you did not install the ppf yourselves, I'm not sure what your comments were supposed to achieve. . .but thank you for interacting on the topic!

The OP was meant for those who are interested in DIY clear bra, not those who were thinking about professional installation or who had it professionally installed.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
And since you did not install the ppf yourselves, I'm not sure what your comments were supposed to achieve. . .but thank you for interacting on the topic!
The point was, it can be done without bubbles...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
See my previous post
You said, it was virtually impossible to not have bubbles.

I didn't have bubbles. The car was literally picked up within minutes of him finishing.

Anyways.......moving on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You said, it was virtually impossible to not have bubbles.

I didn't have bubbles. The car was literally picked up within minutes of him finishing.

Anyways.......moving on.

I appreciate the debate, but my comment regarding 'virtually impossible' applied to those who have installed the film themselves. Since you had it professionally done, this doesn't apply to you, and neither does this entire thread. My other points in our conversation were explaining that you will never know if there were bubbles present in your installation, as the installer may have rectified them before handing the car back to you. So, while I understand that from your POV, there were no bubbles in your PPF, that may not be a factual statement. It think it is obvious that professionals, by nature of the definition, have the training to do with many less issues than us DIYers, but this thread is regarding those who are interested in DIYing this, w/o professional training.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I installed a clear bra myself two weekends ago...no experience before. Used a 3M Pro film. Did partial hood, small fender section, head lights, front bumper, rear trunk ledge, and mirrors. Cost was about $420.

I must say, it really wasn't terrible. I was more concerned about function than looks, did try my best to do a good job.

After I was done, I did have air bubbles. Probably around 20. No edges have been lifting up, which is most important. IMO, it is virtually impossible not to have bubbles. When I was installing it, it didn't look like there were many, but they ended popping up, so I don't know how you couldn't have it.

I talked to the company who sold it, and they said every installer has bubbles. But they are 'popped' with a syringe, and air extracted out. supposedly, not supposed to be apparent after doing that.

If anyone is interested or has questions, let me know. I can post some pics soon.
lets see some pics!

did you rectify the bubbles or did they self disperse? was it precut? do you have any previous experience with vinyl or film installation? the reason i ask is because i'd like to attempt something similar but any time i've tried to do anything with vinyl or film i've totally screwed it up or been very impatient and given up!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill get some pics today....it hasn't been hot enough yet to get the ones that can evaporate to do so. there still are some bubbles, but I am waiting to see what the the heat will help resolve. 0 previous experience with vinyl/film, and did use precut.

advice would be to have two people for hood and bumper. One to keep the side you are not working on wet, and you work on other side. yes, bumper was hardest. again, i am doing it mostly for protection, looks secondary to it. but i am very satisfied the way it turned out for the $4-600 savings on install.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Time to let the air out of those bubble with a pin and slowly push it out with a microfiber towel. Mine didnt go down after a week in the florida sun and I let the air out. The adhesive may start to lose its tackiness and not adhere

1 - 14 of 14 Posts