Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so I got my 18 sport this week with 34 miles, have about 250 on it now. Tonight I was grabbing some food and on the way home I had it in 5th and sport mode and punched it a bit and it seemed like the trans slipped, lurched and grabbed the gear, did it again before hanging on to the gear. I tried it in every gear and in drive without sport mode on. Naturally this happens right before the weekend, might still drop by the dealer and take the service manager for a ride.

I have a video I can upload and post to give you guys an idea but hard to tell at night. However, do you guys think it's fubar'd? or is it just something with break in? Only other DCT i have had was a DSG in a TDI jetta and it didn't do that at all. Overall Ive been fairly easy on the car with some spirited driving here and there, but rev limiter shifts haha, highest ive shifted at so far is 4500-5k

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

and by punch it, i mean like half throttle, maybe 3/4 and I wasn't stabbing the throttle, just pressed the gas down and let the boost build..

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven’t noticed it, but I haven’t exactly used sport mode that often along with selectioning gears with the DCT platform. I’m a little worried now giving it a go only to confirm your findings. I might test it out at some point.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven’t noticed it, but I haven’t exactly used sport mode that often along with selectioning gears with the DCT platform. I’m a little worried now giving it a go only to confirm your findings. I might test it out at some point.

Actually just went back out a few minutes ago for about a 15 minute cruise through the backroads around here. Let everything warm up before I started trying to replicate it. Wouldn't do it, car ran great and shifted smooth and fast. Not exactly sure what to think about it right now except that I'll just keep an eye on it.

FWIW, it did it in automatic with sport mode off when it was happening before as well so isn't directly related to using manual mode and sport. However I find myself using manual just for the added throttle response around town, keeps it from wanting to have a mind of its own most of the time.

So I'll keep an eye out and report back after I log some more miles, if it keeps happening ill run it up to the dealer and have them take a look. Not a huge deal. I figure if its a big issue, ill know for sure once i get past my break in period of 500 miles (personal thing) and start to really get into it some.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This happens to me frequently. I will be taking off at a slow speed and the trans feels like if trying to leave at to high of a gear. I have to give it’s much more throttle and the it downs shifts and accelerates. I find it concerning since it has happened when I am crossing an intersection.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This happens to me frequently. I will be taking off at a slow speed and the trans feels like if trying to leave at to high of a gear. I have to give it’s much more throttle and the it downs shifts and accelerates. I find it concerning since it has happened when I am crossing an intersection.
Doesn't really happen to me at low speeds and I do a lot of driving around town. With DCT you just gotta ease into it and let it do its thing at low speeds. The gears are short in auto, try using manual and see if that helps. Just remember you gotta give it time to get into gear before pressing the paddle or shifter to the next gear or else things get kind of weird. That's just a characteristic of DCTs in general. The DSG I had in my TDI was the same way in auto mode some times at slow speeds as what you're describing.

If you just want to stick to auto, try sport mode, it'll keep the RPMs a bit higher and the throttle response a bit sharper so it may alleviate some of those issues you're having.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Over the course of 22k miles with the DCT I've seen it occasionally catch itself off guard and kind of "slip" into a gear. I've never had it slip while it's locked into a gear in manual mode like that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Over the course of 22k miles with the DCT I've seen it occasionally catch itself off guard and kind of "slip" into a gear. I've never had it slip while it's locked into a gear in manual mode like that.

Id expect the quirks here and there like you've had, just like I had with the DSG on my old TDI. I just got a bit worried when it did what it did in the video with only 240 miles on it hahaha. And I'll reiterate, it was all modes. Manual, auto, sport and no sport. And it did it the entire drive home, if I just drove normally it was fine. But as soon as I got on it is when it triggered. Tried to replicate it about an hour later and nothing would happen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It takes some getting used to. It is an automated manual, not an automatic, and mine behaves as such - mostly it shifts and drives like someone who really knows what they're doing is driving a manual. Occasionally, it will have a hiccup.

For downshifting during acceleration, I have better results if I let off the gas when shifting like I would if I were driving a standard manual.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It takes some getting used to. It is an automated manual, not an automatic, and mine behaves as such - mostly it shifts and drives like someone who really knows what they're doing is driving a manual. Occasionally, it will have a hiccup.

For downshifting during acceleration, I have better results if I let off the gas when shifting like I would if I were driving a standard manual.
I’ve had DCT gearboxes before and I’ll say I’ve never had something do that as a “hiccup”. However it hasn’t done it since so I guess it was just one of those things to keep an eye on. Overall the car has been amazing to drive, often find myself taking the long way home from work haha.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Little update since it’s been a few days of driving

I hit 500 miles (I drive a lot, even more now with this car) and that’s my personal “break in” period even though they say it doesn’t need it.

Either way. I ran the car pretty hard on the way home with a few full throttle pulls in sport/auto, manual/sport and just regular auto as well with the TCS off. Had no slipping or craziness like I had in the video. Pulled strong and held gears just fine. Quite a **** relief cause I thought I had gotten a dud.

Now that I’ve really opened the car up, I’m even more happy with it. Not a ton of power, but it’s just enough to have fun with. Once taxes and everything are squared away SXTH will be getting my money for an intake, resonator delete and getting some tork catch cans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad to hear the issue has seemingly resolved itself, however it always leaves you wondering what it was in the back of your head. We'll just attribute it to lack of bonding time for now and hope it doesn't return aha. DCT gearboxes can be a little finicky at times, and from watching your video, I would have no idea where to start trouble shooting. I'm sure by now you've gotten a better understanding of how the car drives/accelerates and I wouldn't anticipate its return.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to hear the issue has seemingly resolved itself, however it always leaves you wondering what it was in the back of your head. We'll just attribute it to lack of bonding time for now and hope it doesn't return aha. DCT gearboxes can be a little finicky at times, and from watching your video, I would have no idea where to start trouble shooting. I'm sure by now you've gotten a better understanding of how the car drives/accelerates and I wouldn't anticipate its return.

Yeah that’s where I was with it, like where do you even start? Hahaha. I’m kinda just chalking it up as the planets aligning and some weird **** happening haha. Though if it shows itself again later on I might take it in just to see what they think it may be. Now that I’m used to this trans though I love it. Super quick and good power transfer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.