Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this has been talked about. in recent years cars equipped with the automatic or dct have been quicker in the 0-60 run compared to the Manual trans is true for the es as well?

which do you guys/girls think will be quicker in the 0-60 run?

·
Registered
116 Posts
not sure if this has been talked about. in recent years cars equipped with the automatic or dct have been quicker in the 0-60 run compared to the Manual trans is true for the es as well?

which do you guys/girls think will be quicker in the 0-60 run?
Car and Driver tested a manual at 6.6 seconds and I have seen some specs for the DCT at around 6.2-6.3 so the DCT is definitely going to be quicker. More gears and quicker shifts will do that.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Car and Driver tested a manual at 6.6 seconds and I have seen some specs for the DCT at around 6.2-6.3 so the DCT is definitely going to be quicker. More gears and quicker shifts will do that.
Having more gears doesn't help in itself, what helps is that you can space them out differently and run shorter gearing. Every gear including the final drive in the DCT is shorter = faster acceleration.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
interesting which would you guys prefer? i have a srt4 and am looking for a new dd to replace my 2011 sx forte.

·
Registered
100 Posts
DCT in sport mode felt quicker on the butt-meter when I test drove. I also think that perception would dictate that the DCT is quicker simply because it's a mash and go rather than the manaul - meaning we can drive quickly all the time in the DCT but in the manual we get lazy and can't be bothered. Reality is that race cars go DCT for performance reasons. If manuals were faster, race cars would still be manuals...

I enjoy the illusion of pushing my car to its performance limits with the ES's pretty good 6MT!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm going DCT because I'm not too big a fan of how manuals feel these days. No pushback from the clutch pedal. It's like stepping on a pillow every day in my 16VT

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pool i hear that most clutches these days are very soft i suppose to help with the ease of driving. my mom has a 2017 mazda 6 with the manual and its pretty squishy no feedback at all. my srt clutch feels great has weight or push back to it.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I've been driving manuals since I bought a 2003 SRT4 as my 3rd car. These include several RX-7's, Sentra SE-R's, turbo Miata and a GTi. I have zero complaints about the shifter and the clutch pedal in this car.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased.

Reactions: moneynmotion

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've had a dozen or so manual cars, tried an automatic, and went back to manual after 3 years.

I'm just so used to manuals, I can't do automatics, even DCTs.

Over 20 years driving manuals and shifting has become second nature.

One of the things I can't stand about automatics is the driveline jolt when you punch it and it downshifts. You can avoid this with the paddle shifters, but I never got used to them even after 3 years, they're just awkward to me, and much less satisfying than well executed shifts with a real manual transmission.

The last car I had was an automatic and it would blow the doors off my Elantra, but the Elantra is more fun to drive and a major reason why is the manual transmission, so it really doesn't bother me that the DCT might be a little quicker.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The clutch isn't Viper heavy, or almost perfect like the '03 350z but it's on par with all the other modern 'quick' cars, I have no faults with it.
Calling it soft, and squishy is bit harsh

·
Registered
16 Posts
while I will always love and enjoy manual transmission, there is something just too fun about DCT and paddle shifters, let alone before putting it in sport mode.

Reactions: Poolnoodle

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ill always be part of the manual transmission master race. Been driving since 1999 and have never owned an automatic.

It just feels like cars werent meant to have auto transmissions in them. when i see an auto gear shifter in a car i think either 1 of 2 things: the car is driven by an old person or a teenage girl.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I feel bad for people that have to use a auto due to physical problems for this car manual is fun time

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I've been driving since 1986 and have always had manuals, save one (beggars can't be choosers). Automatics, DCTs, whatever you're calling them today - they might as well be self driving cars. Boring, Sydney. Boring boring boring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
IMO the 6 speed manual is the way to go for this car. The clutch is nice and I love the shifter..coming from an E46 M3 I track on the weekends, this is a fun little car to drive.

Besides, you will probably face more problems down the road with a DCT vs Manual. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
137 Posts
Besides, you will probably face more problems down the road with a DCT vs Manual. Just my 2 cents
Yup, manual transmission has no solenoids, no actuators, no hydrualics, no fancy fluid, no computer control, just a tried and true, plain ol' box with gears and gear oil.

·
Registered
214 Posts
from my experiencs manual trans' still have issues that suck. common things that go bad depending on the car make that arent just regular wear items: Input shaft bearings, synchronizers, ahift forks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another question does the dct automatically shift in manual mode? My forte does that mess and it's annoying lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts