Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fair review except, as always, street pricing is not considered. Not sure how writers can reasonably compare real-world pricing but considering what I paid for my ES, absolutely nothing is in its class. Even with discounts I'd STILL have to spend another $3K-$4K on another make/model to get a comparable car to my ES. I'm talking new of course...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd love to see someone who has tested the US model test the Australian model and deliver a really objective review on the handling differences, I have a feeling the Aussie one is set up really well given the extensive local tuning, working through combo's of shocks, dampers etc for a great end result.

Also giving it only 2.5 for driving experience... when he's said things like;

Straight-line performance wasn't the problem. The 1.6-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder comes on boost around 2000 rpm, pulling strong to the redline and making the most of its 201 horses ..... It's certainly enough to make you smile.
Sure, it cornered well and changed direction swiftly
The Elantra Sport felt merely like a well-sorted car.
Seems a bit low/harsh, they've specifically undercut those other cars and aim to just bring 'some' sport to the Elantra... like, it's not the 'N' hot hatch or anything. it does what it claims to do extremely well IMO, it doesn't claim to rival a GTI or Focus ST for driving engagement.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Steering feel is a huge deal when it comes to both confidence levels while driving a sporty car and the enjoyment of driving it as well. The ES has zero. None. Zip. It's going to be hard to score well in that category without it. Simple as that.

I accept that it doesn't have good steering feel and revel in the fact that I paid so little for a car that gives me so much. It puts a smile on my face when I drive it and that's good enough to justify the payments to me.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
No complaints on the steering here. And I come from a long line of Sentra SE-R's, Miata's, RX-7's, etc.

Again, this is CNBC we're talking about here. Not going to take anything they say about a performance car review seriously.

Reactions: birdman and n0thing

·
Registered
188 Posts
No complaints on the steering here. And I come from a long line of Sentra SE-R's, Miata's, RX-7's, etc.

Again, this is CNBC we're talking about here. Not going to take anything they say about a performance car review seriously.
That's a nice list. I'm pretty partial to SE-R's (I've owned B13s, B14s, and B15s) and the RX-8 (owned two).

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
That's a nice list. I'm pretty partial to SE-R's (I've owned B13s, B14s, and B15s) and the RX-8 (owned two).
x2 B13 ('92 & '94), x1 B14 ('98), x1 B15 ('00 SE w/Performance Pack - basically the SE-R for that year though one was not available)

·
Registered
188 Posts
x2 B13 ('92 & '94), x1 B14 ('98), x1 B15 ('00 SE w/Performance Pack - basically the SE-R for that year though one was not available)
I loved the SE PP. Literally no one knew anything about it so it could surprise a person or two.

x3 B13s ('91 and two '92s), x2 B14 (two Sentra SE 2.0s), x2 B15s ('02 SE-R and a '05 SE-R Spec V with the entire Nismo catalog installed).

A lot of memories with those cars. I still want to pick up a B13 again.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I loved the SE PP. Literally no one knew anything about it so it could surprise a person or two.

x3 B13s ('91 and two '92s), x2 B14 (two Sentra SE 2.0s), x2 B15s ('02 SE-R and a '05 SE-R Spec V with the entire Nismo catalog installed).

A lot of memories with those cars. I still want to pick up a B13 again.
I want another B15 SE. Miss that car.

Reactions: n0thing

·
Registered
214 Posts
i agree that the steering feel isnt great, but its also not as bad as ppl make it out to be. the best steering feel ive experienced in a car was from my 04 rsx s. it was very heavy and sporty feeling.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Steering feel is a huge deal when it comes to both confidence levels while driving a sporty car and the enjoyment of driving it as well. The ES has zero. None. Zip.
See this might also be aother difference with the Au model then, I have no issues with the steering. It's not got as much feel as my 78' Celica with no power steering lol, and around town it's muted as it should be, but on country roads it comes into it's own nicely. Plus call me crazy but I love the added weight at speed and how light it is in parking lots, it's neat.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i agree that the steering feel isnt great, but its also not as bad as ppl make it out to be. the best steering feel ive experienced in a car was from my 04 rsx s. it was very heavy and sporty feeling.
I'm sure it was hydraulic as well? That's the main problem with cars these days is that they have gone to electric power steering and with it you lose a lot of feedback. Some manufactures (Mazda) put more effort into tuning it than others to avoid the numbness.

·
Registered
175 Posts
harsh review no?

If I had to guess the writer of the review clearly has some bias towards the fords or GTIs. The overall score I would agree with but his talk about the ride quality and exterior I'd sorely disagree. Crappy review CNBC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts