Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this the other day when trying to merge onto a highway. It was in the 60's-70's, car running for a few minutes at this point and temp gauge just about a 1/4 of the way up. I go WOT quickly to attempt to merge and the car felt like a base Elantra. I figured the car was warmed up plenty so I was a little surprised. The car had no power and it almost felt like the wastegate was 100% open not allowing the car to boost. I tried this again to make sure it wasn't a fluke and sure enough the power wasn't there.

Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this or thought it is strange? None of my other cars seemed to have this problem. It is no big deal to me since I am sure it'll help preserve the engine but it would be dangerous in certain situations if you press the throttle expecting some thrust and you get nothing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Manual or DCT?
With the DCT it takes a bit for it to change gears while it has the revs wound up and boost built. Not sure about what's happening with yours, though. The power has always come on with a tiny bit of spool time for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the responses. The car is manual BTW. I figured it was a warm up/enriched/closed loop mode that was to blame. I just never encountered a car that was so conservative with power delivery during this stage.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. The car is manual BTW. I figured it was a warm up/enriched/closed loop mode that was to blame. I just never encountered a car that was so conservative with power delivery during this stage.
Gotta protect that powertrain for 10 years, 100K miles!

My last car was an auto and it wouldn't wind out until it was fully warmed up, the transmission wouldn't let you go past a certain RPM.

The traction control is pretty hardcore on the ES too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotta protect that powertrain for 10 years, 100K miles!

My last car was an auto and it wouldn't wind out until it was fully warmed up, the transmission wouldn't let you go past a certain RPM.

The traction control is pretty hardcore on the ES too.
I agree. The traction control is so intrusive. Turning traction control off is the first thing I do in every FWD car I've owned. Nothing worse than making a turn onto a busy road and a small slip of the tire causes the car to cut power.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When a vehicle is still warming up they are in enrichment mode, this is essentially excess fuel to get the cat up to operating temperature so it can do its job.

The car is very very sluggish in enrichment mode, once it is up to operating temperature it should be normal.

Tyson
It is also limited for oil to warm up for best turbo protection. Your turbo is spinning at much higher speed and it needs well flowing lubricant.

·
Registered
92 Posts
cold star Lamda target* and cold start spark table* will limit it the power out put. On my other set-up it was set at 80C. with your gauge set at 1/4 you where close(even over) this temp. but as said, it may be more restrictive with the turbo and engine longevity minding.
*ref to SCT table name

Tyson did you break in the ECU for those info yet? lamda target? CL to OL trigger?%TB and/or MAP?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cruise control when ES is cool.

When I use the car for the first time during the day. The cruise control will not come on. I have a 16 km commute to work and most of this is highway. After working my shift on the way home the cruise will come when asked, even though the car has sat for my shift. I have ran errands with the same result. The cruise will not come on when asked until after my first stop. Every stop after that it works fine. Has anyone else noticed this. Put this in this area because I was wandering if it may be related to operating temps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I use the car for the first time during the day. The cruise control will not come on. I have a 16 km commute to work and most of this is highway. After working my shift on the way home the cruise will come when asked, even though the car has sat for my shift. I have ran errands with the same result. The cruise will not come on when asked until after my first stop. Every stop after that it works fine. Has anyone else noticed this. Put this in this area because I was wandering if it may be related to operating temps.
I have never encountered this. Next time it doesn't work I would shut off and restart the engine and see if it works then. Maybe something is wrong and it will only work every other key cycle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, that is definitely not normal. I can turn cruise control on the second that I start the engine, even after a cold start.

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
241 Posts
I never gun it when the motor is cold so I haven't noticed power being pulled. Also no such issues with cruise control, I often activate it on my first couple of streets maybe 60-90 seconds after a cold start.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You really want to avoid activating the turbo (via heavy acceleration) until the car is at operating temperature. Its very bad for the turbo to WOT before its at temp.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is there any Hyundai official evidence in their documentation or something that this happens? Having a bit of a discussion on another forum and there are skeptics that the car pulls power in ANY form when cold.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Is there any Hyundai official evidence in their documentation or something that this happens? Having a bit of a discussion on another forum and there are skeptics that the car pulls power in ANY form when cold.
It pulls timing.

It also pulls it when it's too warm, when there's 1/4 tank of fuel or less, when running regular octane fuel, etc, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
grinsaplenty

Mate when you leave home and drive off have you applied the brakes at any stage since starting the car.

Reason I ask is I had a car where cruise would turn on but I was unable to set it until there had been some sort of brake application. Just figured it had something to do with ABS or traction/stability control.

·
Registered
76 Posts

I can't find this either. There are lots of mentions on the forum about power limiters on the ES, but no one has any documentation. The only info I found where anyone had actually dug into the ECU was from Tork while working on a tune. In one post they confirmed the stock tune is for 87 octane and that no such power limiters exist in the ECU. They did say there is an acceleration limiter that you couldn't reach on stock wheels/tires - I don't know what this means.

My car most definitely does not respond the same when engine is cold, but it performs the same regardless of fuel level in the tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never encountered this. Next time it doesn't work I would shut off and restart the engine and see if it works then. Maybe something is wrong and it will only work every other key cycle.
I've had the same issue happen only once to me too, still dont know the cause but the CC would go to 'set' only to one second later turn off. A restart of the car fixed it and i never really thought more of it because it didn't come back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts