Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are tunes being developed but these are tunes in which we would have to send in our ECU to be flashed. And I am sure some people will undoubtedly do that. However, I am also sure that everyone that would be willing to send in their ECU would also prefer an access-port tune instead as it it would basically be plug and play. I don't know too much about how an access-port tune is developed, but I do know that Cobb and Diablo develop such tunes for other vehicles, but neither elected to develop the tune for the Veloster Turbo. Granted, I think the elantra sport will have a large driver base than the veloster (VT is is much more unique and not as generally appealing)

Is this something that Torque or Sixth Element would ever develop? Could we reach out as a forum to Cobb or Diablo? I honestly think Torque and Sixth Element would have the people who would buy the ECU flash buy an access-port tune instead and those who are unwilling to send in their ECU would also buy this as well. So there would clearly be more sales and a larger market for it.

Personally, I would be more than pay 500-600-700 dollars for an access-port tune. I think there are enormous benefits to being able to control the tune, ie putting it back into stock, valet mode and etc.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
They still haven't developed a port flash for the VT and they've had, what, 4 years to do so? Don't count on it. Cobb has zero interest in Hyundai, period.

Also, the prices you're talking about are near the prices for an ECU flash. Tork's stage 1 tunes are around $600 (their stage 0 is around $400) and Sxths stage 0 is right around that same price. So, if anyone even did a port flash option you'd be looking at closer to $1000 for a tune.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They still haven't developed a port flash for the VT and they've had, what, 4 years to do so? Don't count on it. Cobb has zero interest in Hyundai, period.

Also, the prices you're talking about are near the prices for an ECU flash. Tork's stage 1 tunes are around $600 (their stage 0 is around $400) and Sxths stage 0 is right around that same price. So, if anyone even did a port flash option you'd be looking at closer to $1000 for a tune.
Darn, Ok thank you for the insight.

My only thought was that the ES will probably sell better than the VT so there could be a larger calling for it. Also, I saw the prices range from 400 up to 1400 for those types of tunes so 500-700 was being optimistic and is what prices for GTI access-port tunes seem to be.

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
It may sell better than the VT, but it isn't really going to be sold to a modding crowd. You can expect this community to stay rather small and niche.

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
I get that people are skeptical, but why so negative?

Cobb couldn't crack this any quicker than those who are working on it, lol. The encryption is very impressive (said a software engineer at COBB :) ). You have to remember, we are COBB Pro Tuners and we have had a few talks back and forth with them in regards to the Hyundai and KIA markets. The resources required to hack the port read would be a massive waste of time for COBB, pending they don't have a market or the attention of that market.
I didn't say anything negative at all. I simply said not to count on it. As in... it's possible, but don't hold your breath waiting for it. I also never said anything about Cobb except that they're not interested in tuning Hyundais at all. That's it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts