Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theyre not the longest but long enough to be noticeable. Sometimes i feel like im shifting a truck or something. This causes the shifting to feel less than sporty at times.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Shift linkage bushings, base bushings, and a weighted shift knob will make the shifting feel dramatically better, but will obviously do nothing to change the length of the throws.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've got a product on the drawing board for shortening the throws but it's not a short shifter. ;)

I'll get CAD shots up here as soon as I can. Probably towards the end of the month!

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I've seen some setups like that... my wife has one in her mini. The shifter is about the same height as stock, but it has a bend in it that makes the throws themselves much shorter as the shift knob stays close to the same position as the bottom end of the shifter.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Ive never been a fan of short shifters. Imo they make the throws too short and akward feeling.
Depends on the short shifter. The TWM ones are most definitely super short. I like that, personally, but certainly not everyone will. The one that Tork makes for the VT is a great middle ground shifter - when they get theirs done it might be something for you to look in to, or something like what SXTH is talking about above. You can have shifters that shorten the throw without actually being short.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've seen some setups like that... my wife has one in her mini. The shifter is about the same height as stock, but it has a bend in it that makes the throws themselves much shorter as the shift knob stays close to the same position as the bottom end of the shifter.
I'm making something a little different :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Coming from a dozen or so sporty-ish manual transmission cars, I don't find the throws to be that long.

I drove a brand new Mazda3 manual transmission before the ES and didn't find it to be any better.

Really, I haven't driven any stock FWD setup that has great shift feel and short throws, and I've owned a few examples from Mazda and Honda which are supposed to be the best. Best FWD manual transmission I've ever driven was a gen 3 Integra 5 speed. The later Honda 6 speeds were a step backwards (I owned one).

My main beef with this transmission is the difficulty going into reverse.

RWD manuals are where it's at, no linkages or cables with artificial notchy or rubbery shift feel, the shifter goes directly into the transmission. Wish we could replicate that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts