Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont own the premium or tech package whatever it's called lol just the regular ES i guess so i dont have the infiniti sound system but still they could've put a better sound on the non tech package... example VW have amazing sound system even on their base model cars

·
Registered
248 Posts
My only real qualms with the base system was bass distortion when the volume was pushed sky high, otherwise it sounded downright decent.

However I did replace all 6 speakers already and the clarity has improved quite a bit, as has the ability to handle painful-to-the-ear volume levels without distortion. does lack some low low end bass which is why I'm considering a sub install.

But really to be fair for most average people it's not a horrible system at all.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I like it a lot. I think it sounds great for a base system.
Same. It's a lot better than the system that was in my Kia that had zero bass even with it turned all the way up. Good quality MP3's on my USB stick and it's pretty good for a base system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was actually surprised how good it sounded to me... Could be a little louder in the back seat, but I think they did that so people don't make their kids deaf. I have a slim 8" powered sub on its way, not looking for anything great, just a little more thump.

Reactions: Poolnoodle

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find it to be just meh. I'm coming from a 2015 VW Passat that had 8 speakers and actually sounded really good. The base ES system is pretty poor in comparison...it's definitely a downside for me. But, I'm also paying $50 less a month, and the ES is MUCH more fun to drive, and I have a sunroof now, so the audio was a small price to pay, really. Definitely not worth another $2k for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The way things are looking, I'll probably have to live with the base sound system for a month or two before I strip the interior bare to soundproof the heck out of it & install a complete aftermarket system. Hopefully it won't be completely objectionable to me. I'm a complete wack job when it comes to sound quality.

Anyone had a chance to test the limits of file types & number of folders/files the base rig can support via USB?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Anyone had a chance to test the limits of file types & number of folders/files the base rig can support via USB?
I haven't messed with file types, but I currently have about 55 gigs of music (320kbit/s mp3s) on a 64gb thumb drive and it has no issues. Takes a minute for it to read the stick when it first boots up, but other than that there are no issues.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i have yet to have the usbs work with my thumb drives in the es. i put in my thumb drives and it doesnt recognize the mp3s on them but it sees the pics on them. anyone else having this issue?
Tried putting them in folders first? I have several folders on mine to sort them out (80's, 90's, Electronic, etc) and have no issues with playback. I even take the time to use a program to add the album art and song details so they show correctly on the screen. Most of my songs are ripped from YouTube videos.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Tried putting them in folders first? I have several folders on mine to sort them out (80's, 90's, Electronic, etc) and have no issues with playback. I even take the time to use a program to add the album art and song details so they show correctly on the screen. Most of my songs are ripped from YouTube videos.
I have some in folders, I have some right at the root of the drive. All of them play.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It appears the base model system can support a total of 8,000 320K MP3 files. I had a USB stick in it with about 11K, and it simply stopped reading after 8K. Pretty decent number of files for a stock unit, but I'm used to 40K+, so this is pretty meager for me. I think it's quite sufficient for most users, though. It took several minutes to play after first insertion, but only about 30 seconds after each new startup since then, which isn't horrible.

Sound-wise, I'd say it's pretty good for a stock setup. It's problems are more of omission: the lack of clarity, dynamics, detail, punch, bass power and extension, soundstaging, and imaging make for a highly sub-par system for my ears. However, the overall presentation isn't harsh or way off tonally, and it's not fatiguing or objectionable. It's just not very good in absolute terms for an audiophile. This is fine by me since I've always planned on replacing the entire thing anyway, and until I do so in a couple months, I can live with short-term it without too many complaints. I think most would like it just fine, but it's pretty lacking for mental patients like me. Also, I did check out the upgraded package system, and it was noticeably better than the base model. Still pretty severely lacking for my wants, though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Who seriously has 40,000 songs? :eek: Like, I'm super picky with my music and have less than 1k...
I do. :D I have about 100K songs on my computer, so to me 40K is still a compromise, and merely 8K is a bummer. I'm very album oriented, and the discographies of only a handful of some of my favorite artists would reach 1K quickly. My true goal would be to have every single song I ever feel like hearing stored locally at my fingertips, and although this is not really obtainable, getting as close as reasonably possible is the realistic aim. So what I see as severely limited song selection + overall low sound quality = replace the entire system. I realize I'm far from typical in this, though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I do. :D I have about 100K songs on my computer, so to me 40K is still a compromise, and merely 8K is a bummer. I'm very album oriented, and the discographies of only a handful of some of my favorite artists would reach 1K quickly. My true goal would be to have every single song I ever feel like hearing stored locally at my fingertips, and although this is not really obtainable, getting as close as reasonably possible is the realistic aim. So what I see as severely limited song selection + overall low sound quality = replace the entire system. I realize I'm far from typical in this, though.
Mount a 'portable' SSD drive with USB behind the console somewhere and have the cable end 'hang' into the little storage compartment. Plug it in when you want.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.