Elantra Sport Forum banner

Do you guys get looks and stares at your elantra sport often?

12K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  kenssd 
#1 ·
Ive noticed in the last few days that a lot of people will stare at my es. The other day i pulled up at the mall and stopped near the entrance of it and a dude kept staring at it and wouldnt stop. I think it might be due to the fact that its the sport model, and aside from mine, i never see any other ones out on the road. They seem pretty rare...

#3 ·
I think it has to do with 'it has a Hyundai badge on it, wtf' looks. Or the quite throaty purr it has at low rpm. Or the backfire randomly when blipping the down shifts.

But yah, and pretty much like any neat car, it's basically all doods..

#26 ·
I wondered why I hadn't seen more of the yellow cars on the forums. Didn't realize it was only available in Canada. I get two reactions to my car - either they love it and think it looks great, or they hate it. Had someone ask why I would buy a car in such an ugly colour of green. :eek: LOL.

I was hooked the first time I saw it in the dealership! Took it for a burn and couldn't believe how much it reminded me of the Plymouth Challenger I drove when I was young. I love that the car is like a stripped down version of the regular Elantra. The old muscle cars weren't about comfort - they were about kicking ass and lookin' good doin' it.

I haven't seen any other Elantra sports in my home town, and the only other car I've seen that was the same colour as mine was a BMW.

Everyone I've let drive the car gets in looking sceptical and gets out saying, "Wow!". :D

#13 ·
Not getting any stares here in VA. It's just an econobox and I don't drive it hard, so I'm not expecting much and that's the way I like it. I have had passengers say they were impressed by the interior though - a lot of people (including myself) didn't give Hyundai a second thought when car shopping, so it usually surprises them.

#16 ·
Before this generation came out the larger grill of the turbo veloster automatically identified it as a turbo model. When Hyundai came out with the latest gen of the elantra they gave all of them the larger grill thus making it much harder to distinguish other than more subtle styling cues. I wish they had made the grill of the non turbos a bit smaller.

#22 ·
A couple of comments.

I have been fuelling it a couple of times and had people comment on how aggressive it looks. I think it is when people have a chance to actually look and take in the front end look that they identify the unique look beyond the regular Elantra. Driving past and a quick glance one may just mentally say, "Elantra", and not give it another thought.

#23 ·
Only from old guys...:D

One older gentleman in a Santa Fe sport jogged over while I was getting gas and asked a ton of questions about my ES. He loved it! He wanted a sporty Hyundai but didn't care for the Veloster and felt the Sonata sport was just too soft. Said they didn't really NEED a second car, but thought a Hyundai made more sense than a Corvette or other crisis car. He'd never heard of the ES, so I pointed him to a few local dealerships that I knew had some leftovers on the lot. Felt like I should've made a commission that day. :p

The other day I passed a fellow in a new Accord sport who stared at the car with his mouth open as I dropped a gear and passed. The expression on his face made me think that he thought I was driving an exotic or something! Maybe he was just yelling at me. :lulz:

#24 ·
Having it's stock look from factory, I've been overlooked. After I dipped a part of the trunk, my fin and emblems, and plopping on my legacy California plate, I've started getting some looks. I'm one of two (other is silver but haven't seen him in months) in my area in SoCal. It's when I took my car to Barstow when I started getting some stares. I wish I'd get more attention but i also love the subtlety of no one expecting anything from me.

#27 ·
Yellow owner. I catch people trying not to look, for like 2 minutes straight! lol
Lot's of you doods take a good long stare. On three separate occasions, kids, little ones, like 10-15 yrs old, got all googly eyed and smiled.
I think that is exactly why I got the ES, AND in yellow. It makes my inner kid smile.

#28 ·
#31 ·
This car is invisible to most people still, but for some reason, I've noticed more than a few ESs in my town that is one of the smaller 'big cities' in California (Somewhere north of LA). Just the other weekend, I parked next to another silver ES just like mine at Target, and just saw a black one today with a messed up front lip at Wally World. But there are tons of the pedestrian 2017-18 Elantra models out there, so non-car people won't notice.

Even with my Corolla XRS, I still would lose it in a crowded lot full of other Toyotas too. For car enthusiasts, the ES isn't still widely known still, compared to a Civic Si. The one Hyundai that everyone seemingly knows now is the Veloster N, especially in its signature blue color.

#32 ·
I got my 2018 6mt ES electric blue in May 2019. One of my early oil changes was at a valvoline instant oil change. as i pulled in I noticed 3 cool vato technicians kind of stopped and stared. I think what helped is the sound of the stock exhaust reverberating inside the shop as I as I pulled forward. throughout the oil change the workers were genuinely curious about the car and I showed my geeky appreciation about my purchase and what I liked about the car. they explained they had never seen this car before and thought it was pretty cool especially the color and the sound and that it was turboed. I noticed them all looking as I pulled away after the oil change and I waved goodbye. it was a pretty cool feeling to be noticed but in general I think most people don't notice this car in passing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.