Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bluetooth OBDII plugin and the torque app and I use it for a boost gauge. I've only had the car in warm weather, anywhere from the 70s to the 90s, and the highest boost I have seen was 17.1 psi.

Today it was unusually cool, even for Minnesota. I just took a drive, the outside air temp is 57 degrees, the car fully warmed up, air intake temp 81 degrees, and I booted it in 2nd gear, the boost went to 18.6 psi. I thought it was a fluke, so I tried it again, and it went to 18.6 psi, again, also in 2nd gear.

Is that right? Is it the cooler weather, or did someone sneak a tune on my car? What is the max psi for these cars? My car is completely stock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Seems pretty odd that you saw that high of boost pressure. Try a 3rd gear pull from 20 MPH. With my bolt on upgrades, I usually see about 15.5-16 PSI peak boost with it falling off to 9.5-10 at redline. Generally, the air here in Alaska is about low to mid 60s in August on the high end.

The last tests I did were around home, where I am about 300 ft above sea level. Air temperatures were about 57 degrees F.
3rd gear pull from 20 MPH, 2 times in a row, netted a peak boost of 14.8 and 14.6 PSI with a minimum at redline of about 9.4 and 9.1 PSI.
2nd gear pull from 10 MPH, 2 times in a row, netted a peak boost of 15.9 and 15.6 PSI with a minimum at redline of about 9.9 and 10.1 PSI.

I say "about" to account for the fact that there may have been small error when I was looking at the gauge.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a bluetooth OBDII plugin and the torque app and I use it for a boost gauge. I've only had the car in warm weather, anywhere from the 70s to the 90s, and the highest boost I have seen was 17.1 psi.

Today it was unusually cool, even for Minnesota. I just took a drive, the outside air temp is 57 degrees, the car fully warmed up, air intake temp 81 degrees, and I booted it in 2nd gear, the boost went to 18.6 psi. I thought it was a fluke, so I tried it again, and it went to 18.6 psi, again, also in 2nd gear.

Is that right? Is it the cooler weather, or did someone sneak a tune on my car? What is the max psi for these cars? My car is completely stock.
Yours is high! I can only get 16psi in cooler weathers (80s F), in Houston afternoon here hits high 90s and even 100s, I can only get 15.1psi via my OBDII reading.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yours is high! I can only get 16psi in cooler weathers (80s F), in Houston afternoon here hits high 90s and even 100s, I can only get 15.1psi via my OBDII reading.
Getting the same power at lower boost is better. It means you've got more headroom when a tune comes around. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts