Elantra Sport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Soon as you guys release the tune I'm going to drive down there and buy everything you offer for the ES and have you guys tune it :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jeez Brag about it. :)
Dude I've gone to car forums for every car I've owned (srt4, coblat ss, g35, now this) and there's always dope ass vendors like Tork on there with great performance mods, and they've always been hella far away. I'm beyond stoked that Tork is a 45 minute drive away for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It feels like there is lack of power. I was debating buying the Focus ST but decided to go the cheaper route and get the ES. I love my ES, but the lack of power is starting to bother me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It feels like there is lack of power. I was debating buying the Focus ST but decided to go the cheaper route and get the ES. I love my ES, but the lack of power is starting to bother me.
The ES is at a large deficit versus the ST. I had the ST and now have the ES. The ST has 51 more HP and almost 100 more lb-ft of torque. The rated torque on the ST is 270lb-ft but many dyno at close to 270 at the wheels. The ST was a ton of fun but not as much as a DD. It was just a harsher ride and the Recaro seats sucked getting in and out of. But it had instant power and was pretty quick. I feel the ES is adequate for what it is but I hate to say that you made the wrong choice if speed was your main concern. My main concern was comfort and handling with a sprinkle of power. The Elantra is great for that, but definitely not as hot as the GTI or ST.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't feel like I made the wrong choice, I enjoy the car for sure, I just need a little more power. Which should come with a tune. I made the right choice in looks the ES looks great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Once i changed to the Tork pipe and put in a K&N filter and started using 93 octane its much much smoother. Even when i turn traction control off and plant it in first it hesitates, just not as much. It seems if you slowly roll onto the throttle it also doesn't hesitate as much.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't feel like I made the wrong choice, I enjoy the car for sure, I just need a little more power. Which should come with a tune. I made the right choice in looks the ES looks great!
Gotcha. I know I was a little harsh. I told myself that I had to pick a car that I was happy with as is. I want to keep the car for a while so I'm just going to keep it mostly stock so I don't have to worry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've felt it too. Nothing to cause alarm, but it is slightly uncomfortable. Was wondering if the 91octane
would get rid of it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
this is my second turbo car. i still have my srt4. if you let off the throttle going through a gear youll lose boost pressure. part throttle boost too much can hurt the engine. ive only had the ES a week so still breaking it. i dont have any issues with accelerating that i know off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Elantra GT and it happens frequently but not all the time. I think it is a safety hazard because it happens most frequently when I am making a left turn. I can't get through the intersection because of the lag. I have almost been hit by an oncoming car. The dealer said it was "normal" and related to the dual clutch transmission (I don't believe that).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Elantra GT and it happens frequently but not all the time. I think it is a safety hazard because it happens most frequently when I am making a left turn. I can't get through the intersection because of the lag. I have almost been hit by an oncoming car. The dealer said it was "normal" and related to the dual clutch transmission (I don't believe that).
I've never driven the Sport with DCT, but I can tell you the VW GTI w/DCT can cause some stress at low mph. Same scenario it just doesn't get up and go sometimes. Lot's of complaints at low speeds. I know a tune for those helps tremendously. Like night and day. Transmission tune that is. Not sure there will ever be a DCT tune for these cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
it is the DCT causing the problem for sure. the DCT change your gear to neutral while you are on the brake and almost at full stop, I m saying almost is because it would do that even if the car is still in motion. you can tell by looking at the rpm gauge. so I m suspecting when you doing left turn, you would release the brake and give throttle, but if you lift the throttle due to car in front of you moving too slow, the DCT would switch to neutral due to the low speed motion. so when you step on the throttle again, the DCT would lag as it goes from 1st to neutral than 1st.

you have to change your driving habit, throttle-brake-throttle at low speed will cuz that lag, myself is adjusting to this as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes...I have experienced this as well. I wasn't sure if it was normal or not? as this is my first Turbo vehicle.

