Elantra Sport Forum banner

DCT started skipping gears on downshifts

7K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  WesternSwagz 
#1 ·
I just started having this issue today. At first I thought I wasn't watching my gears carefully, but then realized it was the gearbox messing up. When I drive, say, in 7th, shifting manually (doesn't matter what mode), I press the paddle once to downshift, but instead of dropping to 6th it goes to 5th or 4th or even 3rd. Same happens with lower gears. It would even drop down to 1st from 3rd and letting the rpms jump to redline. Turned the car off and on, no change. It's consistent on every single shift. Anyone else having this issue? I am taking the car in asap to get this checked out.

#5 ·
Some guy on the facebook group was having issues with it skipping gears upshifting, but I don't think he mentioned any downshift problems. The dealer told him the transmission learns driving habits and will sometimes have a mind of its own, even in manual mode. I think he also learned he wasn't clicking the paddle fully, so sometimes it would double shift.

#6 ·
This sounds like the same issue I mentioned in another thread (dct shifting inconsistently). I've learned to work around that, so when I shift from one gear I wait a bit longer to shift to the next. For example, if I launch in 1st, then shift to 2nd, I wait till about 5k rpm to shift to 3rd so it reacts instantly. If I don't wait enough, it just waits till it wants to shift and ignores my paddle press. However, this new issue I am talking about is strictly related to downshifts. I will set up an appointment tomorrow and also mention the upshifting issue. I'll post an update when this is resolved. By the way, I have tried disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu, but it didn't do anything. I also don't believe this has anything to do with the driving habit learning. Shifting from 7th to 4th and near redlining is not safe for the car, so at this point it's actually being self-destructing.

#10 ·
I noticed this only on upshifts and only with the paddles. Only skips 2 gears at a time however I can feel that it does infact use the in between gear but the display doesn't reflect that. So 2-4 for example, I feel the change to 3rd then 4th. This doesn't happen all the time either. I generally only use the center column shifter regardless but I do feel that shifts can be quicker with the paddles especially downshifts. I'm interested in what feedback everyone gets from the dealers.

#11 ·
The car is at the dealer now. Will update when I hear anything. So far the car went from skipping shifts all the time consistently to only doing it every 5 minutes (while constantly shifting up and down with paddles during the drive). It seems like a glitch that is correcting itself, but could be total bs and is a more serious issue. We'll find out.

As far as your car skipping gears upshifting, that sounds like the same issue I am having, and it's definitely not normal. If you actually feel it upshift but not update the gear number on the dash, I'd take it to the dealer.

Also, I tried shifting with the gear stick to compare it, and it's so much slower than the paddles. When you pull the stick, the car reacts with a half a second delay. With the paddles there is zero delay from press to actual gear shift, as it should be with dct.

#12 ·
The car is at the dealer now. Will update when I hear anything. So far the car went from skipping shifts all the time consistently to only doing it every 5 minutes (while constantly shifting up and down with paddles during the drive). It seems like a glitch that is correcting itself, but could be total bs and is a more serious issue. We'll find out.

As far as your car skipping gears upshifting, that sounds like the same issue I am having, and it's definitely not normal. If you actually feel it upshift but not update the gear number on the dash, I'd take it to the dealer.

Also, I tried shifting with the gear stick to compare it, and it's so much slower than the paddles. When you pull the stick, the car reacts with a half a second delay. With the paddles there is zero delay from press to actual gear shift, as it should be with dct.
The number does update but it doesn't show the in between switch or stay in the gear I expect. It's annoying if you are in town and want to shift from 2nd to 3rd and ride that gear a bit. It'll display 2-4, but shift from 2-3 then 4. I'm curious if it's a temperature thing. I used to have door lock issues on my FX45 only when hot outside. I haven't looked into this much myself but wondered if it was a common thing with other owners.

#14 ·
Got my car back today. Turned out it was a faulty paddle shifter on the left (downshift). It was actually not skipping gears but giving extra signal to the car to downshift even more gears than told. If anyone is having any sort of issues with their shifting, don't be naive, take your car in, they can inspect it with a computer while driving, no guess work. The only way this car should shift is when you press the paddles (redline auto upshifts excluded). There should be no other weird sh*t going on.

#17 ·
Well, in my case, I actually use/used the paddles 99% of the time. What you mention is not a solution to the problem, but more of a coincidence. Mine also acted weird when the issue began. It went from acting up all the time consistently to only occurring once every 10 minutes. Even got to a point when I thought it fixed itself. But the issue was still there. They could see it on their diagnostic computer that it was giving an extra signal sometimes and shifting extra gears. Now that they have replaced my left paddle, the issue is gone. If yours starts giving you trouble again, don't hesitate, take it in. It'll be under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.