Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice that their engine temperature actually drops in cold weather? A few times when it’s about -15 Celsius and I’m idling with the heat on (engine fully warmed up) the engine temperature will go down to almost nothing and start blowing lukewarm air. I thought it might be because the engine is so small. Is this normal?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine did this when it was extremely cold. The needle would start to drop when I would stop. I never had the heater temp change, however. I remember this being discussed before. I think the location of the temp sensor was the cause of this. Hyundai should probably have the cars idle a bit higher when it is that cold outside.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Completely normal. The Non-Turbo 17' I had took in excess of 25-30 minutes to get to operating temperature in a Michigan winter. Small Motor=Small Heat Generation=Higher affect to ambient temperature

·
Registered
37 Posts
Completely normal. The Non-Turbo 17' I had took in excess of 25-30 minutes to get to operating temperature in a Michigan winter. Small Motor=Small Heat Generation=Higher affect to ambient temperature
An engine block heater is a mandatory accessory on the ES here. I plug in the car when the overnight temperature is -10C (14F) or lower. After start up I let the engine run for about 1 minute and then drive off slowly. It takes more than 10 minutes of urban driving for the temperature gauge to reach or approach "normal" (i.e., pointer at just below the midpoint), but the climate control (which I leave on Auto @ 19C [66F]) is producing warm air after driving only two blocks.

BTW, the ES is the first car I've owned with a heated steering wheel. It is a great feature in this climate!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The reason it happens is because the engine and cylinder head are aluminum and the block is an open deck design.
The aluminum open deck block is great for keeping the engine cool when needed, but makes it take much longer to warm up in cold weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it's not normal, i can be sitting in a parking lot for 10 mins and mine will go all the way to 0....it's a bad thermostat stuck open , Hyundai has had recalls on this in previous years and im assuming they haven't learned their lesson yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That sure don't sound normal. Mine takes about 20 to 30 mins to warm up to operating temp when it's really cold outside. But I start getting the warm air in the cabin in about 10 mins of running though the temp needle is just past 'C'. Sometimes when idling before reaching operating temp, the temp needle will fall by 1mm or so but it comes back up soon more than it falls. And once it reaches its operating position it stays put there idling or driving. This image is after 20 mins of driving at 60mph with my climate set to 20 degrees Centigrade. I am in Michigan and there was a real cold spell a week ago. I have to say the engine starts and runs flawlessly with not a hiccup.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
343 Posts
We had a morning temperatures of about -35C (-31F) third day in a row now. Car is in the garage overnight. I can confirm that in a city crawl engine takes in excess of 20 minutes to reach half the operating temperature (1/4 deflection on temperature gauge). Once I hit motorway and travel at speed of 70-80km/h, engine warms up nicely. At the same time, during evening drive home from work (block heater is plugged in 2 hrs prior to my departure time) when temperature rises to about -25C (-13F), engine is warming up quickly 5-7 minutes of driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.