Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ES has 8000 miles now - maybe I am being too paranoid and it could just be the turbo thing but I don't really remember hearing that "hiss" sound before. I now hear that sound every time I accelerate hard.

Is this just a normal turbo sound? Is anyone also hearing less pop crack, exhaust noise as it clocks more miles, etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Everything is wearing in. Nothing to be alarmed about. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I notice it around 2-5k rpm if Im being a bit heavy footed but just always assumed it was the turbo spooling:rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Usually the turbo spooling would be heard in the exhaust. It's an easily-noticeable whistle if you remove one of the cats and have someone lightly rev the engine. If you remove more elements from the exhaust system, the whistle will get louder until you can hear the turbo spinning completely even at wide open throttle.

You probably hear the hissing noise because of the air being sucked through the intake system (whether it be an OEM airbox or aftermarket intake).

Reactions: CoolRonZ and Mohkx

·
Registered
46 Posts
I started noticing this hiss on my ES when the boost builds up. It definitely happens when boost crosses 8psi or so whatever the rpm is. Boost tops at 12.5 or 13 psi. Does this sound right for the ES? I do not remember hearing this hiss earlier. It is quite audible when the passenger window is rolled down in a closed street and accelerated. Not that audible when only driver window is rolled down. To a keen ear, also audible in the cabin with the windows rolled up.
I'm wary of taking it to the dealer due to the dreaded performing per specs response. Could it be the flexible part of the exhaust leaking when pressure increases? The ear tells me it is originating from something under the car towards the passenger side and not from within the engine compartment (I could be mistaken!)

PS: My 2017 ES Premium Pkg with DCT has no mods and is bone stock. Done 20k miles flawlessly till now. Google'd the hiss and led me to this forum. Did not know that an ES forum existed!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I started noticing this hiss on my ES when the boost builds up. It definitely happens when boost crosses 8psi or so whatever the rpm is. Boost tops at 12.5 or 13 psi. Does this sound right for the ES? I do not remember hearing this hiss earlier. It is quite audible when the passenger window is rolled down in a closed street and accelerated. Not that audible when only driver window is rolled down. To a keen ear, also audible in the cabin with the windows rolled up.
I'm wary of taking it to the dealer due to the dreaded performing per specs response. Could it be the flexible part of the exhaust leaking when pressure increases? The ear tells me it is originating from something under the car towards the passenger side and not from within the engine compartment (I could be mistaken!)

PS: My 2017 ES Premium Pkg with DCT has no mods and is bone stock. Done 20k miles flawlessly till now. Google'd the hiss and led me to this forum. Did not know that an ES forum existed!

Welcome to the ES forum, glad you are having a positive experience with your car so far!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are only reaching 13 psi of boost you may be facing a boost leak. Do you have any mods you installed before? the stock tune on the car allows you to reach up to 15-16 psi of boost. this boost usually kicks in around 3rd 4th gear at WOT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are only reaching 13 psi of boost you may be facing a boost leak. Do you have any mods you installed before? the stock tune on the car allows you to reach up to 15-16 psi of boost. this boost usually kicks in around 3rd 4th gear at WOT.
I see the max boost level @ 16psi between gear shifts or when the gas is punched to the floor suddenly. After that it drops down to 13.5 or 14 psi at WOT and remains steady till the next shift occurs when it jumps to 16 and then drops to 14 again. Never had any sort of mods on my car. I am considering mods as the car matures in the market probably within the next 12 months or so.
I dropped the car at the dealers today morning just so that there is a record of this issue with them. Already got a call within 2 hrs that the car is ready for pickup. I'm sure they have not done anything but that was expected. Will update later in the day if the hissing has stopped. But the hiss does sound nice though :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is already a lot of market support for our cars right now :) Sxth has a lot of nice bolt ons and Lap3 has the tuning market / turbo upgrade market down

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is already a lot of market support for our cars right now :) Sxth has a lot of nice bolt ons and Lap3 has the tuning market / turbo upgrade market down
Sxth is tuning the ES as well! Their are many companies that are tuning our cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sxth is tuning the ES as well! Their are many companies that are tuning our cars.

I would stick to Sxth and Lap3 as well, Ive already had a bad experience with Pierce and a couple of folks have been disappointed with Tork.

I would remove the tubing from the intake and the BOV if you want to hearing more hissing.

Then all you have to do is buy a rubber stopper for the intake tube to plug the whole. This can be found at any local hard ware store, i got one for .58 cents.

The thing that sucks about aftermarket tuning is finding someone reputable. Since the market is not very huge, people are trying to take advantage of the ES owners.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I would stick to Sxth and Lap3 as well, Ive already had a bad experience with Pierce and a couple of folks have been disappointed with Tork.
Tork I understand but Pierce? They don't do ECU tuning, and they're pretty respectable in my book.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The thing that sucks about aftermarket tuning is finding someone reputable. Since the market is not very huge, people are trying to take advantage of the ES owners.
The above is exactly what I'm worried about. I've got my Hyundai CRDi back in my home country tuned to insane outputs for its size but had to go through quite a bit of hassle to get where I wanted to be. The ES being a new entrant and running different hardware compared to the VT I've thought I would wait till a few success stories surface.

Update on the hissing sound: They have confirmed that the sound comes when the turbo starts spooling and that it is normal for all ES (as was expected). Since I do not see a drop in power and since other owners have noticed the hissing as mentioned previously in this thread, I will rest under the assumption that this is something that I missed to hear earlier. I always drive with the music on and the climate running.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The above is exactly what I'm worried about. I've got my Hyundai CRDi back in my home country tuned to insane outputs for its size but had to go through quite a bit of hassle to get where I wanted to be. The ES being a new entrant and running different hardware compared to the VT I've thought I would wait till a few success stories surface.
You don't need a lot of tuners when you have a few already that are reputable and have tunes available as we speak. Lap3, BTR, 845 Motorsports, SXTH Element. Pick one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!

I am having a same noise, is it all normal? I am getting a little paranoid. Can anyone please help?

My ES has 8000 miles now - maybe I am being too paranoid and it could just be the turbo thing but I don't really remember hearing that "hiss" sound before. I now hear that sound every time I accelerate hard.

Is this just a normal turbo sound? Is anyone also hearing less pop crack, exhaust noise as it clocks more miles, etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Hi!

I am having a same noise, is it all normal? I am getting a little paranoid. Can anyone please help?
Could be a boost leak. Not sure we can do much for you here. I'd say if the car is still under warranty, take it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would the warranty cover if its just the turbo spool? I still have two years of powertrain left. Since i am a new owner of a used car, not really aware of all that stuff. Help would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts