Elantra Sport Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just picked up a 2018 GMC Terrain for my wife that has a 1.5 liter turbo engine in it. It has the same hesitation the Elantra does. I changed the fuel to premium, no dice. Still has it. My Ford Fusion (with the 2.0 liter Ecoboost turbo) did it as well. My Focus ST did it until I gave it 93 octane and then it went away for the most part.

I say this because the issue isn't just a Hyundai issue. It's a tune issue. The cars are tuned for efficiency and safety, not performance. I run 91-93 in my Elantra Sport and it still does it (just not as bad). Changing plug gaps may help for a while but the ECU has proven to find a way to return the state of the tune back to what it likes so I don't see any changes helping long term unless you change the programming of the ECU.

When I get the hesitation in the Elantra Sport I just give it some more gas and it goes away. Horsepower cures everything. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
I just picked up a 2018 GMC Terrain for my wife that has a 1.5 liter turbo engine in it. It has the same hesitation the Elantra does. I changed the fuel to premium, no dice. Still has it. My Ford Fusion (with the 2.0 liter Ecoboost turbo) did it as well. My Focus ST did it until I gave it 93 octane and then it went away for the most part.

I say this because the issue isn't just a Hyundai issue. It's a tune issue. The cars are tuned for efficiency and safety, not performance. I run 91-93 in my Elantra Sport and it still does it (just not as bad). Changing plug gaps may help for a while but the ECU has proven to find a way to return the state of the tune back to what it likes so I don't see any changes helping long term unless you change the programming of the ECU.

When I get the hesitation in the Elantra Sport I just give it some more gas and it goes away. Horsepower cures everything. ;)
Hesitation is the opposite of efficiency. It means something isn't firing right in the cylinders. I mostly get hesitation during WOT.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hesitation is the opposite of efficiency. It means something isn't firing right in the cylinders. I mostly get hesitation during WOT.
I have noticed some hesitation at WOT. Which is why I think a mild sxth stage 0+ tune might be in my future just to get rid of the crappy stock tune

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two weeks ago, I leased a brand new 2018 Elantra GT Sport with automatic trans. I did not notice any throttle response issues during the test drive, either because it wasn't happening or I was too distracted by the sales guy yapping and too focused on acceleration while moving. Beginning the next day, however, and continuing since, I noticed that the car has considerable throttle delay/hesitation whenever initially stepping on the gas when coming off a complete stop. Very annoying.

The day after I leased the vehicle, I was at the dealership and mentioned the issue to my sales guy. He advised me to pull into the service department and have them take a look. The service attendant literally refused to look at it--said they get this complaint all the time, it's just the way the car behaves, and that's it. He would not even look at it or test drive it. Basically threw me out of there. I will not return to that dealer unless I get an apology resulting from the after-purchase survey I just answered from Hyundai, in which I complained about the throttle issue and the service department.

I bought a Pedal Commander to see if that would eliminate the throttle delay. It really does not. At best, it can make the delay seem almost gone by putting the PC in Eco Mode (it has 4 modes: Eco, City, Sport, and Sport+). In Eco mode, throttle lag seems gone, but that's because acceleration is sooo slow in that mode that it is only good for 10 or 20-mph bumper-to-bumper traffic (or if you drive like a little old lady). In the other modes, the PC makes the throttle response more aggressive than stock--Sport mode is a blast!--but the lag from a stop is still very much there.

The only quick fix that I've found to reduce the throttle lag is to turn off traction control. That reduces lag by about 50-60%, I'd say.

I'm going to send an inquiry about the issue to Hyundai at the following URL. They really should have a fix for this, especially if it is a drive-by-wire issue. It is really annoying and tainting my experience with the new car.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/contact-us.aspx

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Two weeks ago, I leased a brand new 2018 Elantra GT Sport with automatic trans. I did not notice any throttle response issues during the test drive, either because it wasn't happening or I was too distracted by the sales guy yapping and too focused on acceleration while moving. Beginning the next day, however, and continuing since, I noticed that the car has considerable throttle delay/hesitation whenever initially stepping on the gas when coming off a complete stop. Very annoying.

The day after I leased the vehicle, I was at the dealership and mentioned the issue to my sales guy. He advised me to pull into the service department and have them take a look. The service attendant literally refused to look at it--said they get this complaint all the time, it's just the way the car behaves, and that's it. He would not even look at it or test drive it. Basically threw me out of there. I will not return to that dealer unless I get an apology resulting from the after-purchase survey I just answered from Hyundai, in which I complained about the throttle issue and the service department.

I bought a Pedal Commander to see if that would eliminate the throttle delay. It really does not. At best, it can make the delay seem almost gone by putting the PC in Eco Mode (it has 4 modes: Eco, City, Sport, and Sport+). In Eco mode, throttle lag seems gone, but that's because acceleration is sooo slow in that mode that it is only good for 10 or 20-mph bumper-to-bumper traffic (or if you drive like a little old lady). In the other modes, the PC makes the throttle response more aggressive than stock--Sport mode is a blast!--but the lag from a stop is still very much there.

The only quick fix that I've found to reduce the throttle lag is to turn off traction control. That reduces lag by about 50-60%, I'd say.

I'm going to send an inquiry about the issue to Hyundai at the following URL. They really should have a fix for this, especially if it is a drive-by-wire issue. It is really annoying and tainting my experience with the new car.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/contact-us.aspx
This probably isn't what you want to hear, but the service guy was right. You have a dual clutch transmission in that car and that is how they behave. There is nothing wrong with the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
just traded my 17 es man for 18 es man.the 17 tune is set on KILL! my 18 is tuned verry low & clutch is heavier with no more bucking from a stop.my 17 was in the dealer 4 times for turbo bypass valve stuck (30DAYS IN A POS RENTAL) ALSO on my 18 the dealer tells us we can remote start & stop with the blue link ! Well this is not true as i have tried with blu link for over a week to troubleshoot because in fla. heat i wanted to be able to get ac pumping 10min. prior to travel. just a heads up for consumers being mis lead on this service.. Glen

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
just traded my 17 es man for 18 es man.the 17 tune is set on KILL! my 18 is tuned verry low & clutch is heavier with no more bucking from a stop.my 17 was in the dealer 4 times for turbo bypass valve stuck (30DAYS IN A POS RENTAL) ALSO on my 18 the dealer tells us we can remote start & stop with the blue link ! Well this is not true as i have tried with blu link for over a week to troubleshoot because in fla. heat i wanted to be able to get ac pumping 10min. prior to travel. just a heads up for consumers being mis lead on this service.. Glen
No remote start on the manual transmission. Sounds like your salesman didn't do his homework.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I only use 93 octane and I've never noticed any hesitation at any RPM. Worth noting, I also have an upgraded solenoid and BOV.

I don't like that my hood seal sort of pokes up at the front of the hood and I don't like the tow point cover on the rear bumper that never stays seated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I feel ya bruh. my car has been in and out of the dealer for more than a month. In the end it was a wastegate bypass valve... They finally gave me a loaner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The DCT in the ES has some unique limits inside of it.

Try this.

Manually shift, but before each shift, lift off the throttle and move back onto the throttle with the manual shift. The DCT ECU doesn't know what to do. Now, this is DCT shift management causing the lag and apparent throttle issues. This is why we have been working on the DCT ECU for a while now trying to address the manners of the DCT trans. If we can get it to shift like a DSG trans and take away all the un-decisive shifting, it will be a huge improvement for the car/engine/trans :)
is there going to be a rev-match option to?:eek:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm having the same issue now as well. Car seems like it's in this so called "limp" mode. I've been doing a bbn lot of data logging lately, before I did the Tork Stage 0+ tune, and almost every day since. The one thing I've noticed is that throttle position percentage caps out at 84.95% regardless of what mode I'm in...

Could limp mode be limiting the throttle input?

FYI... had the Tork tune for a few really fun days. Then the DCT slipped 2nd gear and its since not accelerating as hard. Boost still hits required levels (22psi), and it certainly does launch as hard as it did in those first few days...

Also had a minor boost leak, all fixed now, had a few clamps ever so slightly loose after a few hard pulls after getting the tune in.

Going to check the EBC solenoid and associated hoses next, perhaps even change it over.

Anyone know how to get rid of this limp mode if it exists?

·
Registered
209 Posts
No CEL or faults... nada

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
If it was in limp mode you would know. And the CEL would be on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It certainly feels like something is robbing power. Boost still hits required levels but it feels sluggish.
Car feels like it driving fine aside from lack of power.
I cleaned the MAC EBC solenoid yesterday, going to put that back on to see if it's that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm having the same issue now as well. Car seems like it's in this so called "limp" mode. I've been doing a bbn lot of data logging lately, before I did the Tork Stage 0+ tune, and almost every day since. The one thing I've noticed is that throttle position percentage caps out at 84.95% regardless of what mode I'm in...

Could limp mode be limiting the throttle input?

FYI... had the Tork tune for a few really fun days. Then the DCT slipped 2nd gear and its since not accelerating as hard. Boost still hits required levels (22psi), and it certainly does launch as hard as it did in those first few days...

Also had a minor boost leak, all fixed now, had a few clamps ever so slightly loose after a few hard pulls after getting the tune in.

Going to check the EBC solenoid and associated hoses next, perhaps even change it over.

Anyone know how to get rid of this limp mode if it exists?
The throttle position cap at 85% is normal. You can never be at 100% since the throttle plate is physically there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awesome good to know about the throttle. Thanks.

I think I need to book in with a local dyno to see what the car is actually doing... this is giving me the shits now.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts