Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I wanted to let you guys know about datalogging and how it can help you know what's going on in your car, help you diagnose problems, tell when someone is BSing you, etc!

First, get a OBD2 wireless reader. There are many, but I prefer this one, with Bluetooth capability for an Android Device.

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lx...gEGtGLLqQlGktXkgWXWDCsxVk76oOH9YuQaAkk48P8HAQ

Next, look up the Torque Pro App for android. It has Hyundai specific PIDs (data types) and it a great app for exporting the information into a spreadhseet.

https://torque-bhp.com/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Now, for those who hate making graphs in excel, there is an awesome free webiste that automatically turns your datalog into a nice chart that you can add/subtract data from.

datazap.me | Fast, Free, Interactive Datalogs

Now, see attached file to this post. I took a datalog of my runs from the dragstrip this past weekend to show you guys what the car does at Wide Open Throttle.

I took a few minutes to mark up this screenshot. Here I can point out a few things:

- If you are fairly close to sea level, a stock ES will peak about 17.5psi at the onset of WOT around 3500-4500 RPM.
- As you approach the end of the gear, boost will taper down to about 12-13psi
- You can see the "flat-line" of the throttle position reading. This is representing my foot to the floor.
- Be wary though, the ECU is in full control of the pedal. As we get more and more bolt ons and approach factory limiters, you can catch the ECU adjust the throttle, even if your foot is to the floor.

I highly suggest anyone and everyone gets into doing this just a little bit. I think it's fun and it can be super helpful if you think your car is running funny.
Get some logs done and saved, and if you have any problems in the future or want to test an installation of a new product you can take new logs and compare them easily.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can help.

We run this process every time we tune a car to make sure our adjustments are doing what we want. We can't wait to get tuning done for this car!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a few questions - I haven't actually looked at where this plugs into in the car but is it able to be tucked away or will it stick out into your knees while driving? (I would go look but I am at work lol)

Also, how accurate do you find this to be in terms of boost and MPG?
And is it accurate at all in regard to HP and Torque? Have you compared the HP the app shows vs your dyno tests?

Thank you for the write up!

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
You can tuck it away. It goes in to the OBD2 port near your left knee when you're driving. You just pop the port out of the two little plastic retainers and let it dangle so you can close the door back up.

Boost it's reasonably accurate - was always within a psi or so of my boost gauge in my VT. MPG - never tried it. HP and torque - horribly inaccurate.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I may do this to try and find out why my car is hesitating at part throttle. Pulled out to pass some cars on the way home yesterday in 5th gear and it seriously felt like the car wasn't turbocharged because the hesitation was so bad it felt like severe turbo lag.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can tuck it away. It goes in to the OBD2 port near your left knee when you're driving. You just pop the port out of the two little plastic retainers and let it dangle so you can close the door back up.

Boost it's reasonably accurate - was always within a psi or so of my boost gauge in my VT. MPG - never tried it. HP and torque - horribly inaccurate.
The reader and app output EXACTLY what the ECU is seeing. I trust this vs any aftermarket gauge period :)

As for HP/Torque I do not trust these for accuracy because it bases them on many variables and calculations. What I would trust/use those readings for is comparing modifications or situations like adding an exhaust or a hot vs cold day, using the device as a comparison tool for your own car.

Mark, what PIDs do you recommend logging?
Engine RPM
Wastegate Duty Cycle
Air/Fuel Ratio Measured
Engine Absolute Load
Fuel Rail Pressure
Throttle Position Manifold
Timing Advance
Turbo Boost/Vacuum Gauge
Coolant Temp
CVVT Temp
Ambient Air Temp
Intake Air Temp

And any others you see in there that you could relate to any issue or test. I usually stick to the list above.

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
Thanks! I haven't set up logging for this car yet. Seems like a good list. I think I was monitoring all of these on the Vt except the waste gate duty cycle and engine absolute load.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I haven't set up logging for this car yet. Seems like a good list. I think I was monitoring all of these on the Vt except the waste gate duty cycle and engine absolute load.
Those two are mostly viewed and tracked when I'm tuning. I have to see those to make adjustments. You probably wouldn't need them unless you were trouble shooting something wastegate related.

·
Registered
92 Posts
so this mean you know if the boost drop at 5k rpm is the ECU triggering the WG to control power output or the turbo limitation??

Reactions: SXTH-Element

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so this mean you know if the boost drop at 5k rpm is the ECU triggering the WG to control power output or the turbo limitation??
You can definitely see if stuff is going on. I'd get this all set up while the car runs good and record a bunch of logs.

If you get any hiccups down the road, you have good data to compare too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can definitely see if stuff is going on. I'd get this all set up while the car runs good and record a bunch of logs.

If you get any hiccups down the road, you have good data to compare too.
actually it was a question about your graph :p

·
Registered
92 Posts
An 18 - 20% difference is not "accurate" by any stretch of the imagination.
this is a normal power lost for a FWD, in the RWD world we are use to 25-28%

·
Registered
92 Posts
love to bring back old thread from death lol

I don't have the wastegate duty cycle sensor in my log PID manager. what is the name I'm supposed to look for?

·
Registered
92 Posts
lol

ok the tread was old but my question was more about the sensor name that trigger the wastegate.

Torque web site say the hp is calculated at the wheel and how important it is to put the right vehicle weight, so it's calculated! probably use some of the phone sensor for G force plus the data of the ECU paired with the weight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts