Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I did to improve the sound of my 2017 Elantra Sport with the base sound system:

1. Use an Android phone with a good output DAC (LG with Quad-DAC is the best). If you use iPhone, you're out of luck, live with the mediocre output DAC.
2. Dump the crappy lossy mp3 files and start using FLAC files instead which are lossless and sound much better.
3. Use the analog 1/8" audio input in the dashboard instead of Bluetooth, which uses a lossy compression for audio, similar to mp3 (degrades sound quality).
4. Use a music player with a 10-band graphic equalizer. I'm using PowerAmp which is generally considered the best. It's $3.99 from the Google Play store, but well worth it.
5. Start playing around with the equalizer. I listen only to classical music and acoustic jazz, so my settings won't be the best for pop music.

Attached is a screen shot of my settings. Note how I roll the bass off because these speakers are incapable of reproducing very low frequencies, and it's just a waste of amplifier power and driver excursion. The biggest improvement comes from adjusting the midrange. The stock system has a pronounced "boxy" or "nasal" sound to it. My settings flatten out the response which provides for much more clarity and detail. A slight rise at the very high frequencies compensates for the cheap tweeter's roll off at the upper end. It took me several weeks of tweaking to arrive at this setting, but it works great for classical and acoustic jazz. In fact, it sounds so good now that I'm putting off replacing the speakers until they start to physically deteriorate.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I find that using FLAC files on a USB stick work & sound a lot better.
And you can use the touch screen to search through your music.
Here in Western Australia. It is illegal to touch your phone AT ALL.
Penalty: Three demerit points and a $250 fine. With having 12 points over a 3 year period before you can get them back.
If you go over the 12 point. Loss of licence for a Min of 6 months.

So looking for music or changing an album or track cannot be done here.

Plus I think the USB option works & sounds a lot better

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here in Western Australia. It is illegal to touch your phone AT ALL.
Penalty: Three demerit points and a $250 fine.
I think it's 3 points and $400, not to mention double demerit times of the year....

This is basically why I use android auto exclusively, it very much forces me to leave my phone completely alone, plus I've upgraded all the speakers and added a sub.

I do have an LG G7+ tho that has the awesome Quad DAC ... so it's tempting to do some apples to apples comparisons.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think it's 3 points and $400, not to mention double demerit times of the year....

This is basically why I use android auto exclusively, it very much forces me to leave my phone completely alone, plus I've upgraded all the speakers and added a sub.

I do have an LG G7+ tho that has the awesome Quad DAC ... so it's tempting to do some apples to apples comparisons.
Ahhh. You are correct.. Just checked the website I got the info from.. 2013....
So checked again for 2018.. Yep 3 points & $400..

I use a 16gb usb drive with music on it. Only use Bluetooth for phone calls..
Personally don't like the look of Android Auto. And you can't search Tracks or Albums while the car is running.
Built in safety feature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Wow, being in the USA, I've never heard of such a thing. We can pretty much do anything we want to our cell phones.

However, all the LG phones with the Quad DAC have a 10-band graphic equalizer built in. In "Settings", go to "Sound" and then "Sound Quality and Effects". This is where you turn the Quad-DAC on for plug-in devices, so you have to use the headphone out from the phone, and the AUX (analog) input in the car. If you use Bluetooth, the QUAD-DAC isn't available. Under "Equalizer" you'll see the 10-band graphic equalizer and you can create your own custom setting, just like with Poweramp, but you're not modifying your phone at all. The audio quality improvement is pretty fantastic, and it doesn't cost anything! Also, if you do have your phone connected through Bluetooth for making phone calls, make sure you disable "Media Audio", otherwise the music will go via Bluetooth even if you have it connected via the analog input.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I find that using FLAC files on a USB stick work & sound a lot better.
Hi, Purplehazeffc. Have you found any limitations in terms of number of files/folders that the unit can address? Looking to replace my aging (although still quite terrific) 2006 Sonata V6 with an Elantra Sport. It would be easier and cheaper to maintain the stock head unit, but my aftermarket HU in the Sonata allows virtually unlimited files & folders, something I cannot do without, as I have a massive collection of (mostly) FLAC files - around 100,000. I have a 1TB SSD in a USB enclosure attached to the JVC HU, which allows about half my music. (Eventually I'll upgrade to a larger SSD.)

Hopefully there aren't any extra functions tied into the stock head unit - the infotainment units are increasingly handling more and more non-music related features.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts