Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp, it happened. 4,200 miles in and caught a bad bounce from a rock on the highway. Crack is 1/3 of the way across the windshield already.

Feel free to chime in if you performed this same mod on your car recently :rolleyes:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, happened on mine too, less than 3K miles.

I requested Hyundai glass and the company said that's all that's available now since the model is new.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
A semi going the opposite direction on a 2 lane highway kicked up a rock into my windshield on my way to work about 2 weeks after I brought the car home. Windshield was replaced the next day free of charge and it's an OEM windshield without me even having to ask for it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A semi going the opposite direction on a 2 lane highway kicked up a rock into my windshield on my way to work about 2 weeks after I brought the car home. Windshield was replaced the next day free of charge and it's an OEM windshield without me even having to ask for it.
Wow. Nice. How did you manage that?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Wow. Nice. How did you manage that?
Free replacement? Full glass coverage on my insurance and a great glass company that my work uses.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Free replacement? Full glass coverage on my insurance and a great glass company that my work uses.
Ah. For some reason I had hoped Hyundai felt bad and replaced it for you. :p I'll use this experience as assurance I made the right decision NOT to tint my windshield lol. It's a shame to cough up a deductible that was far more suited for mods.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It might be a good time for other owners here to consider getting clearplex wrap. At least doing that you lessen the chance your windshield will crack from a rock chip. You might be lucky to get away with just replacing the wrap at worst, at best it will do little damage to the wrap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got mine replaced 3K miles :( . Caught a rock on the highway coming off a giant stupid redneck truck, freaking Texas! I paid for the "Appearance Protection", Safelite came out today to replace it, he tells me he sees a lot of Hyundais in his line of work because the edges of the glass is not protected all the way around and that the edge is the weakest part of the glass. I took a closer look and yep edge to edge exposed. Anyway, he replaced it in 40 minutes, not Hyundai glass but it looked fine to me and I was happy not to see a crack from edge to the middle of my windshield anymore. BUT.... Now all of a sudden my Auto Defogging System is kicking on when I raise the A/C temp higher than 63 degrees. Is it the glass, is it the sensor? I don't know but I'm buggin about it. I've figured out how to turn ADS off but I don't want if off I want it to do what its designed to do. I guess I'll be making a trip to the dealership soon. =/

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just barely broke 1500KM's, driving home from work on a bare, dry highway, not a rock in sight, and the SUV in front of me drifts over onto the shoulder just far enough to flip two good sized rocks at the passenger side of the car. First one is jagged and puts a two sizeable raspberries low on the passenger window. Second one hits the passenger side hood, puts a tear in the XPel cover and a dent in the hood. On the way in to town the next morning to try to get the chips repaired, a nice crack line goes all the way across the bottom of the window.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just barely broke 1500KM's, driving home from work on a bare, dry highway, not a rock in sight, and the SUV in front of me drifts over onto the shoulder just far enough to flip two good sized rocks at the passenger side of the car. First one is jagged and puts a two sizeable raspberries low on the passenger window. Second one hits the passenger side hood, puts a tear in the XPel cover and a dent in the hood. On the way in to town the next morning to try to get the chips repaired, a nice crack line goes all the way across the bottom of the window.
I see you live in Alberta. I visit there once a year for work. Every rental car I've had has a cracked windshield. It's a given! Rough winters. Us in Ontario, can't complain!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think im the most unlucky here haha second day owning it had put 200 kms ish on and smack outta nowhere like 1-2 seconds after a car went by chip #1. Right mid windshield drivers side 3 inches from edge. So two days later im driving home from town. Stopping to speedy glass to have chip sealed. And. What do ya know another two chips all in the same 4 inch radius. Honestly think i have the worst luck haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts