Elantra Sport Forum banner

Detailed information for our engine?

12K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  R1600Turbo 
Yeah, those head studs stretch and cause gasket failure, as Tyson noted. I'm pretty sure that's what was wrong with my VT when I traded it in for the ES, and I think it's what caused the motor to let go 2 years prior. Certainly increased boost will make head stud stretching more likely. However, the ES peaks out around 12psi where the '14 VTs peaked at 18.5 and the 15s and 16s peaked around 16psi. The 15s and 16s were pretty safe to tune, so that should mean that you can add a whole lot more boost to an ES without too much worry. If you do the upgraded head studs and gasket then you'll be extremely safe.

They did replace my short block under warranty when it popped, but I put it back to stock aside from the exhaust before I brought it in to them. The doofuses couldn't figure out that the ECU was tuned. If you have a bunch of aftermarket parts on the car then you're going to fight a hard battle to get it covered under warranty, Magnusson/Moss Act be damned.

And, to be fair, the '15 and '16 VTs didn't really blow motors unless they were pushed incredibly hard. So, at this point, the platform is relatively stable. They're just things to beware of when pushing the envelope.

Even with all those problems it sounds like your dealer experience was still good overall which is what some people can only dream for. Not all dealers do well at handling issues.
It was - after I put my foot down with them. They tried to claim that my downpipe caused an overboost condition and thusly caused the head gasket and #1 cylinder to fail. I argued that that was obviously nonsense, but they held their ground. I sat on it for a day and called them back and told them that I wanted the warranty refusal, including reasoning, in writing. They called back the next day and said they'd cover it - they knew they had a legal battle on their hands that they were going to lose, so they covered it.

It pays to know what you're talking about and be able to handle these louts at the dealerships. If you're professional, confidant, and subtly let them know that you're on top of it then maybe, just maybe, you'll have a not terrible experience. Heh.

I still feel that I got lucky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.