Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Elantra Sport w/DCT and I noticed my coolant reservoir level went from max to min in about 3-4 months. I haven't noticed any fluid anywhere so kinda worried it might be a head gasket issue, although I haven't seen anything in the oil. Also noticing some choppy/jerky acceleration between 30-100% power. Anyone have similar issues and or solutions?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The jerky acceleration is probably the stock electronic boost controller which is crap and it's highly recommended to replace it.

As far as the coolant, there have been some instances of leaky turbo cooling lines. Might crawl under and check that. (might be able to see them from the left side of the engine bay) My suggestion would be to fill it back to max when the engine is cold and see if it goes down again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got ya...ya I live in Cali so as far as upgrades I'm screwed, basically everything's illegal here, but I'd have to look into it. I'll definitely take a look at those lines when I get a chance though. That acceleration issue is super annoying though

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Got ya...ya I live in Cali so as far as upgrades I'm screwed, basically everything's illegal here, but I'd have to look into it. I'll definitely take a look at those lines when I get a chance though. That acceleration issue is super annoying though
Nobody is going to know about the EBCS. It's a little black solenoid that is buried down in the engine bay. Just replaces the stock one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a coolant leak on the garage floor, a fitting and hose were replaced by my dealer. No jerky acceleration though before or after..

·
Registered
38 Posts
i had a veloster, and the reservoir would be mostly completely empty. I never saw any leaks, or had any issues. Those member said that it evaporates since it is hot under the hood and in the summer. But, I've never had a NA car do that. . . .

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
If you've been using your heater, the coolant may be getting rerouted to your heater core causing the level to go down.
That's not how that works lol

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a fairly old post, but I want to provide you with this information and anyone else who runs into this same issue.

Technical Service Bulletin 19-AT-002H

Subject: Dual Clutch Transmission Clutch Replacement And TCU Software Update.

There was a Technical Service Bulletin back in February, 2019 that affected these models.
2017~2018 Elantra Sport (AD) 1.6L Turbo
2016~2017 Tucson (TL) 1.6L Turbo
2016~2017 Veloster (FS) 1.6L Turbo

Description: Certain vehicles (listed below) equipped with 7-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) may exhibit an abnormal vibration at low speeds. This bulletin outlines the procedures for diagnosing and replacing the Double Clutch, including a Transmission Control Unit (TCU) software update.

Hope this helps you and anyone else.

This would be for the choppy acceleration.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My coolant leak resulted from a bracket holding a coolant line to the turbo breaking. Fixed at the dealer under warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you still having choppy issues?
Ya I still am, checked the spark plugs and they looked fine, gap is around .030“. Coolant hasn’t moved at all since I posted this so I’m definitely happy about that, but still not sure why the coolant level went down in the first place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts