Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed the Cosmo Racing short shifter.

Link: Street Tuning Auto Piece BMW Performance Parts - COSMO Racing

Review: The installation took me about 3 hours to complete. That is due to the of lack of information on the Elantra Sport at this time. I also documented the installation process so that added a little time as well. The shifter quality is what I expected. The shifter knob size is spot on. I have been debating about replacing it, but am second guessing it due to the size and weight being more than adequate. The height of the shifter and length of the throws are perfect. The kit also includes the solid shifter bushings as well. Those "bushings" are milled aluminum and fit perfectly with no slop while installed. Cosmo Racing did do a great job in designing this shifter. I wouldn't spend the extra money on another shifter. During shifting, the engagement is very positive feeling. I do have about 60 miles on the shifter at this point and have yet to miss a shift or wonder what gear I am in.

Youtube:

Now on to the install. If you have any questions, please post up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
It it the OEM knob thread so others can be used?

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Can you be more clear on your question?
He wants to know if the threading on the new shifter for the shift knob is the same size and pitch as on the OEM shifter. In other words - can you thread the OEM shift knob on to this shifter?

That way he'll know if other knobs that use the OEM size and pitch thread will work with it or not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The factory shifter will not fit on the COSMO shifter. The factory shifter thread is 9.80mm x 1.25 while COSMO is 12mm x 1.25 with 23mm opening for the reverse lockout.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Well, until a shifter comes out with the stock pitch I will pass. Would like to keep my SXTH weighted knob.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
They canceled my order. Said there were none left in stock and didn't know when they'd be getting more. :(
Mine shipped a couple days ago. It's in Phoenix today (I'm 40 miles south of there) but the way the USPS works I expect them to fulfill the Monday delivery estimate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So when you initially start the process of taking it apart, all you have to do is pop that top plate off? There are no tabs or screws holding it down? I'm about to tackle this myself and don't want to bend or break anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
So when you initially start the process of taking it apart, all you have to do is pop that top plate off? There are no tabs or screws holding it down? I'm about to tackle this myself and don't want to bend or break anything.
Mine had the little box with the door where the usb port is attached to the shifter surround via 3 screws from underneath. It was pretty tricky to get everything apart the way the instructions describe. It was even trickier putting it back together.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts