Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been lurking for awhile, never actually posted. But I have a couple things I wanna do - I own an 18 with the DCT. I hate how the transmission auto-shifts even in manual mode.. is tuning available to make manual mode fully manual? And also is there any type of ECU/DCT tuning available to make that retarded af 5k limiter in neutral go away? Will be willing to pay for any tuner who can help me out with this. Thank you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
lol, no need really, I just don’t like limiters. I prefer to be in control and if I wanna rev it then I wanna rev it haha.

Just note that the limiter is in place to protect the engine - especially when the block is still cold. My E63 AMG limited it to 3k when the engine was still cold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DCT needs to be able to rev match (I'm not sure if it does or not), downshifts feel harsh, especially 1st.
DCT needs to downshift all the day way down to 1st gear when coming to a stop. I noticed that sometimes it stays on either 2nd or 3rd, so when you decide to accelerate again, the DCT decides to have a "what's going on" moment due to the fact that it wasn't anticipating you to accelerate (it was expecting you to come to a complete stop). So when you hit that gas pedal the transmission engages the clutch but notices it's on the wrong gear and at the same time it has to downshift which gives you that feeling that the clutch is slipping. All that would be eliminated if the DCT gets programmed to downshift all the way down to 1st when coming to a stop. Sport mode helps a bit but manual mode pretty much eliminates that issue but it goes back to the 1st issue (harsh downshifts).

Another issue that I noticed is that when you step on it, rather than the computer downshifting to a lower gear to accelerate faster, it doesn't. I just see boost go up (then you get that turbo lag feeling). Makes a world difference when you manually downshift and step on it but would be nice if I didn't have to manually do that. Also does it in sport mode.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
DCT needs to be able to rev match (I'm not sure if it does or not), downshifts feel harsh, especially 1st.
DCT needs to downshift all the day way down to 1st gear when coming to a stop. I noticed that sometimes it stays on either 2nd or 3rd, so when you decide to accelerate again, the DCT decides to have a "what's going on" moment due to the fact that it wasn't anticipating you to accelerate (it was expecting you to come to a complete stop). So when you hit that gas pedal the transmission engages the clutch but notices it's on the wrong gear and at the same time it has to downshift which gives you that feeling that the clutch is slipping. All that would be eliminated if the DCT gets programmed to downshift all the way down to 1st when coming to a stop. Sport mode helps a bit but manual mode pretty much eliminates that issue but it goes back to the 1st issue (harsh downshifts).

Another issue that I noticed is that when you step on it, rather than the computer downshifting to a lower gear to accelerate faster, it doesn't. I just see boost go up (then you get that turbo lag feeling). Makes a world difference when you manually downshift and step on it but would be nice if I didn't have to manually do that. Also does it in sport mode.
Don't really need 1st gear unless you are stopped anyway. 2nd is plenty, even rolling slowly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't really need 1st gear unless you are stopped anyway. 2nd is plenty, even rolling slowly.

The problem is that it stays in 2nd gear all the way until the car is pretty much completely stopped. You can check this by rapidly flipping between auto and manual mode on the shifter as you are slowing down.

Normally while driving manual, if you were try and accelerate again without completely stopping, you would either ease the clutch into 2nd gear with a relatively slow and smooth motion and very little throttle, or just open the throttle and rev match and drop down to 1 since you're probably already in neutral already because you were originally expecting to stop.

With the DCT, when you accelerate again without having fully stopped, the clutch engages the flywheel too fast for trying to start up in 2nd gear. On top of that, you're pressing on the throttle probably more than is necessary for 2nd, so the flywheel is going much faster than the clutch.

At the moment, the only option to avoid burning the clutch and getting the shuddering is to either drive in manual mode, or manually dropping into 1st gear if you know that you didn't slow enough for the car to drop into 1st gear itself, or be easy on the throttle if accelerating again from a slow yet not completely stopped speed.

Edit: I just checked and it seems to shift to 1st gear at around 1-2 mph, which is pretty late.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The problem is that it stays in 2nd gear all the way until the car is pretty much completely stopped. You can check this by rapidly flipping between auto and manual mode on the shifter as you are slowing down.

Normally while driving manual, if you were try and accelerate again without completely stopping, you would either ease the clutch into 2nd gear with a relatively slow and smooth motion and very little throttle, or just open the throttle and rev match and drop down to 1 since you're probably already in neutral already because you were originally expecting to stop.

With the DCT, when you accelerate again without having fully stopped, the clutch engages the flywheel too fast for trying to start up in 2nd gear. On top of that, you're pressing on the throttle probably more than is necessary for 2nd, so the flywheel is going much faster than the clutch.

At the moment, the only option to avoid burning the clutch and getting the shuddering is to either drive in manual mode, or manually dropping into 1st gear if you know that you didn't slow enough for the car to drop into 1st gear itself, or be easy on the throttle if accelerating again from a slow yet not completely stopped speed.

Edit: I just checked and it seems to shift to 1st gear at around 1-2 mph, which is pretty late.
Sport mode helps in stop and go traffic but manual mode is much better to actually downshift down to 1st and leave it in 1st while moving in traffic.

It would make more sense for the DCT to downshift down to 1st between 5-10mph; it would make a huge difference in city driving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.