Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the things that annoy me about the ES now that I have spent a good deal of time behind the wheel..

1. RCTA is useless. Every time I leave, I back the ES out of my driveway onto a busy road. I don't depend on RCTA as cars are easy to see coming, but this is my 2nd car with the feature (other was a Mazda3) and the difference is night and day. The Mazda picked up cars way down the street but moving fast enough to warrant waiting. As best I can tell, if I ever actually needed RCTA in the ES it would serve only to notify me that I was being hit. The range seems to be only a few feet from the bumper.

2. That the tail/brake lights are LED but the high mount stop light is incandescent.

3. That you can't turn the automatic function for the headlights off but leave the DRL on.

4. Trip computer indicated MPG is off (and optimistic) by more than any previous car I've owned.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've noticed what seems to be a lot of 'disklike' threads on here recently as the miles add up. I don't own an ES but it was in the running so its interesting to see what owners think. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
175 Posts
headlights

Here are the things that annoy me about the ES now that I have spent a good deal of time behind the wheel..

1. RCTA is useless. Every time I leave, I back the ES out of my driveway onto a busy road. I don't depend on RCTA as cars are easy to see coming, but this is my 2nd car with the feature (other was a Mazda3) and the difference is night and day. The Mazda picked up cars way down the street but moving fast enough to warrant waiting. As best I can tell, if I ever actually needed RCTA in the ES it would serve only to notify me that I was being hit. The range seems to be only a few feet from the bumper.

2. That the tail/brake lights are LED but the high mount stop light is incandescent.

3. That you can't turn the automatic function for the headlights off but leave the DRL on.

4. Trip computer indicated MPG is off (and optimistic) by more than any previous car I've owned.
I think i understand what you mean about the headlights, but if the automatic lights are turning on they probably should be (i.e. dusk, rain). Otherwise you could be pulled over, since lights should be on for those conditions, most people think the all time running are sufficient but technically in many states they are not.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You can switch to “parking” lights if you just want to run DRL land not have auto headlamps on.

The MPG a computer varies. On my 2016 Elantra it was off by 3. I’m hearing it’s off by about 1.5-3 for the ES.

For what it’s worth. It was off by 2.5 on my 2013 mustang GT. Hand calc is the way to go anyway, the computer is just there to give you an idea.

Only time I bother with RCTA is in parking lots. And that’s until I’m able to see in both directions behind me. No replacement for our eyeballs.

Don’t know what to tell you about the LEDs. It’s a 3rd brake light. There isn’t much to them.

Reactions: 8777

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's been more like 3-4 for me.
Thats nuts, but about where my 2016 elantra was at. I keep forgetting to hand calc when I fill up to see what mine reads. If I can go a week without hammering on it, i might be able to see some pretty good numbers haha.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Thats nuts, but about where my 2016 elantra was at. I keep forgetting to hand calc when I fill up to see what mine reads. If I can go a week without hammering on it, i might be able to see some pretty good numbers haha.
I use Fuelly so I just input the numbers after every fill up. After 54 tanks, 33.3mpg average.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.