Elantra Sport Forum banner

DCT fluid change?

26K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  R1600Turbo 
#1 ·
Has anyone accomplished a DCT fluid change/flush and if so what was the process and what type of fluid did you use? I'm not seeing any Amsoil fluids that work with our DCT...

#7 · (Edited)
Ours doesn’t look like that. The fill plug is on the front of the transmission (not the side) and is an 8mm Allen wrench. Right?? I don’t see any bolts on the side that look like they are for “checking” or “filling”. You’re seeing the same stuff I’m pulling up on the internet. That’s why I’m so confused.

And yeah, Redline does say the MT-LV fluid is for our DCT. Might give it a try. Just need some clarification as to where to add it and how to check it once it is added.

#12 ·
Changed the dct fluid today with redline. The lower bolt was 24mm and drained the fluid. Used a dark 14mm bolt to fill. Had to put the bolt on fast as fluid started to come out. I tried to get the allen wrench bolt out with no luck. Make sure to use a small fluid hose. There was some back pressure due to air not being able to escape so I had to remove the tube several times.

#15 ·
Got under the car today to try and figure out how difficult it would be to change the transmission fluid. I couldn’t get an 8mm hex/Allen to fit the black bolt on the front of the transmission, but a 5/16 hex/allen worked although I didn’t actually try to remove it...I didnt have any trans fluid and didn’t want to accidentally drain it and not have any to replace it. The black drain plug on the bottom is a 24mm and as for the fill plug on the drivers side of the transmission...it was a pain to get to it so I decided to call it quits. Maybe with a low profile ratchet or a flex head wrench you might be able to get to it...maybe a little more time and I would’ve got to it, but anyways not as easy to get to as I would have imagined. I’ll attach some pics so y’all could get a look for yourselves.

Attachments

#18 ·
From reading a few of the other Hyundai forums, it sounds like the black 5/16 hex/Allen bolt is a fill plug, but not a proper fill level indicator. The plug on the drivers side that is difficult to get to is the actual fill level, the black 5/16 plug on the front just makes it easy to fill, but will allow you to overfill the transmission by about a 1/2 quart. Like I said, read it on another forum so take it for what it’s worth.

#22 ·
Got under the car today to try and figure out the best way to remove the transmission fill plug after having some trouble last time. Although I didn’t actually remove the plug, I ended up using a 3/8‘s drive ratchet with an 8“ or longer extension and a 17mm shallow swivel socket. That ended up being the easiest way for me to reach the plug for future removal. I also tried touching the plug with my hand to see if I would be able to reinstall the plug by hand, but I couldn‘t quite reach it. I tried a snap-on ratcheting box end flex head wrench, but couldn’t get it to seat properly because of some metal protrusions around the fill plug. I was also able to reach the plug with a 3/8’s drive flex head ratchet and a 17mm low profile snap-on socket, but that was a bit more difficult and didn’t work as well as the extension and swivel socket. I also ended up turning the wheels both directions to see if that would allow more room, but that didn’t really help. Lastly, I tried reaching the plug from the drivers side wheel well. I turned the wheel completely to the right and was able to see the fill plug. I believe with a wobble extension and socket or extension with a swivel socket, you should be able to remove the plug if you remove the wheel to give you some room to work with.

#23 ·
My understanding for the DCT transmission fluid you should have it checked every 40k mileage depending on your driving conditions. It didn't even mention replacing in my owners manual other than having it checked and IMO that doesn't sounds all that good. It should be replaced probably around the 40K mark. I'm guessing it depends upon how hard we drive our cars.

#25 ·
Hi guys - I have a 2019 Elantra GT N-Line with the DCT. I want to drain the OEM fluid and replace with Redline. On the Facebook forums it was recommended to replace both the fill and drain crush washers after the fluid change, however it was noted that they're different sizes. Do you guys have the part numbers handy for these (and the plugs too)? I believe the drain crush washer is part #21513? Not sure about the fill plug?

#26 ·
Hello,

This is a question to everyone here that posted from the past about changing the transmission fluid.
The main drain plug bolt off, has anyone else notice that it has a second leveling plug inside where the drain plug is located? Has anyone taken the driver side rim off and move the wheel well cover off to get into the fill plug? Our sealed DCT transmission is similar to the sealed transmission on a Toyota.

I don't have a hoist to properly lift the car and fully leveled, and my friend that has a garage gave me this link Sealed Transmission

I just want to help out with this community for research and such, hopefully this helps everyone in here and others searching for answers.

#27 ·
Hello,

This is a question to everyone here that posted from the past about changing the transmission fluid.
The main drain plug bolt off, has anyone else notice that it has a second leveling plug inside where the drain plug is located? Has anyone taken the driver side rim off and move the wheel well cover off to get into the fill plug? Our sealed DCT transmission is similar to the sealed transmission on a Toyota.

I don't have a hoist to properly lift the car and fully leveled, and my friend that has a garage gave me this link Sealed Transmission

I just want to help out with this community for research and such, hopefully this helps everyone in here and others searching for answers.
not sure what you mean by a second leveling plug, but I usually put the front of the car on jack stands, loosen the fill plug, remove the drain plug and drain the fluid, lower the car, loosen the drivers side wheel, use a floor jack to raise the drivers side of the car up and remove the wheel and then lower the car slightly to get it level…you can measure the height from the floor to the floor jack lifting point prior to removing the wheel and lower it to that level once you remove the wheel to get the car level, but honestly I just drain the fluid and refill with 2 quarts of fluid and call it good.