I don't find it too bad, in mine..a slight hesitation..and it doesn't last long (a second) but it's definitely noticeable in all gears when pushing hard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have the 2018 Elantra Sport GT and it does this very same thing. So due to it being dangerous and I'm sorry most of you accept this as normal and I cant, so I walked into the dealer and said look this didn't happen for the first 4 months of owning it and then just started happening which makes me feel this isn't a "normal" thing. Anyhow they pulled and cleaned the plugs, then checked and cleaned the ECM contacts, removed paint so that there was a true ground for the cars contacts. Then checked and pulled all the charge pipes and hoses for the turbo and also opened the HAC case and checked it. They did also put in the service record that it loses communication with the ECM for no reason but did put it didn't change the way it ran when this happened. So after all this work, they returned it to me and it ran great for another almost 3 months then started doing it again just today. So they are going to contact Hyundai Canada and see what they are going to do as this is not a way a car should run, especially when you pay $30,000 for it. This is NOT turbo lag, or just the way it is or anything like that. Its a problem that needs to be fixed and I kinda think that the reason it disappears with tuning is cause most people with their tuning end up installing a twin catch oil can which prevents the fuel vapour, water and excess oil and fuel from being dumped back into the turbo system gumming things up as they essentially pulled everything off and cleaned up the turbo, plugs and everything and it ran great but its now doing it again and I think it has something to do with that. Now I have the new big gulp intake, cat delete, twin oil catch can and the tork pipe to install into my car but have been waiting due to this issue and wanting it resolved before I install my Torks parts. Although if it doesn't get resolved and I install and the problems disappear, they will be hard-pressed to even consider voiding my warranty as I frankly won't stand for it if a simple oil catch can, will help resolve this obvious stupid but severe problem of possible dirty fuel vapour, water and some oil being dumped back into the engine and causing such a problem.
Anyhow, this is my personal experience but when it doesn't happen for the first 4 months of owning it and then starts happening and then basically after a clean up on the turbo and pipes, etc and it stops it again from happening another 3 or 4 months only says to me it's getting debris and crap into the engine and turbo and it causes it to lag and stumble like an old Datsun with the head gasket gone in it. The only difference is the Datsun didn't cost me $30,000+. Honestly, this is just a stupid issue to be going through with a car that is new like this!

Cheers!

Kasper

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hello,

I have the 2018 Elantra Sport GT and it does this very same thing. So due to it being dangerous and I'm sorry most of you accept this as normal and I cant, so I walked into the dealer and said look this didn't happen for the first 4 months of owning it and then just started happening which makes me feel this isn't a "normal" thing. Anyhow they pulled and cleaned the plugs, then checked and cleaned the ECM contacts, removed paint so that there was a true ground for the cars contacts. Then checked and pulled all the charge pipes and hoses for the turbo and also opened the HAC case and checked it. They did also put in the service record that it loses communication with the ECM for no reason but did put it didn't change the way it ran when this happened. So after all this work, they returned it to me and it ran great for another almost 3 months then started doing it again just today. So they are going to contact Hyundai Canada and see what they are going to do as this is not a way a car should run, especially when you pay $30,000 for it. This is NOT turbo lag, or just the way it is or anything like that. Its a problem that needs to be fixed and I kinda think that the reason it disappears with tuning is cause most people with their tuning end up installing a twin catch oil can which prevents the fuel vapour, water and excess oil and fuel from being dumped back into the turbo system gumming things up as they essentially pulled everything off and cleaned up the turbo, plugs and everything and it ran great but its now doing it again and I think it has something to do with that. Now I have the new big gulp intake, cat delete, twin oil catch can and the tork pipe to install into my car but have been waiting due to this issue and wanting it resolved before I install my Torks parts. Although if it doesn't get resolved and I install and the problems disappear, they will be hard-pressed to even consider voiding my warranty as I frankly won't stand for it if a simple oil catch can, will help resolve this obvious stupid but severe problem of possible dirty fuel vapour, water and some oil being dumped back into the engine and causing such a problem.
Anyhow, this is my personal experience but when it doesn't happen for the first 4 months of owning it and then starts happening and then basically after a clean up on the turbo and pipes, etc and it stops it again from happening another 3 or 4 months only says to me it's getting debris and crap into the engine and turbo and it causes it to lag and stumble like an old Datsun with the head gasket gone in it. The only difference is the Datsun didn't cost me $30,000+. Honestly, this is just a stupid issue to be going through with a car that is new like this!

Cheers!

Kasper
I’ll tell you that the issue you’re having (or anyone else) isn’t fixed because of installing a dual catch can. It’s fixed because of the actual tune.

Hopefully you get your issue straightened out

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
So, since I re-gapped my plugs I haven't had this hesitation, and it's never been anywhere even remotely close to dangerous - it's barely even noticeable. On a whim I ran a tank of 87 octane through the car and... JESUS. The hesitation was back with a vengeance. I figured it might take a bit for the ECU to adjust, but even after well over a dozen duty cycles and several hundred miles it was persistent. Switched back to 93 and after 3 duty cycles... POOF. Gone.

Also, I did some monitoring of timing advance through the Torque Pro app with both tanks and there is no doubt - this ECU pulls timing dramatically when running on 87. With the ungodly amount of hesitation I understand why.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts