Elantra Sport Forum banner

Clutch Issues (May Update)

9K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Dwilso621 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

So for the past week I’ve been driving my 18’ M/T, and all of a sudden my clutch is having the following issues:

1. When I was driving my clutch pedal got stuck in the pressed position. I was down shifting from 2nd gear to 1st gear. When this happened, I managed to engage it to first but it was really hard to do it and when I tried to put it in neutral it wouldn’t let me.. I had to reach down and pull out the clutch pedal

2. When I press the clutch pedal (to down shift or up shift) the engagement point is all the way at the bottom.

Example. Before this happened my engagement point was half way. Now sometimes it’s at the fully depressed position. When this happens, and I go from 1st gear to 2nd, it feels like i’m trying to start from 4th gear or a higher gear.

3. When I rest my foot on the clutch pedal (not pressing it) just the weight of my foot pushes the clutch pedal about 80% of the travel, and then when I decide to press it, it’s already almost at the fully pressed position. When this happens it’s hard to shift from whatever gear. (When i rest my foot, I don't apply any pressure on the clutch pedal, it just sinks in by itself)

- I took it to the Hyundai dealership, the mechanic “drove it for a while” and they inspected it and check the fluids and couldn’t find a problem with it... they just returned the car and told me “we need to see if you’re driving it correctly”... i’ve been driving stick for 4 years (3 years with the ES, so there’s no way it’s my driving).. so idk if any of you guys have had this issue or what do you guys recommend?
(this issue happens random as well)

By the way, what type of clutch does the 18 ES have?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
If the Hyundai dealership experienced your item #3 and said they couldn't find a problem with it I would promptly go to a different Hyundai dealership...

#14 ·
Not sure how many forums there are, just going off of what I have seen in my facebook group. If it's the slave they will have to remove the transmission to replace it. If it is leaking they'll probably have to replace the clutch too.

#4 ·
can you elaborate when you say you downshift from 2nd to 1st? I was always under the impression it's not advisable to shift into first unless the car is not moving or barely moving. if coming to a stop I usually do 2nd to N. while stopped at a light, I dont put it in 1st gear early

#16 ·
So to give you guys an update.. They changed the clutch regulator.. then the problem
continued.. I took it back and they bled the system again. Now the clutch pedal doesn’t get stuck in the down position. However, the engagement point is still VERY close to the floor.. anyone having this issue as well?
Where the engagement point is very low...

when it happens, I also can’t get into 1st gear and the car stalls since the engagement point is soo low & so small.

Thanks in advance

#17 ·
I took my car in for service last Thursday, but unrelated, my clutch starting feeling weird as early as Friday, when I had to head back to LA and had to deal with some good ol' big city traffic. When clutching in to downshift, the pedal would get soft when I braked and the engagement point changed. The clutch would feel normal during acceleration and off the brake. I'm not blaming my dealer by all means as they did a service for something else, but could be the issue here or the MBC? Something feels 'suspect'

#19 ·
I just got my car back, and the dealer wasn't able to find any issues with the clutch (which doesn't seem to be the issue), so of course the funky pedal was not fixed. Just re-reading the OP's issue, and my ES' symptoms are almost similar. The clutch pedal's engagement point seems to change especially when I've had to brake. I'm going to have to take it back there again soon like the OP.

#21 ·
Update: I took my 2017 back to the dealer late last year to get it addressed. A few parts were changed but the issue remained. The dealer had to call the Technical Help line for Hyundai and finally in January after waiting in December to order a few more clutch parts, the car came back with a soft pedal, but driving it more, the fluid was flowing and it feels back to normal...we shall see how long it holds up once the temperature heats up again.

#20 ·
Having the same issue with my 17' M/T. Initially the clutch pedal would stick to the floor. After toping off the brake fluid reservoir, it never stuck again, but the engagement point is so short and seems to varies as I drive. I local mechanic bled the system and couldn't find any leaks.

#24 ·
Ive had very similar issues, engagement happens at 80% of the way down, and even fully pressing the clutch, car still inches forward in first. Another issue is that I have to use WAY more force to move the shifter into gear (its random when it happens, but mostly happens to first, second and third).

Im taking my car to a hyundai dealer/service center near me (I bought the car used from a Honda dealer with 16k miles, 2018 model, MT, 1.6 Turbo, warranty is still in effect till the 5/60 are up, which will be in 2 years). Anyway, took it to this hyundai dealership 1 month after buying it and they said it was faulty clucth taht needed to be replaced, which was odd. Took it to 3 more mechanics, which said its unlikely the clutch needs to be replaced, 2 of those said it was most probably the slave cylinder.

just wondering what my options are. This hyudnai dealership is probably not gonna want to service my vehicle but I aint moving that car until it works again.

#25 ·
Ive had very similar issues, engagement happens at 80% of the way down, and even fully pressing the clutch, car still inches forward in first. Another issue is that I have to use WAY more force to move the shifter into gear (its random when it happens, but mostly happens to first, second and third).

Im taking my car to a hyundai dealer/service center near me (I bought the car used from a Honda dealer with 16k miles, 2018 model, MT, 1.6 Turbo, warranty is still in effect till the 5/60 are up, which will be in 2 years). Anyway, took it to this hyundai dealership 1 month after buying it and they said it was faulty clucth taht needed to be replaced, which was odd. Took it to 3 more mechanics, which said its unlikely the clutch needs to be replaced, 2 of those said it was most probably the slave cylinder.

just wondering what my options are. This hyudnai dealership is probably not gonna want to service my vehicle but I aint moving that car until it works again.
Probably the slave, but the transmission still needs to be removed to replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.