Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reference Thread: http://www.elantrasport.com/forum/146-hyunda-elantra-sport-turbo-likes-dislikes/1906-dislike-engine-hesitation-hard-acceleration.html

Hey Everyone!
I just purchased a beautiful electric blue ES about a month ago and coming from a Fiesta ST, it feels like a much classier ride. One thing that I am trying to figure out is the inconsistent throttle response/power delivery. Ford's 1.6T felt much more responsive and regardless of throttle input, was very consistent. As a car, I like the ES MUCH better but I kinda miss the consistent throttle response from the Ford. :cool:

The above thread is talking about the issue I am experiencing, so I am thinking it is a part of the stock tune? Seems odd that at mid-throttle (20 - 80% input) I am getting a stutter/jerking feeling, like the boost is not staying consistent. Can either of our resident tuners (Tork or SXTH-Element) chime in on whether this will be addressed with a tune?

I know most of this was covered in the above thread but thought I would open the conversation again to:
1. Introduce myself since I am a new member!
2. Ask if anyone has found a way to minimize/eliminate this issue?
3. Ask our pro-tuners if their upcoming tunes will eliminate this issue and what sort of gains they are hoping for with just a tune?! :D

Looking forward to being a part of this community!

Brian

·
Registered
133 Posts
A lot of it involves the stock tune. I have found switching to higher octane fuel helps a bit.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Seems odd that at mid-throttle (20 - 80% input) I am getting a stutter/jerking feeling, like the boost is not staying consistent.
This is what I am experiencing as well, to the point that it feels like a misfire. No CEL though, and I've run 91 octane since I got the car in April.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is what I am experiencing as well, to the point that it feels like a misfire. No CEL though, and I've run 91 octane since I got the car in April.
I haven't noticed it to that extent. Then again, my car is bone stock. Won't be for long so we'll see how it does after the SXTH intake, DP and IRD are installed.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I haven't noticed it to that extent. Then again, my car is bone stock. Won't be for long so we'll see how it does after the SXTH intake, DP and IRD are installed.
I have two of those 3 parts and it's still there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My all-stock car exhibits this behavior as well...I have been mainly commuting on the interstate, and run 87 for all but a few tankfuls.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two of those 3 parts and it's still there.
Yeah, my car is bone stock, running 91 octane since new. I am interested to hear what Tyson at Tork and SXTH have to say about their upcoming tunes, maybe this is just a stock tune issue and it can be ironed out via software.

So glad to hear I'm not alone on this!!

I agree that it can feel like a misfire! Its not terrible all the time, but putting my foot down 40% in 6th gear feels really uneven while passing on the freeway. Never experienced this with any other turbo charged car (2012 GTI, 2015 GTI and 2016 Fiesta ST) so I know its not a normal "oddity" of forced induction.

Seems like there is some good power potential with this engine, so I'm happy to wait it out and see what magic the tunes can conjure up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmm. I definitely noticed it when using 87 but it's not as noticeable with 93, or even 91 ethanol free. I can definitely agree that our stock tuned power curve looks like a Bob Ross, "pretty little tree."

·
Registered
2,413 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
No, definitely not turbo lag. If you're continuously accelerating and above 2000 rpms, then the turbo is spooled up and compressing air. Once you let off the accelerator some and dip below 2000 rpms you might experience some turbo lag when you go back on-throttle, but that should really be it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Somewhat related, but has anyone noticed the somewhat abrupt power delivery when you put the pedal down?

Sometimes it feels like there is a slight lag, then BAM, it takes off.

It seems like turbo lag would be a softer transition, this almost feels like a little clutch drop.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Somewhat related, but has anyone noticed the somewhat abrupt power delivery when you put the pedal down?

It seems like turbo lag would be a softer transition, this almost feels like a little clutch drop.
I've noticed recently (even this morning) that if my car sits for a while and I start the initial clutch release after putting it in reverse to back out of the garage, there's a delay and then a sudden jerk like the clutch was stuck and then released suddenly. Doesn't happen after everything is warmed up.

·
Registered
137 Posts

I've noticed recently (even this morning) that if my car sits for a while and I start the initial clutch release after putting it in reverse to back out of the garage, there's a delay and then a sudden jerk like the clutch was stuck and then released suddenly. Doesn't happen after everything is warmed up.
Yes, sound similar to what I've noticed.

·
Registered
88 Posts

This, if I remember right, is a safety net in our stock tune. Only happens in 1st and 2nd but third flattens the curve pretty well and 4th is raw power. 99% sure it's there to be preventive and keeps us from blowing up in our 100k warranty.

Same idea with the stutter, pretty sure it's to prevent 'danger to manifold' (get it? FnF?) but seriously, to prevent too much boost as these gammas use to blow like a virgin on prom night in 2013.
I had a 13 VT auto and have a 16 VT manual.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I would imagine that it's more the slave cylinder taking a second to actuate for the first time. Once everything is warmed up then you should have no worries.

Pure speculation, of course. I've been wrong before. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would imagine that it's more the slave cylinder taking a second to actuate for the first time. Once everything is warmed up then you should have no worries.

Pure speculation, of course. I've been wrong before.
This sounds plausible. It doesn't feel tune related, it feels mechanical.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Coming from the Ford Ecoboost world, heat soak and a very picky ECU had a lot to do with engine hesitation while you are giving it the loud pedal business. The Ford intercoolers would heat soak pretty easily and from there it was all about pulling as much timing as the ECU possibly could to keep things safety first. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case on this car too. I'd imagine an ECU tuned for 200hp on a 1.6 liter using 87 octane would have a lot of safety parameters to meet before it gives you all the power you're commanding through that gas pedal. Especially since Hyundai offers a 100k warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Coming from the Ford Ecoboost world, heat soak and a very picky ECU had a lot to do with engine hesitation while you are giving it the loud pedal business. The Ford intercoolers would heat soak pretty easily and from there it was all about pulling as much timing as the ECU possibly could to keep things safety first. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case on this car too. I'd imagine an ECU tuned for 200hp on a 1.6 liter using 87 octane would have a lot of safety parameters to meet before it gives you all the power you're commanding through that gas pedal. Especially since Hyundai offers a 100k warranty.
If only we could read the Knock Ret PIDs with the Torque app... grrrrr!!!
:mad:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Im not sure about mid-throttle. Ive had it where the mine feels like it doesn't shift at all when going from 1st to 2nd at times. Just feels like 1st is revving high and not shifting and then somehow Im in 3rd. Im sure its clear but Ive got the DCT.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts