Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we kno, the es isnt really that popular yet. Which in a way is good because it makes us es drivers feel special to have one. However no one who doesnt kno about doesnt kno the potential they could have. Not a lot of companies are making parts specifacally for it. Like some cars like the vw gti and subaru wrx. What do guys think? Do think the es will earn the respect it deserves or always be a hidden gem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am pretty sure it will always be a hidden gem. The tuners have to deal with encryption on the ECU (and TCU with the DCT) right now before they can even begin to tune! Tork is getting close to cracking both units. SXTH has a 6MT version.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is a Hyundai so it will always be a hidden gem, nobody thinks Hyundai is capable of making anything sporty, fun, and relatively fast like the ES. People will crap all over a Hyundai because of the H on the front bumber. I bought my Tiburon new in 2009, I honestly did NOT want a Hyundai. All you ever heard was how crappy they were. I could not pass up the ridiculous rebates on them so I sucked it up bought the car. I had it over 8.5 years. It was an awesome car. Never let me down, and when something stupid went wrong they fixed it. (Always minor things, never anything mechanical.) My ES is my second Hyundai, it recently replaced my tib. I love when people look at my ES and go "this thing is a Hyundai?" If I removed all the Hyundai badging people would think it was something completely different. I am also really excited about the N series they will be rolling out in the coming years. People will most definitely be taking notice of these cars. People gonna hate, some won't even try it out, better for us. I like making believers of the Hyundai Haters. But, some will always hate Hyundai no matter what. I love the VW people. I always ask them how their car is doing after it hits 60k.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I love the VW people. I always ask them how their car is doing after it hits 60k.
I was considering a Golf 1.8T or a Jetta SE when I was shopping and one of my VW loving friends was pumped that I might get one. In the end, I couldn't do it, still too scared of VW.

He lost his mind when I told him I bought a Hyundai instead.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not sure.

People at where I work have noticed the car. One guy test drove one. He bought a 2017 SI instead because he had already did the deal. He said he would have got the ES if he had not made the down payment. It attracts allot of attention with the exhaust note as well. Most reviews are positive. People who shop for transportation, or are badge shopping may not lean towards the ES. For those looking for a sporty auto to play with and are serious will look or buy the ES. It may also attract some who would normally buy a sedate sedan that may go for a ES instead due to the value. Will it convert Fan Boy/Girls? Only if they are not badge shopping. Some will buy a particular make just because of the past. Like the folks that believe modern cars are so much worse than the classics, despite the longevity, cold starting and accident survival stats that are right in front of them. I think the GT will make more of a difference than the ES. This will also help ES sales. I personally hope the ES does well. It would encourage Hyundai to keep on the performance track. This is my third Hyundai. The previous two were tough as nails. I am not good to vehicles. No car sees me at a dealer lot and says, "Pick Me". lol. I hope to make my next car a Hyundai as well, assuming that the ES is a reliable as the first two. Hoping that the 300 hp Elantra Fastback becomes a reality. That is my 1.5 cents worth. That is about what my opinion is worth though. As a side note. I would not have bought the ES if they had stayed with the torsion beam rear suspension. I want handling. My 2010 Elantra was independent rear. No sports car but handled OK compared to my GF's 2012 Elantra. I would have got a base WRX.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a side note. I would not have bought the ES if they had stayed with the torsion beam rear suspension. I want handling. My 2010 Elantra was independent rear. No sports car but handled OK compared to my GF's 2012 Elantra. I would have got a base WRX.
Completely agree. What got me to notice this car was the fact it has the GF4J engine paired with an independent rear suspension. The test drove confirmed my suspicions... that this is a diamond in the rough. There are only 2 or 3 Elantra Sports roaming the state of AK. I feel exclusive. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did consider the got but was concerned with long term reliability. I had gti before I had children. I liked it a lot but things failed consistently right after warranty coverage ended

·
Registered
241 Posts
These cars will be seeing 280-300 whp by the end of the year with a OEM turbo replacement. I think they'll be a little more popular than the Veloster Turbo, but not Focus/Fiesta ST level. I would hope tho!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts