Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people would look at the title and be confused, but what I mean is this:

I live in Michigan, so it's getting into the mid 20's overnight at this point. When it was warm outside (anytime before about 3 weeks ago), if the vehicle was cold started, and left to run for about 30 seconds, when you went to take off, things were normal. Since we've had this temperature shift, my car can idle for as much as 15 minutes, and when you take off, the first couple accelerations are usually delayed, very harsh, and kicking, and on several occasions have been so bad that i nearly was hit by oncoming traffic from not being able to pull out in time after it decided to give me no power half way through an intersection or a stop. Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know many people would look at the title and be confused, but what I mean is this:

I live in Michigan, so it's getting into the mid 20's overnight at this point. When it was warm outside (anytime before about 3 weeks ago), if the vehicle was cold started, and left to run for about 30 seconds, when you went to take off, things were normal. Since we've had this temperature shift, my car can idle for as much as 15 minutes, and when you take off, the first couple accelerations are usually delayed, very harsh, and kicking, and on several occasions have been so bad that i nearly was hit by oncoming traffic from not being able to pull out in time after it decided to give me no power half way through an intersection or a stop. Anyone else had this issue?
Spot on!! Do not pull into traffic with the DCT when there is less room to spare especially after stopping and yielding when you are accelerating slowly and you suddenly ask it for more power to pull away. There is a huge delay between 1st and 2nd shifts in this scenario as if the computer is contemplating whether to go into 2nd or shift back into 1st and finally decides to go into 2nd. I learnt this the scary way and I avoid such situations now. It's not just in cold weather but maybe you happened to notice it now. Maybe you are encountering wheel slip as well as it has been freezing the last few days. Also the full potential of the engine is not unleashed till the temperature needle reached running temperature.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
345 Posts
I have run myself into this issue on a couple of occasions. My solution is to engage Sport mode when I know I will need to go from traffic crawl to quickly merging in. Alternatively, I just touch the brakes only to engage the light, computer seems to keep the car in the first gear and this works for me as well. Or just switch to manual mode...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have the same cold weather issues. At first thought it was related to my tune having too much torque, nope it does it on stock tune as well

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have switched to the new redesigned formula Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 with API SN Plus rating and Fram Ultra oil filter. Much smoother and quieter. Also noticed the warm up time was reduced during cold start during this cold winter. Highly recommend to have try too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to hear that the DCT has problems when the temperature drops.

As the photo shows, it's chilly (-28C/-18F) here today. Thank goodness for the heated seats and steering wheel. Other than a few clunks from the rear over bumps (from stiff exhaust hangers?) and a few creaks from the back seat until the interior warmed up, the car was fine. I have a block heater (a mandatory "accessory" on cars sold here) which makes starting the car a non-issue, and the manual transmission shifts smoothly even in these conditions.

Stay warm!

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have switched to the new redesigned formula Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 with API SN Plus rating and Fram Ultra oil filter. Much smoother and quieter. Also noticed the warm up time was reduced during cold start during this cold winter. Highly recommend to have try too.
This isn’t going to help the issues he’s having with the DCT in the cold

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.