Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Most of us have to commute towards the same destination day in and day out, be it dropping off the kids or getting to work and it can start feeling dull after a while. AutoWeek thinks the 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport can provide an escape from the mundane.

What we have is a commuter car injected with even more sportiness to appeal to enthusiast; featuring multilink independent suspension, 5 mm rear stabilizer bar, increased front and rear spring rates, sport-tuned dampers, and large 12-inch front rotors. Not only that, the Sport variant gets a peppy 1.6-liter turbocharged inline-four engine, delivering 201 hp and 195 lb-ft of torque.

Once on the highway the GT Sport’s upgraded suspension feels like it’s on the firmer side, but that’s fine because it’ll improve handling and discomfort will be forgotten once you punch the throttle. The turbo will quickly accelerate the hatchback up to speed and passing with a downshift is a breeze.

But to really enjoy the Elantra GT Sport, one may need to take the longer, curvier road to work. Tackling those corners, the body remains rigid and there’s barely any roll. Once you’re out of a turn, simply grab a lower gear, let that heavy foot work the throttle and the car will quickly speed on to the next turn. A heavily weighted steering wheel with plenty of feedback will inspire confidence in any driver.

“If you want a rewarding, fun-to-drive hatch that can be packed with tech features, the new GT Sport is worth a test drive.”

·
Registered
98 Posts
The trims they have now are nice but what they need to do is come out with an N-Sport version. That will really take the edge off the daily grind and they will sure have the buyers to go with it. If Ford and Honda can do it then there's no reason that Hyundai can't do it.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
The trims they have now are nice but what they need to do is come out with an N-Sport version. That will really take the edge off the daily grind and they will sure have the buyers to go with it. If Ford and Honda can do it then there's no reason that Hyundai can't do it.
We're not getting one. We are however getting a Veloster N.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting that Autoweek dinged the elantra sport but loved the elantra gt sport. I would think they are a very similar driving experience as drivetrain and suspension are about the same.
I take magazine reviews with a grain of salt.

Here is what Car and Driver said about the SAME 6 speed manual transmission:

Elantra Sport:

"The six-speed shifter suffers long throws and vague engagement, and the clutch is nearly as uncommunicative"

Elantra GT:

"The standard six-speed manual transmission features crisp action and well-defined gates, but its throws are on the long side"

HEY CAR AND DRIVER..........IT IS THE SAME TRANSMISSION!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Elantra Sport:

"The six-speed shifter suffers long throws and vague engagement, and the clutch is nearly as uncommunicative"

Elantra GT:

"The standard six-speed manual transmission features crisp action and well-defined gates, but its throws are on the long side"

HEY CAR AND DRIVER..........IT IS THE SAME TRANSMISSION!!!
They probably don't want to come off as recycling content. Sounds dumb.

What do you guys think about its looks? Personally, I prefer the Mazda3 more for hatchback exterior. I know the power is clearly different, but this hatch won't make me look twice when I drive past it as much as the 3.

·
Registered
338 Posts
"5 mm rear stabilizer bar"...really?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I found this quote interesting: "A heavily weighted steering wheel with plenty of feedback will inspire confidence in any driver."

Isn't the steering on the Sport sedan one of the biggest complaints from magazines? Zero feedback they say? And now the GT has plenty? Has anyone driven both cars to compare? I can't imagine they are so opposite in steering feel.

On a side note, I rented a VW passat base model the other day and wow what terrible steering feel. You couldn't tell anything the wheels were doing. And way too light. Zero resistance when turning. I can't imagine owning a car like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.