Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone accomplished a DCT fluid change/flush and if so what was the process and what type of fluid did you use? I'm not seeing any Amsoil fluids that work with our DCT...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am not 100% positive on this but my friend that is a tech at Hyundai told me it just uses manual transmission fluid and only about 2 quarts to drain and refill it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Anyone already changed the DCT fluid? How about the Motul MULTI DCTF Dual Clutch Transmission fluid? It meet the standard API GL-4 which the owner's manual mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was thinking of changing my dct fluid too. I see the drain/fill plugs. Looks easy but how do you know when it’s full? Does it run out of the fill plug or is there another plug for checking the level? Like the 2013 Veloster.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Redline oil has their brand dct listed for our trans when I search their recommended products for our car. They've been around a while. I've used their gear oil, and water wetter when I change my coolant

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ours doesn’t look like that. The fill plug is on the front of the transmission (not the side) and is an 8mm Allen wrench. Right?? I don’t see any bolts on the side that look like they are for “checking” or “filling”. You’re seeing the same stuff I’m pulling up on the internet. That’s why I’m so confused.

And yeah, Redline does say the MT-LV fluid is for our DCT. Might give it a try. Just need some clarification as to where to add it and how to check it once it is added.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, GsiTurbo is right! Found that bolt. It’s a real pain to get to but I did end up changing my fluid. Thanks Gsi.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What fluid did u go with? Did u use a fluid pump? Got a quote for 200. For that price I'll learn myself. Doesnt seem much different than a diff change

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just got a gallon of redline of mt-lv. At 45k miles now. Gonna change at 50k. Long commute to work so it wont be long. I watched a video of a veloster dct fluid change. I imagine its gonna b the same. I'll ty to video it and post.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Changed the dct fluid today with redline. The lower bolt was 24mm and drained the fluid. Used a dark 14mm bolt to fill. Had to put the bolt on fast as fluid started to come out. I tried to get the allen wrench bolt out with no luck. Make sure to use a small fluid hose. There was some back pressure due to air not being able to escape so I had to remove the tube several times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changed the dct fluid today with redline. The lower bolt was 24mm and drained the fluid. Used a dark 14mm bolt to fill. Had to put the bolt on fast as fluid started to come out. I tried to get the allen wrench bolt out with no luck. Make sure to use a small fluid hose. There was some back pressure due to air not being able to escape so I had to remove the tube several times.
So is there a 14mm bolt fill hole and a 8mm Allen fill hole? Also, was the drain plug magnetic? Might have to pick up a gasket/washer for the fill and drain plugs this week.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The drain bolt is 24mm.the fill bolt is 14mm. I couldnt get the allen bolt out. Tried breaker bar also. Tried turning both ways. If u cant get it off ull need a fluid pump. Get an adapter and a smaller size hose if u use the 14mm fill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got under the car today to try and figure out how difficult it would be to change the transmission fluid. I couldn’t get an 8mm hex/Allen to fit the black bolt on the front of the transmission, but a 5/16 hex/allen worked although I didn’t actually try to remove it...I didnt have any trans fluid and didn’t want to accidentally drain it and not have any to replace it. The black drain plug on the bottom is a 24mm and as for the fill plug on the drivers side of the transmission...it was a pain to get to it so I decided to call it quits. Maybe with a low profile ratchet or a flex head wrench you might be able to get to it...maybe a little more time and I would’ve got to it, but anyways not as easy to get to as I would have imagined. I’ll attach some pics so y’all could get a look for yourselves.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting, I am planning to change mine since I have tracked the car. I called my dealer and they said they couldn't change it because it was a "lifetime" fluid. I wouldn't think so...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From reading a few of the other Hyundai forums, it sounds like the black 5/16 hex/Allen bolt is a fill plug, but not a proper fill level indicator. The plug on the drivers side that is difficult to get to is the actual fill level, the black 5/16 plug on the front just makes it easy to fill, but will allow you to overfill the transmission by about a 1/2 quart. Like I said, read it on another forum so take it for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used the lower driver side black 14mm. Had i known about the upper rear driver side, I would have used that. Let us know if/how you got that allen plug out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used the lower driver side black 14mm. Had i known about the upper rear driver side, I would have used that. Let us know if/how you got that allen plug out.
Oh okay, I see which bolt you’re talking about. I’ll take another crack at it when I receive some of the tools I ordered. Here is the service manual info I’m using.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts