Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in the process of installing new speakers in my base sport, I went ahead and updated the door upholstery. I wanted a bit more contrast with the red stitching. I have done this on several other vehicles with similar door assemblies and this one was just as easy. If there is interest, I would be happy to do a DIY write-up on the process - for either the speaker install or the door upholstery. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I definitely thought of putting some black alcantara type material in that spot on mine. So yes, DIY would be awesome.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Any chance you can share the process/specs of changing the speakers from the base spec?

I really want to do the same but am keen to see whats in there now, what others are replacing with and the subjective before and after impressions.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Any chance you can share the process/specs of changing the speakers from the base spec?

I really want to do the same but am keen to see whats in there now, what others are replacing with and the subjective before and after impressions.
I also have replaced main 4 speakers the first thing. It's relatively easy. I can share some of the experience with you as well.

-Plastic pry tool (Flat Head with cloth to protect paint will do too)
-Philips screw driver
-Cutter (big enough to cut stock speakers' plastic legs off, save the outer mounting molding)
-Drill 1/8 bit (Pilot hole for screws speaker to stock mount molding)
-Alternatively Hot Clue (glues speaker to stock mount molding)

The biggest thing is to use the stock speaker Molding. So don't throw the stock speaker assembly away!!! I didn't take picture while I changed mine out.

Used these bad boyz for very decent sound. Only $35 a pair when I bough them.
https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fos...1496325844&sr=8-1&keywords=6.5+3+way+speakers

While you are at it, you can also add sound deadening mats to the door through the speaker holes. I found it improves the sound a bit.

Reactions: birdman

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like there is some interest. I will be finishing up the rear door panels/speakers over the weekend. I'll do a write-up and post a thread for each door upholstery/speakers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One more pic? Have the door wide open like you do, but show the steering wheel and seat too? Id love to see how it all blends!! and YES to the DYI!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Looks like there is some interest. I will be finishing up the rear door panels/speakers over the weekend. I'll do a write-up and post a thread for each door upholstery/speakers.
Any progress on this?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got some alcantara material coming in, I am ready! Really want to cover those ugly perforated door panels.
Where did you buy your alcantara from? Let me know your thoughts on the quality of it. I'm likely going to do a custom shift boot and e-brake boot using alcantara.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Where did you buy your alcantara from? Let me know your thoughts on the quality of it. I'm likely going to do a custom shift boot and e-brake boot using alcantara.
Just received it, the quality is great. I got it from ebay. Just search for genuine alcantara, there should be only a few options. Mine cost about 70 per yard.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just got one yard. I want to cover all the door perf pieces, the center arm rest, and then maybe get more and attempt to make a proper cover for the steering wheel to be stitched on. I know redline goods do that for you, but they need a used wheel core to work with, and there isn't one available yet.

This Alcantara roll has foam backing which adds thickness to it (about 2mm total thickness). I like it, especially the shade. It is mouse-gray, looks exactly like you see on lambos. The feel is soft unlike suede. Definitely worth the money imo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts