Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I seen on sharkracing.com they have an intercooler kit, pnp bov setup, and a bigger bore throttle body, but I don't see anyone listing a full turbo upgrade kit?

Anyone see one out yet??

Hyundai Elantra - Elantra Sport 2017+ - Performance - Shark Racing
We have a stuffed turbo at Tork MotorsportsSelect a Product | DamnFastDD.com
What's the threshold between being fully bolted and upgrading the turbo, to where you would need to start upgrading the internals... How much power / pressure can this motor take before it needs to be beefed up?

What's the boost limit on the stock turbo before it starts to fail?

·
Registered
46 Posts
What's the threshold between being fully bolted and upgrading the turbo, to where you would need to start upgrading the internals... How much power / pressure can this motor take before it needs to be beefed up?

Car is out for 2 months and you want to go bigger turbo lol I like your style.
But seriously it's going to take a bit more time before they really uncover the difference between this motor and the VT, if there really is any at all.
My guess is it's longblock is the same as the VT so whatever the VT can take. Probably just minor tuning/hardware changes that make it a little updated.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Have not developed that far into the vehicle yet, I do not have answers at this time
I was more less looking for your experience with the platform, not vehicle specific. This is the same motor that's in the VT and I know y'all have done alot with the VT.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I'm willing to bet the internals are different. Firstly, the VTs were running 18.5 psi up to 2014, and then they dropped it down to around 15 psi. The ES peaks out at 12 psi, so definitely something different going on. They're going to have to dig into the block and find out what pistons and rods the car is using to know anything for certain. they upgraded both from 2013 to late 2014 in the VT, and then again in 2015. So no one knows at all what's happening in side this block. The 2013 VTs were ticking time bombs if you did anything even remotely aggressive with them. The 2014s were hit and miss. From '15 on up you didn't see motors blowing up the way you did with the 13s and 14s. With all of that in mind you can see why the folks at Tork aren't too keen on saying what can and can't be done at this point and what the longevity might be. They could have gone back to weaker pistons and rods due to the lower amount of boost that the car runs - they could have gone bigger. It's really hard to say.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm willing to bet the internals are different. Firstly, the VTs were running 18.5 psi up to 2014, and then they dropped it down to around 15 psi. The ES peaks out at 12 psi, so definitely something different going on. They're going to have to dig into the block and find out what pistons and rods the car is using to know anything for certain. they upgraded both from 2013 to late 2014 in the VT, and then again in 2015. So no one knows at all what's happening in side this block. The 2013 VTs were ticking time bombs if you did anything even remotely aggressive with them. The 2014s were hit and miss. From '15 on up you didn't see motors blowing up the way you did with the 13s and 14s. With all of that in mind you can see why the folks at Tork aren't too keen on saying what can and can't be done at this point and what the longevity might be. They could have gone back to weaker pistons and rods due to the lower amount of boost that the car runs - they could have gone bigger. It's really hard to say.
Yeah in another thread Tyson was suspecting that turbo might be slightly different (hence my longclock comment) you can give a bigger turbo less boost and not change out internals.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Yeah in another thread Tyson was suspecting that turbo might be slightly different (hence my longclock comment) you can give a bigger turbo less boost and not change out internals.
That's true, but there are other ways to get the same power out of a motor with less boost without changing the turbo.

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
After inquiring about the throttle body Shark Racing has 1) said that it is a 60 mm not 63 mm and 2) changed their website.
You can just do a TB swap from a 2.0L car, it's 60mm.

Reactions: kdetlor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, anyone know the special tool/socket for the clamps on the throttle body pipe, I'd like to open it up for some cleaning but it requires a small bullet shaped pin type socket i'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I know this may not be related to OP, but, anyone know the special tool/socket for the clamps on the throttle body pipe, I'd like to open it up to inspect/cleaning but it requires a small bullet shaped pin type socket on the clamp itself I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Hello, I know this may not be related to OP, but, anyone know the special tool/socket for the clamps on the throttle body pipe, I'd like to open it up to inspect/cleaning but it requires a small bullet shaped pin type socket on the clamp itself I'm not familiar with.
It's just a cap. Use some needle nose or a flathead to pop it off.

Reactions: SXTH-Element
1 - 12 of 12 Posts