Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, previously I've just been having a local mechanic do oil changes on my 2018 Elantra Sport DCT. I have a simple question but there's different answers in places I've looked so I'm coming to the experts here to get the definitive one.

I'm using Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W-30. I take the filter off and drain all the oil out of the car, then I lubricate the new filter's gasket with the motor oil, then I screw the filter on hand tight, I lower the car back down, and then How much oil do I put into the car?

Also if I'm missing a step please let me know, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport
7 Posts
Hello all, previously I've just been having a local mechanic do oil changes on my 2018 Elantra Sport DCT. I have a simple question but there's different answers in places I've looked so I'm coming to the experts here to get the definitive one.

I'm using Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W-30. I take the filter off and drain all the oil out of the car, then I lubricate the new filter's gasket with the motor oil, then I screw the filter on hand tight, I lower the car back down, and then How much oil do I put into the car?

Also if I'm missing a step please let me know, thanks in advance.
First of all, I would seriously consider using a 5W40 full synthetic instead of a 5W30. I use Motul, but you can also get Castrol at Walmart. Pennzoil has it too, but harder to find and only in 1qt bottles. These engines are sensitive to oil dilution, which means your 5W30 will perform more like a 5W20 over time. Keeping short oil change intervals helps, as well as driving long distances vs. short trips. Not just a Hyundai/Kia issue, Honda's and other cars have it too.

Before you screw on the new oil filter (I would recommend OEM filter) fill it up with oil as much as you can. This means you will get oil pressure quicker when you start your engine for the first time after the oil change. Your turbo will appreciate that. Do put oil on the seal like you already said. Don't over tighten the filter.

I fill mine with about 3qt. Then start the engine and let it idle for a bit. Turn engine off. Wait 2 minutes or so, then pull dipstick and check level. Add oil as needed, just keep checking the dipstick. Do NOT over fill. I keep mine just below max.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Look in the owners manual under capacity or specifications. I believe its 4.75 quarts. Get some drain plug washers from the local parts store also.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
4.75 will likely overfill it. When I do my changes, I put oil in the filter before installing, and then it usually takes a hair under 4 qts to get the oil level to the F mark on the dipstick.

+1 for 5w40. I was using Motul X-cess until recently until the price on Amazon got a bit high for my liking so I switched to Castrol Edge Euro 5w40 and am liking how much quieter the engine is after the switch. Muted some of the clatter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts