Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 1 yr of ownership at 10,940km the "Engine light" came on.

*Checked the oil level, it's fine (did the first oil change at 4k)

*I checked the Gas Cap as well but why would the Engine light come on if the fuel level is half, last time I opened was to fill full tank?

I used an Obd2 reader, it reads
"P0455 generic / Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)"... Innova Obd2

I tried to erase the code just like what I do with my other previous vehicles but it says "Erase has failed/make sure ignition in On position"

Any ideas what's causing the engine light on?

Oil level and gas cap checked.... we've been in a long cold temp here in Toronto and today it actually hit 15c. Could the rise of temp activate the Engine Light on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
me too...

I have 21k on the car and it's been in 4 times for the same P0455 large evap leak. They said it was the gas cap and cleared the code first and sent me on my way. Engine check light came back a week later and they said it was the canister purge valve - they had to order that and then when I went in to have it changed - they did more troubleshooting and said that the charcoal canister was the problem. They had to order that also- I went back last Wednesday and they changed the canister and purge valve and guess what...it came back again this morning. As you can imagine, I'm not happy. 5 trips back in a month. The service manager is supposed to call me Monday when he's back to work to 'discuss' the issue. Humm.
It also smells of gas in the cabin once and a while even though I've been keeping the tank only about half full so they can do their diagnostics.
Getting pissed off with this car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seems like it's a common issue as someones on Facebook group also mentioned the same things for 2017 ES Turbo that I remember.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It's most likely going to be the canister close valve we found canister close valve freezing up in cold climates
This.

P0455 is a very common issue and a Hyundai master tech told me that replacing the close valve may be the fix. They may also be working on a software patch.

23k on my car, no issues but I also live in a warm climate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2017 elantra sport is turning 1 year in 1 month.

I will update if it's covered under warranty, and what kind of codes they're gonna tell me (even though I know it's P0455.

When I bought the car I know it's 5 year for the engine/tranny. 10 year for rust since I opted for the rust corrosion module. All other else including rips/tear on steering wheel and seat, curbrash on rims are covered within 1 year.

If I don't get the answer I like, I'll contact Hyundai Canada.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm at 5 visits and they have opened a case with Hyundai Canada- that was last Thursday. I have not heard back yet.
Citizenbourne are you in Canada?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was there something wrong with the tank or was it just a precaution? I've been telling them that I smell gas once in a while but they pretty much have been discounting it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im at 29000k and its the second time i have the problem.
Check engine light came on last friday afternoon, i put gas on wednesday before that.

The purge valve P0455 had to be changed.
The lady at the counter told me this happens because i put too much gas when filling the car.
Next time they might have to change the canister.

She said i should stop filling at the first click.
Its the first time i ear of this.

edit: just found an explanation https://www.freep.com/story/life/2015/06/28/dont-top-off-gas-tank-environment/29269833/

·
Registered
244 Posts
She is right as far as stopping in the first click, I don't think that caused the purge valve to go bad! Hyundai will either have an update or just replace the valve! They usually stick. If you overfill the tank what happens is you get fuel into canister into the close valve and then the purge valve therefore you have to replace all those components.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
This is a common problem with these cars in cold weather. There is no fix yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts